terrestrial

4-day weekend actuals = Ride Along 2 $41.01 | Revenent $37.53 | SW7 33.02 | 13h 19.22 | DH 11.9 | NotN 9.38 | Forest 6.98 | Big Sh 5.44 | Sisters 5.48 | Alvin & H8 4,33 | chart p.4

incl. Monday

the usual: 2 summer blockbusters, 2 mid-December block busters, and 2 insane (also December) blockbusters

Star Wars Ep.VII: The ForceAwakensAvatarJurassic WorldThe AvengersThe Lord of theRings: TheReturn of theKingThe Hobbit: AnUnexpectedJourneyDaily Cumulative Domestic Box Office255075100
  • Like 1

I posted this on the TFN forum, but Variety just published an article mentioning the 4th quarter average ticket price was $8.70.

I know some people are throwing out $10 average ticket prices for TFA based on anecdotes, but I call BS to that. TFA was a large portion of the 4th quarter box office and when you consider that it had STRONG matinee showings for two weeks in a row, with a lot of children's tickets, it's a bit unbelievable to suggest the average ticket price for its run will be above $9.25. I think it's fair to say it's higher than the 4th quarter average, but that's also speculation, not supported by any actual factual data since we don't track ticket sales.

If TFA hits $925M I think it's more than fair to say it sold 100 million tickets. 

@Daxtreme what do you think, did the deletion of the distributers, also the deletion of the different ways to show time-in-release (days vs weeks), plus adding color marks... help?

One thing that I do not find a solution:

if I forgot to add an empty line above, in between... chart(s) there is no chance to get anything later on in between, when copying out of charts (using 'format'), including via edit.

19 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I posted this on the TFN forum, but Variety just published an article mentioning the 4th quarter average ticket price was $8.70.

I know some people are throwing out $10 average ticket prices for TFA based on anecdotes, but I call BS to that. TFA was a large portion of the 4th quarter box office and when you consider that it had STRONG matinee showings for two weeks in a row, with a lot of children's tickets, it's a bit unbelievable to suggest the average ticket price for its run will be above $9.25. I think it's fair to say it's higher than the 4th quarter average, but that's also speculation, not supported by any actual factual data since we don't track ticket sales.

If TFA hits $925M I think it's more than fair to say it sold 100 million tickets. 

All due respect to Variety (reporting NATO's numbers, presumably), but spizzer's and red's breakdowns are probably more accurate than a generalized average.

Just now, Daxtreme said:

Yes colors definitely help! The confusion mainly came from the fact that you posted disjointed numbers from different days (monday vs week-end), and like 1 or 2 movies at a time xD

I tried to be fast, as the actuals got released (and they in between didn't update both charts), as ppl were waiting partly since yesterday (not all were aware about a 4-day weekend means later than usual actuals)

I do not like that BO.com and The-Numbers do not offer an alternative 4-day view, but they are way faster than BOM, so...

Fortunatedly such kind of weekends are not that often happening. For BO presentation. For workers... please more.

as %

Average US ticket price climbed 3.2% in 2015

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I would say 950M gets you 100M admissions.

• Like 1

Perhaps, it seems like a guessing game, that's for sure. I really wish they would track admissions. 

I believe TFA will have roughly 100 million admissions, though, and what other movie has ever had 100 million admissions in a single theatrical release besides Titanic (128M or something?)? Not Gone With the Wind, that's for sure, it had a limited first run. Star Wars landed at 99.2M in 1977. I can't think of much else on that chart that hasn't been re-released to get to its adjusted total.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I believe TFA will have roughly 100 million admissions, ....

Maybe they know and will release something, if/when it reaches that milrstone?

(I'm never sure about the correct use of if and when...)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Perhaps, it seems like a guessing game, that's for sure. I really wish they would track admissions. 

I believe TFA will have roughly 100 million admissions, though, and what other movie has ever had 100 million admissions in a single theatrical release besides Titanic (128M or something?)? Not Gone With the Wind, that's for sure, it had a limited first run. Star Wars landed at 99.2M in 1977. I can't think of much else on that chart that hasn't been re-released to get to its adjusted total.

ET hit over 100M in first run.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, #ED said:

Woah, The Met Live in HD made 2M? 

I'm impressed too, 3-day weekend chart, on 900 places, if they'd gotten 100 more, BO.com even would have listed them in their 'top' chart.

Still wondering why they list that, but I nowhere can find Sherlock (BBC) BO details for it's limited US release (at least 2 days, each I think at 500 locations)

I knew about one holiday, but Tuesday is a holiday in two states. They are normal holidays, as in school's closed?

Here during a holiday the 'cheap day' isn't active, means the Sunday rules count.

A slight chance to influence the Tuesday's outcome?

Jan 19 Tuesday Robert E Lee's Birthday State holiday Florida
Jan 19 Tuesday State Holiday State holiday Texas

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I knew about one holiday, but Tuesday is a holiday in two states. They are normal holidays, as in school's closed?

Here during a holiday the 'cheap day' isn't active, means the Sunday rules count.

A slight chance to influence the Tuesday's outcome?

Jan 19 Tuesday Robert E Lee's Birthday State holiday Florida
Jan 19 Tuesday State Holiday State holiday Texas

SMH Fucking Florida.