#ED

Tuesday : TFA $7,967,428 #ED was Asleep at the Wheel(He's sicky-poo)

31 minutes ago, RascarCapat said:

I have noticed something that I don't understand.

Looking at the following chart, Snow White made 184 M in 1937, while GWTW made 198 M in 1939.

Yet GWTW is adjusted to twice as much as Snow White !

Why ?

875029Capture.png

Snow White's total includes many re-releases in later years; Gone with the Wind made most of its money in its initial run, while Snow White only made $66m in 1937, with most of its money coming from re-releases in 1983, 1987 and 1993. There was also deflation between 1937 and 1939, though not enough to make a big difference.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=gonewiththewind.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=snowwhite.htm

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/historical-inflation-rates/

Edited by LastConformist
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

It's easier to adjust the figures with Estimated Ticket sales, for the first run...

For example in Star Wars Frachise TFA is currently at Second place already!

It sold more tickets than TPM (84.8m), ESB (78.8m) and RoJ (80m) only behind ANH (142m), TFA has around 87.1m tickets sold if BOM is to be trusted!

Avatar has 95m tickets sold in it's first run and Titanic 128m.

BTW wasn't posted here that in it's original run of GWTW sold around 30m tickets?

Yes, but BOM does not account for the individual 3D shares of each film, rather it just uses the yearly average (which is unknown but given the plurality of 2D films within a single year, BOM's average price probably assumes ~10% 3D share for EVERY film, regardless of whether it even has 3D).

For example, Avatar actually sold 75-76M tickets.  TFA is currently around 73-74M.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2667&p=.htm  Here's Avatar when it crossed Titanic's 600M for reference.  Right around 60M tickets, as it was selling at about $10 per ticket.  TFA has a MUCH lower 3D share (47% on OW including IMAX and PLF), so even with 6 years of inflation, its average ticket price is not much higher (about $10.37 on OW). 

Edited by spizzer
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Would be nice to go above Doctor Zhivago. I mean saying that movie and Exorcist were bigger than TFA just sounds flat out wrong. 

The exorcist scared the shit out of people like never before. I live in Georgetown in 2000 near the Exorcist's house and steps. My parents visited, they said it was the scariest thing ever in the theater, and I took them to a deli nearby and then told them about a view I wanted them to see. They looked at the unimpressive mostly blocked view of the Potomac and were wondering what I was showing them. Then my father looked down  the stairs and gasped. My mother asked what was wrong, he pointed and she almost fell down. To have that kind of affect 27 years later deserves to be high on that list.

Dr Zhivago is a sweeping epic and David lean was a JC master back then with a neurotic attention to detail like jim. Its basically Titanic. Almost won BP Oscar, Period piece, told in flash backs, lots of ice, poor girl meets wealthy man(reversed), another lover is in the way, spend short time together and fall in love. Man dies. So I guess Jim ripped off this and Dances with wolves. Maybe this is more deserving than Titanic. George went after Greek mythology, nothing is original for thousands of years I guess.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

The exorcist scared the shit out of people like never before. I live in Georgetown in 2000 near the Exorcist's house and steps. My parents visited, they said it was the scariest thing ever in the theater, and I took them to a deli nearby and then told them about a view I wanted them to see. They looked at the unimpressive mostly blocked view of the Potomac and were wondering what I was showing them. Then my father looked down  the stairs and gasped. My mother asked what was wrong, he pointed and she almost fell down. To have that kind of affect 27 years later deserves to be high on that list.

Dr Zhivago is a sweeping epic and David lean was a JC master back then with a neurotic attention to detail like jim. Its basically Titanic. Almost won BP Oscar, Period piece, told in flash backs, lots of ice, poor girl meets wealthy man(reversed), another lover is in the way, spend short time together and fall in love. Man dies. So I guess Jim ripped off this and Dances with wolves. Maybe this is more deserving than Titanic. George went after Greek mythology, nothing is original for thousands of years I guess.

Not commenting on how deserving they were, just that it's hard for me to imagine either being on the level of success TFA is. I just don't ever hear about them anymore, at least among my gen (I do know Exorcist was a big deal at the time though). Zhivago on the other hand, I would bet 95% of people from my gen would give a blank stare at just the name, let alone have seen it.

Btw, fun that The Ten Commandments and The Exorcist are top ten adjusted. But God wins again, nice try Satan. :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Christian films have been making a bit of a comeback though, just look at Heaven is For Real, War Room, God's Not Dead, etc

Yes, but "comeback" for them means like 70m runs. That is pathetic compared to the heyday of Biblical/Christian films. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Christian films have been making a bit of a comeback though, just look at Heaven is For Real, War Room, God's Not Dead, etc

If any of those had a little more marketing they could have been 100m.  Impressive for small studios to have such breakouts.

Just now, The Panda said:

If any of those had a little more marketing they could have been 100m.  Impressive for small studios to have such breakouts.

God's Not Dead 2 is the biggest question mark of the first half of 2016, moreso than MBFGW2. It could flop in it's release date or increase from the first.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

God's Not Dead 2 is the biggest question mark of the first half of 2016, moreso than MBFGW2. It could flop in it's release date or increase from the first.

I would lean heavily towards flop. Those movies are successful because they target a Christian audience as something meaningful to their faith, not as the MCU for Christians. It's like if there had been a Passion 2. Flippity floop flop. 

Seriously though, do we really want to argue Zhivago has any modern day impact aside from maybe with film buffs? It is the only one of the top ten adjusted that is pretty baffling based on its lasting legacy today. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Seriously though, do we really want to argue Zhivago has any modern day impact aside from maybe with film buffs? It is the only one of the top ten adjusted that is pretty baffling based on its lasting legacy today. 

Baffling? It's the same general formula that worked for GWTW and TITANIC... sweeping love story set against the broad, epic backdrop of history. It's also a famous novel.

I mean, in the context of pre-1970s Hollywood, how many movies would you consider having a "lasting legacy", especially those aimed at adults?

Now, if we're talking LOVE STORY, I'm with ya.

• Like 7