#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Sw is doing ok. Its disappointing that it hasn't reached a billion yet. Also disappointing that it did not have third weekend of more than 120 million. It's all so disappointing that its only on track to beat avatar by about a quarter of a billion. I'm so disappointed in this run. It's really a shame I had high hopes for this Star Wars film. Oh well.

Goodbye Chapter VIII 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

Sw is doing ok. Its disappointing that it hasn't reached a billion yet. Also disappointing that it did not have third weekend of more than 120 million. It's all so disappointing that its only on track to beat avatar by about a quarter of a billion. I'm so disappointed in this run. It's really a shame I had high hopes for this Star Wars film. Oh well.

Just to clarify he means domestic.

1 hour ago, Punishment said:

So...

Movies that missed at least a 4.0X multiplier (what TFA needs for $1b) that opened with at least $30m weekend from December 15 to December 25th:

Sherlock Holmes 3.35X (Dec 25)

Unbroken 3.78X (Dec 25)

Marley and Me 3.94  (Dec 25)

Tron Legacy 3.91 (Dec 17)

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events 3.95X (Dec 17)

The other 13 movies all made at least a 4.0X multiplier

Into the Woods 

Django Unchained 

Catch Me If You Can 

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel 

Little Fockers 

Meet the Fockers 

Night at the Museum 

National Treasure: Book of Secrets 

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Obviously TFA is a different beast with it's huge opening weekend(s), but it seems reasonable that $1b is still in play.

Uhh, that's not really a good point of comparison. Several of those movies with big multipliers didn't open on Friday. Christmas releases tend to take whatever day of the week the 25th is. And other movies may go for a weekday release just because.

Tuesday for

Django Unchained

Wednesday for

Catch Me if You Can

Alvin 2

Both Focker films

All three LotR films

Hobbit 3 

Thursday for

Into the Woods

So for actual Friday releases, you've got Avatar, Night at the Museum, and National Treasure 2, which is a really small set and you can't really draw any conclusions. Especially since two of them were beyond exceptional in terms of legs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I mean, even if this doesn't hit a Billion Domestic, it's still made a hell of a lot of $$$$$ ending around 900M + Domestic and more than enough to topple AVATAR.. That's all the matters... Maybe VIII will make a Billion Domestic???

Not with a May release date. 20% drop minimum from EP7.

• Like 1

Just now, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Really??? I don't think it'll matter what month VIII is released in.. It'll still do mad business and do it in mad volume quickly like this before dying down...

It will.  $800M is mad business any way you slice it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Really??? I don't think it'll matter what month VIII is released in.. It'll still do mad business and do it in mad volume quickly like this before dying down... And May is the 40th Anniversary..

Yes it will, but it's going to drop much quicker. It'll challenge EP7 for 10 day total but after it's 2nd weekend it will act more like a regular summer release. Still, a 20% drop isn't a slight on it. That would be $800 million lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

Going to my sixth showing at 11pm tonight....imax.  Hoping its not too busy. This will be my third time seeing it alone. I have enjoyed seeing it alone more than seeing it with friends and family simply because I just like to take it all in all by myself it's almost like a higher state of consciousness lol.

See if you can beat my Avatar record of 8 times, I'm sure others have beat it though :P

• Like 1

LOL, 8 times is adorable :P I've seen TFA 10 times and am just getting started. I saw TPM 53 times in theaters (50 on first release), AOTC 54, and ROTS 24 times. Not saying 8 is bad, but that's child's play for a Star Wars fan. Ha ha. 

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

LOL, 8 times is adorable :P I've seen TFA 10 times and am just getting started. I saw TPM 53 times in theaters (50 on first release), AOTC 54, and ROTS 24 times. Not saying 8 is bad, but that's child's play for a Star Wars fan. Ha ha. 

latest?cb=20130903182236

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Lol wow you're almost insane as my cousin. He saw Avatar 87 times and Titanic 96 times, he's the one who taught me about James Cameron.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

How is that even possible?

• Like 1

I doubt Ep8 makes 800. Its inevitable that it drops from this one.

Even though SW8 will be a highly anticipated, a large drop is inevitable.

I'd expect a 25% drop which puts SW8 close to Avatar 1.

I doubt Ep8 makes 800. Its inevitable that it drops from this one.

Episode 1 to 2 drop was 30%.  Episode 4 to 5 drop is harder to estimate depending on what counts as first run, but it's pretty close to 30%.  If TFA does 950 that would put Ep8 under 700.