Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

3 minutes ago, Impact said:

I believe so-btw only 6 films have been nominated with 6 nominations and no major awards!

(I was about to say Gravity then went "oh wait that got director")

Edit: Star Wars also won 6 with no major win.

If only it had gotten VFX and/or Cinematography.

Well, a tied record is nice.

17 hours ago, Impact said:

I have to wonder if Spotlight won by like 5 votes or something.

Well as I said earlier it is the first film since Greatest Show on Earth to have won only 2 Oscars to win BP!

More I think about it-the less impressed I am with last night, Chris Rock wasn't as bad as he could of been, but he wasn't someone who I would ask to come back.

Edit: BTW you have to wonder last night-did NOBODY know about the time limit for speeches or something? They kept on dragging on and on after "Kill the Wabbit" was being played!

I was rooting for Spotlight though I had my doubts with the Revenant gaining momentum as the awards season went on. Not really surprised it won only two. It wasn't the flashy film that'd win technical awards and while the ensemble did a great job, there wasn't a standout role set for Oscar like Leo in The Revenant.  And the two awards Spotlight won were big(Original screenplay/BP). Also The Revenant was not even nominated for best screenplay. Few writers predicted that could hurt its chances as last film to win without best screenplay nomination was Titanic and then all the way back to Sound of Music(1965) before that. 

Yeah I knew about the screenplay part as I brought that up numerous times before. Mad Max had next to no chance wining BP as it was missing the screenplay+acting combo, which as one brought up for Avatar had no chance due to that as no movie did that since Grand Hotel.
Spotlight was more shocking due to the fact that it had only won ONE other Oscar that night! Had it won something else I wouldn't of been as surprised. I just didn't like the Oscars as much due to the host I think.

9 hours ago, The Panda said:

To be fair, I voted for Del Torro at the Boffies and Rylance was my second choice.  I had no complaints about Stallone winning, as he was a deserving winner, but I also have none about him losing to Rylance as he did just as good (if not a better) job.

Of the Oscar nominees, Rylance was my favorite performance (although I still haven't seen Larson).  It was genuine, honest, and a poster example of a great work of acting.  He was definitely a deserving winner, even if you preferred Stallone.

Of of all of the bad choices the Oscars made, Rylance wasn't one of them.

I mean, I'll be honest, if Stallone had to be upseted, I'm glad it was Rylance. I just wish Stallone wasn't upseted because he was my personal most deserving of the preordained winners (Brie was close, but if Ronan had upset, I wouldn't have complained).

9 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I mean, I'll be honest, if Stallone had to be upseted, I'm glad it was Rylance. I just wish Stallone wasn't upseted because he was my personal most deserving of the preordained winners (Brie was close, but if Ronan had upset, I wouldn't have complained).

As I said way back in this thread, the best (possibly 2 best) BSA options weren't even nominated.

We failed to meet God, dear Commandant.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, filmlover said:

Nice. Nothing says "I'm desperate to prove just how much smarter I am than you" by spewing profane insults.

And that's besides the point. The Academy Awards are strictly in North America. It doesn't matter how much it made or how much more it made worldwide (FYI: The Hurt Locker still ended up with a higher worldwide gross, so, you still skimmed over the facts). The movie made zilch in this country (its wide release was scrapped because the studio rightly figured if not even the Metropolitan areas could care to check it, no one else was). You're right to feel that he should've gotten a nomination for it and that the movie shouldn't have buried upon release (they probably should've moved it to early this year to capitalize on Hardy's prolific year), but if you feel his "snub" was the biggest injustice of the year, than that's just your opinion when not even the die hard Tom Hardy stans of the Internet (except @Telemachos and @CJohn) could be moved to care about the movie.

What are you talking about? Its not about being smart, I already know im smarter than you lol. You're the one who began being rude so I called you out for it. What im saying is, it doesn't matter if it earned 1m or 17m, they are both miniscule numbers in the grand scheme of things however Legend will be more well known in the US than Room before the Oscars. And no im not skimming the facts, it had made more than Hurt Locker. it was only after awards recognition that The Hurt Locker would have made more than Legend, so do your research next time mate ;). The Oscars boosted Hurt Lockers US gross from 12m to 17m and its worldwide gross was below Legends before best picture announcements, and that film was nominated for 9 Oscars lol, and walked away with the most important ones so sorry but I don't buy this whole 'well Legend made 10m less so it was never going to secure and Best Acting nom' :rolleyes:, use your head.

Im simply saying Tom Hardy in Legend was a better performance than Tom Hardy in Revenant or hell even Leo in Revenant. Take from that what you will, you don't have to be a tom hardy fan to recognise that his performance outshined every Best acting nom they had.

Edited by Jessie

15 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

As I said way back in this thread, the best (possibly 2 best) BSA options weren't even nominated.

We failed to meet God, dear Commandant.

Yup, the two Minority actors that deserved the win got shut out. #OscarsSoWhite

You have to be pretty committed to watch the Oscars in the UK. The ceremony starts after 1am and can go on until 5am. Before that you have to endure the brain dead coverage of the red carpet by E presenters.

I was fine with Vikander winning though I would have loved to have seen it go to Winslet. 

Vikander was the actress story of the year. She was great in Testament of Youth and Ex Machina and did all she could with the Danish girl role.

Plus I ship Vikbender -surely the greatest combination of physical beauty +serious acting talent in one relationship since Daniel Day Lewis +Isabelle Adjani!

I was torn between Stallone, a legend who created an iconic character and Rylance,  one of those brilliant unsung actors who usually go without the big accolades. 

After seeing how happy he looked while taking selfies with Spielberg, I can't begrudge him the win.

Happy for Brie Larson.

Love Leo. I've wanted him to win for years. I just wish I could be happier it's for this film which will be forgotten soon.

Inarritu winning back to back is the minority story which should be making headlines.

Hollywood's successful minorities in the next couple of decades will be Indian, Chinese and Hispanic, imo.

I would have loved to see Mad Max win best picture but Spotlight will do.

5 hours ago, Jessie said:

What are you talking about? Its not about being smart, I already know im smarter than you lol. You're the one who began being rude so I called you out for it. What im saying is, it doesn't matter if it earned 1m or 17m, they are both miniscule numbers in the grand scheme of things however Legend will be more well known in the US than Room before the Oscars. And no im not skimming the facts, it had made more than Hurt Locker. it was only after awards recognition that The Hurt Locker would have made more than Legend, so do your research next time mate ;). The Oscars boosted Hurt Lockers US gross from 12m to 17m and its worldwide gross was below Legends before best picture announcements, and that film was nominated for 9 Oscars lol, and walked away with the most important ones so sorry but I don't buy this whole 'well Legend made 10m less so it was never going to secure and Best Acting nom' :rolleyes:, use your head.

Lol. So many delusional things in this post. For the record, I never personally attacked you, I was pointing out that you might want to have checked the North American box office numbers (because that's really only what anyone cares about in regards to the Oscars). And do you realize you justified calling me a "dickhead" by saying "I know I'm smarter than you lol", in other words saying that you are entitled to belittle others to prove your points when they disagree with yours? Seriously...some of ya'lls mamas didn't you raise you right.

The microscopic box office of Legend is not why it won't be remembered more than Room (like lol, we have entered the realm of pure insanity). It's because it was a dumped in the US because the film never caught on in a way that it needed to take off and so the studio didn't even bother mounting a campaign for it. I next expect someone to come forward with the argument that By the Sea was bigger than Steve Jobs just because it made more worldwide (it didn't- it was dumped all over the world- but everyone else gets my point).