#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

4 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

Lol I wasn't referring only  to myself. Look up "The Force Awakens sucks"  on YouTube. You'll see all the problems I don't post. I don't post all the problems myself because of  spoilers.  Kylo Ren and Overpowered Rey are 2 of my biggest gripes though. 

Aren't you tired hating on 1 movie yet?

You can search "every popular movie name + sucks" on Youtube, no movie is without flaw (sin).

I think the thing about SW compared to  other fan bases like Marvel, LOTR, HP and other franchises domestically is that it has appeal across such a massively wide demo, it is not even comparable. 

Sure there are many young people who think SW is old school or many people who think its geeky, however many older people think Superheros are lame or HP is not part of their generation and etc. 

Growing up watching films over the past 20+ years, myself, friends and family have been into many difference fan bases or franchises but to me the one I always found that most people got the references or jokes to always was always Star Wars.  

Also its all relative.

Star Trek is hugely popular but more due to the old TV show series.

HP popularity still stems from the books imo. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

sage you don't have to do this to yourself. I didn't like the movie but I'm not gonna pretend that everyone else deep down hates it too.

I'll be the martyr, I can take it :sarah:

Yeah but I guess I just can't see how people can overlook such huge issues. Maybe I'm overestimating people. As much as I crap on the movie here, I genuinely thought it was a good movie. Being far from great imo, I'm not understanding the box office run. Congrats to the movie for its accomplishments, but I feel brand power and die hard fandom  put it where it is. 

10 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

Lol I wasn't referring only  to myself. Look up "The Force Awakens sucks"  on YouTube. You'll see all the problems I don't post. I don't post all the problems myself because of  spoilers.  Kylo Ren and Overpowered Rey are 2 of my biggest gripes though. 

We can do this with every major tentpole and find tons of dumb videos :lol:

• Like 2

Some of you new guys maybe aren't familiar with our spoiler policy. Spoilers are strictly prohibited anywhere except the review thread for the first two weeks. After that, they're allowed in the general movie thread but not elsewhere until four weeks after release.

Spoiler-tag any movie specifics!

31 minutes ago, Biph Shmata said:

There is one way to do a relatively early check of the impact and lasting power of the movie. Count the number of little girls that knock on your door for Halloween dressed as Rey, I'm betting that number will be pretty large.

My sister (13) just saw this for her second time. She claims as of now, she is going to be Rey for Halloween. She just bought a Blue lightsaber at Target too with her gift card, the force has grown strong in her. 

• Like 5

Spoiler

After the 1st watch, I thought TFA was pretty fucking average. I don't understand the press and reviews the movie is getting. It is a blatant rehash of the first Star Wars except without the compelling and suspenseful action near the end. I understand it is absolutely the brand, but there is no way this movie is as good as the original trilogy especially Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope. I'm probably jaded towards this movie too, b/c I read a bunch of the books. Kylo Ren and Fin were atrocious characters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sagemode87 said:

I'll be the martyr, I can take it :sarah:

Yeah but I guess I just can't see how people can overlook such huge issues. Maybe I'm overestimating people. As much as I crap on the movie here, I genuinely thought it was a good movie. Being far from great imo, I'm not understanding the box office run. Congrats to the movie for its accomplishments, but I feel brand power and die hard fandom  put it where it is. 

Geez, man, get over yourself. :lol: 

And really, separate your feelings about the movie (and any inherent quality) from the box-office. There are plenty of movies I think are awful that make a ton of money. And the same goes for anyone - except what we think is "Awful", "OK", "good", and "awesome" isn't the same either.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, bladels said:

Aren't you tired hating on 1 movie yet?

You can search "every popular movie name + sucks" on Youtube, no movie is without flaw (sin).

Spoiler

True, but most of those flaws are not  the main villain being made into a joke. 

Just now, terrestrial said:

O.K., I thought the movie discussions similar to a review too are not allowed (means the not BO related I liked / hated /whater this and that about the movie...)?

That was for the first week rush (or so). We've relaxed the rules now -- impressions and mini-reviews are fine, as long as they're spoiler-free. (And now spoilers are allowed in the main SW thread as well.)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

I'm sure someone likes the conversation but I'm sick of the inflation/admissions conversation.

It's a never ending discussion. I want numbers for today. Someone find them.

I'm bored to the gills about those too

Do you want to know how much it made during 2 January in SK (as in for sure, but not finalized)?

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

That was for the first week rush (or so). We've relaxed the rules now -- impressions and mini-reviews are fine, as long as they're spoiler-free. (And now spoilers are allowed in the main SW thread as well.)

I was afraid about that...