Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

Only late movement since last time I posted is costumes appears to be a 3 film race (Mad Max decent favorite, Cinderella a long shot & Carol even longer but still possible)

Supporting Actress has Winslet way ahead of Mara for 2nd and closest challenger to Vikander (who has grown her lead as well).

All the other favorites have strengthened their leads, it's likely going to be a very boring night.

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Lol wtf why? It's live betting odds, that's really silly.

Dude, that almost broke the forums :lol: Can you imagine someone seeing that in a cell phone? I just put it inside a spoiler tag. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Dude, that almost broke the forums :lol: Can you imagine someone seeing that in a cell phone? I just put it inside a spoiler tag. 

I'm on a cell phone right now, copied it from their mobile odds page but alright. It seems to fit fine for me but maybe not everyone. Not really a big deal but it's not a spoiler.

8 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Good information though. I'm trying to get input if anyone sees any major upsets to fire on.

These are the categories where an upset is possible IMO:

Picture: If Revenant/Big Short/Spotlight split votes enough, Room could prevail due to preferential voting. Mad Max won't appeal to the "snobs" and The Martian didn't do well enough in nominations. BOS and Brooklyn have no chance.

Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet has a strong chance to upset Vikander. 

Original Screenplay: WGA gets one of the categories wrong often but it doesn't feel that way this year. If Spotlight loses, it'll be to Inside Out.

Adapted Screenplay: See above. Room would be the probable upset to The Big Short but I wouldn't write off The Martian or even Brooklyn.

Editing: This can go any way. Mad Max is the favorite but The Big Short is a big (no pun intended) threat, The Revenant could sweep, Star Wars has an ACE (Editor's guild) nomination, and Spotlight could still upset.

Costumes: Mad Max and Cinderella are in a tight race with Carol as a spoiler.

VFX: Star Wars is the favorite but Mad Max and The Revenant are real threats.

Sound Categories: These categories are a mess, but one thing is clear: BOS won't win Mixing.

Song: Three way race but still probably Lady Gaga

Score: Williams to Morricone 

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am curious about Best Picture. Revenant seems like the favorite but I am not sure why, I still think The Big Short is gonna get it. 

You should bet on it. Then I'll bet on you betting on it. And then someone bets on me betting on you betting on the Big Short. And then so on and so forth. And then we will create the Oscar Synthetic CDO

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am curious about Best Picture. Revenant seems like the favorite but I am not sure why, I still think The Big Short is gonna get it. 

It definitely could. The Revenant seems divisive enough that it could fall short despite the likelihood of an Inaritu win.

For whatever reason, it just occurred to me today that if The Revenant wins, it will be the third Best Picture winner in which Leo DiCaprio is the male lead - and yet, he wasn't even nominated for the other two (Titanic, The Departed).

Edited by Webslinger

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

Dicaprio will win, sadly. 

This year's BA is incredible weak.

Not sadly. Best in his career. Oscars become meaningless if he losses. And I have not necessarily been a fan since GG. But this role was amazing.

12 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Another prediction, ratings will be a multi year low. Anyone disagree?

Never have seen Chris Rock in this sort of circumstance. Looking forward to it. Best comedian going today. Ratings might be decent.

18 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I'm probably with you, but with the "controversy" about the show and ironically having Chris Rock as the host, people may tune in to see how much he shreds some people.  But if it wasn't for that, yeah I would think it would be pretty bad rating wise

19 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Ratings will be above last year's at the very least. 3 movies that made over 150M are nominated for BP and the whole #OscarsSoWhite controversy will get people to tune in.