baumer

Star Wars TFA Tuesday Actual: 29.5M !!! (-6%)

1 minute ago, Biph Shmata said:

I think that's because Avatar on the TV doesn't pop like it did in theater, it goes from being an amazing immersive experience to a really good sci-fi action movie. 

This is absolutely why it hasn't held up as well as a sort of mini backlash against 3D in general.

27 million Wednesday? In all seriousness, how is it that this movie isn't slowing down. I mean it's already made over 600 mil, just about what JW and TA made LTD in 12 freaking days . Is this hold coming from the fact that Star Wars has more fans, are grossing numbers a complete lie, are people that usually don't go to the movies watching this, did the population double, are fanboys  going broke seeing it 20 times? This type of run doesn't make sense, what do you guys think is putting this head and shoulders above other blockbusters?

Just now, Sagemode87 said:

27 million Wednesday? In all seriousness, how is it that this movie isn't slowing down. I mean it's already made over 600 mil, just about what JW and TA made LTD in 12 freaking days . Is this hold coming from the fact that Star Wars has more fans, are grossing numbers a complete lie, are people that usually don't go to the movies watching this, did the population double, are fanboys  going broke seeing it 20 times? This type of run doesn't make sense, what do you guys think is putting this head and shoulders above other blockbusters?

Yes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Yes.

I can only imagine Universal pulling those JW numbers out of their asses and Disney going like "Fuck this, by the power of Nolan* we will go higher!!!".

*Nolan is the one true God for every studio executive. 

2 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

The Power of the Old Cast is what's selling this.. STAR WARS will always be Han Solo and Luke Skywalker and Leia and that's what people want to see.. This was the only way to go after the Prequels and without the Old Cast, the New Cast wouldn't have been able to pull in numbers like this.. It's true.. This is what we should've gotten back in 1999 and didn't...

I realize the old cast helped here, but with so much saturation at 600m, who hasn't seen this yet? What I'm getting at is how can it do 27m on its second Wednesday , a number most blockbusters can't get on its first Monday. Is the series just that popular? Maybe the amount of money the prequels made masked the popularity of it. 

11 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I know that I'm late to the party, but Jesus, that SW fever is pure madness! I went to watch the movie last Sunday, and at least 80% of persons at the shopping mall was wearing a SW T-shirt (probably thanks to our biggest clothing store that is selling everything about SW), then, I watched the movie with a full room, and everybody screamed when an old character appeared, after this, I went to a kids store for some X-Mas gifts, and everything there was about SW, even my mother that don't like going to cinema, already watched the movie two times, and even bought the cup of the movie, this is insane, especially because SW was never a big brand here, I definitely never saw something like this and I doubt it will see something like this again

Tell me about it, I went to say TFA today in IMAX at a 12:40 P.M.(which it was amazing in #D btw) showing and we were running late. and I was like "I hope they don't sell out" and my dad was like "it's a matinee on a weekday it's not going to sell out" we get there and we had trouble finding seats together. then later today I went to costco. and one of the lady serving samples there is like"have you see the new star wars yet" and I was like yeah I saw it again today actually and she keeping talking about how she wanted to see it. and this is a lady probably in her late 50s.  I'm also having trouble remembering the last time I went to a store that didn't have star wars stuff. I remember the first thing I thought when I first heard they were doing a new star wars with the original cast returning was that it was going to be the biggest film of all time. but actually seeing it unfold before my eyes is a surreal thing indeed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

I realize the old cast helped here, but with so much saturation at 600m, who hasn't seen this yet? What I'm getting at is how can it do 27m on its second Wednesday , a number most blockbusters can't get on its first Monday Friday. Is the series just that popular? Maybe the amount of money the prequels made masked the popularity of it. 

Avatar did 760M so I guess it is still possible for it to do at least 160M more :redcapes: 

13 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

Avatar did 760M so I guess it is still possible for it to do at least 160M more :redcapes: 

Yeah but Avatar took a long time to do that. By the time it made it to 600m, it slowed down. This is at 600m and going on as if it just opened, doesn't make sense. At some point, there's overlap with fans of popular films. For example,  I like Star Wars, Avatar, JP series, Batman, Superman, Spiderman, etc. I contributed to the BO run of the movies from those series. To outgross everything as fast as it did and not be frontloaded, I'm guessing SW just appeals to a  lot more people that don't go to see other series. Either that or the population doubled. 

Edited by Sagemode87

14 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

Yeah but Avatar took a long time to do that. By the time it made it to 600m, it slowed down. This is at 600m and going on as if it just opened, doesn't make sense. At some point, there's overlap with fans of popular films. For example,  I like Star Wars, Avatar, JP series, Batman, Superman, Spiderman, etc. I contributed to the BO run of the movies from those series. To outgross everything as fast as it did and not be frontloaded, I'm guessing SW just appeals to a  lot more people that don't go to see other series. Either that or the population doubled. 

It's a confluence of things. First off, no matter what ones personal opinion is, the general audience loves this movie (94% on RT). It has the old cast which brings in a lot of nostalgia from the 35-55 age group. And even without all of that keep in mind that the Phantom Menace sold 90 million tickets back in 1999. That was without the old cast and no 3D/Imax/PLF screens (or very little) and that movie is terrible by comparison. So just with population growth of 15% in a decade, we'd be looking at 105 million tickets sold and they're selling at a higher average price thanks to the new formats. 

When you take all of this into account, TFA's numbers aren't quite as surprising. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

It has expanded the audience. My dad goes to 1 movie a year and there wasn't a thought about if he'd go. He was so excited to go. This was must see and its like that for many people that generally don't attend movies.  It is also hitting a mega broad spectrum. It's a monster family movie, it's a monster fan boy movie and also a monster with the older crowd. Especially with the return of the big 3 and call backs to the original trilogy.

Combine that with it being a pop culture phenomenen that it is and its a tsunami of must see demand that we haven't seen before.

Edited by Dark 33Legend of the Sith
  • Like 4