CJohn

THE GOLDEN GLOBES 2016 | Discuss It Live Here!

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, by the time Kate won it was like, "here you go, will you stop already even though this isn't your best work?" (a message she apparently got since Steve Jobs is the only movie she's done since then that could really be labeled "Oscar bait", other than perhaps the flop Labor Day). Whether or not anyone will consider The Revenant his best work is irrelevant since he'll be finally be an Oscar winner.

& rightfully so, the man should have multiple Oscars. He's put Hollywood on his back for a while now in terms of critical & audience praise working together which we all know is very rare these days.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Fortunately I think The Revenant will indeed win at the Oscars before The Martian (yikes, talk about pick your poison). The HFPA loves feel good trite like The Martian. The Academy are at least a little more discerning. 

I would rather The Martian win. I'll actually remember that in a few weeks unlike The Revenant. And that's not knocking The Revenant, its just nothing that will stick with me. It's a gorgeous film though.

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The Globes may (or may not) have impact in the Oscar race, but they're pretty silly overall and have been for decades. You realize it's just 120 foreign press-credentialed entertainment journalists right? Ones that really enjoy the spotlight and getting to glad-hand celebs. 

Right, the winners clearly went on stage realizing what a joke of an award they just won. Those speeches were for nothing.

Potential BP Winners Now

The Martian missed the SAG nomination and a BAFTA Best Pic nomination.  But it won Best Comedy, and Ridley is seen as overdue.

Inarritu won last year, but the only miss for the Revenant so far is the SAG nomination.  He could potentially win BP, especially with how WTF this year is.

The Big Short lost a bit of momentum tonight with no wins at all, but it's been getting a lot of industry love.  Id still put it as the weak frontrunner to win.

Spotlight is pretty much dead in the water at this point, but it's still technically in contention.

Miller missed here and he missed at the BAFTAS, but he's still a dark horse.

Those are your top 5.  I'm betting the Globes are completely off though this year, and we'll end up with The Big Short winning.  But I could be wrong.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Fortunately I think The Revenant will indeed win at the Oscars before The Martian (yikes, talk about pick your poison). The HFPA loves feel good trite like The Martian. The Academy are at least a little more discerning. 

Oh, THE MARTIAN is *much* better than THE REVENANT, in almost every way. 

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, they're not nearly as bad as they used to be. They will never live down the embarrassment of those The Tourist nominations.

They might've just trumped 'em tonight. :ph34r: 

• Like 3

Just now, DarthWalker said:

The anti-CBM rhetoric continues to grow at the golden globe s irratu is at the center of the Hollywood conspiracy to kill the superhero genre

LOL. You think 'Hollywood' hates superhero films? Are you fucking with us?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The Globes may (or may not) have impact in the Oscar race, but they're pretty silly overall and have been for decades. You realize it's just 120 foreign press-credentialed entertainment journalists right? Ones that really enjoy the spotlight and getting to glad-hand celebs. 

Exactly. I mean just imagine Gervais at the Oscars throwing the Academy under the bus like he likes to with the HFPA, and then getting asked to return host. Yeah, wouldn't happen. The GG are just a fun show for the celebs to have a good time. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Potential BP Winners Now

The Martian missed the SAG nomination and a BAFTA Best Pic nomination.  But it won Best Comedy, and Ridley is seen as overdue.

Inarritu won last year, but the only miss for the Revenant so far is the SAG nomination.  He could potentially win BP, especially with how WTF this year is.

The Big Short lost a bit of momentum tonight with no wins at all, but it's been getting a lot of industry love.  Id still put it as the weak frontrunner to win.

Spotlight is pretty much dead in the water at this point, but it's still technically in contention.

Miller missed here and he missed at the BAFTAS, but he's still a dark horse.

Those are your top 5.  I'm betting the Globes are completely off though this year, and we'll end up with The Big Short winning.  But I could be wrong.

If that happens I hope it will be The Big Short, Spotlight, or The Martian. 

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Totally agree. The Martian is superior to The Revenant. I also feel Damon gave a better performance than DiCaprio. :ph34r:

Edited by Empire
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don't want Inarritu to win the Oscar twice in a row, but Id take The Revenant over anything but The Big Short, Mad Max, or at an extreme unlikely circumstance Star Wars or Inside Out.

3 minutes ago, #ED said:

Right, the winners clearly went on stage realizing what a joke of an award they just won. Those speeches were for nothing.

Lol wut? Can you honestly say those speeches mean anything other than to the people they are directed? To the viewing public they are meaningless & forgetful. 

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

No way man. The Revenant does at least have everything going for it in a big way on all the technical levels. The Martian's technical aspects are the definition of good enough and not even close to the best of the year. The Martian may have more heart I guess, but only because Matt Damon is likable. Hardly a testament to the film.  

Random notes:

Really happy for Sly but Rylance had the superior performance and I hope the Academy recognizes that.

Someone revived the corpse of Steve Jobs when we weren't watching. I was completely discounting it at this point.

Really hoping that we're seeing a second wind for Room. More people need to see this movie.

Not getting the Martian hate on this forum. It's a wonderful film that just about every average GA friend I talk to really enjoyed. It will get Oscar noms but quite possibly zero wins so tonight may be its high watermark. I think the awards success it's had thus far is about on par with its quality.

Edited by Tau Ceti
  • Like 1