CJohn

THE 2016 SAG AWARDS - Discuss It Live Here

9 minutes ago, All about Eve said:

I think being backed by Weinstein is increasingly a liability now rather than an asset in any campaign. In the past few years voters seem to have wised up to his sledgehammer tactics or simply decided to ignore what he's selling because he's selling it.

It looks like this year he himself doesn't give a shit about either of his releases.

54 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It looks like this year he himself doesn't give a shit about either of his releases.

I read somewhere that his company has problems. Maybe his attention is on those matters. Still, I think voters don't buy what he's selling anymore even if he puts an effort into it.

Mara is practically invisible this awards season despie being touted as a frontrunner a few months ago. She could have scooped up a good few 'supporting' prizes by now to be the top contender for the Oscar. 

He handled Macbeth really badly too. The film did well in Britain  due mainly to the efforts of the director and cast rather than any great marketing campaign by TWC.

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly, even after seeing Carol, I had a feeling that Mara's performance was just too "reserved" to be an Oscar winner. Vikander, for as lousy a movie as she's stuck in, still has plenty of scenes where she is forced to cry and whatnot.

I agree. Vikander's role is more showy. Plus she has the advantage of Ex Machina being loved by so many. So her win for Danish Girl which many people don't care for is as much for Machina as anything. 

As a gossipy aside, I have to say the faces of the Mara sisters as they watched Vikander's speech were , ahem, 'interesting'!

Vikander has certainly stolen Rooney's awards thunder, possibly taken her role in the Dragon tatoo sequel and is ensconced in the arms of Fassbender with whom Rooney apparently had a thing -that's a lot of grievances. Lol

6 minutes ago, All about Eve said:

I agree. Vikander's role is more showy. Plus she has the advantage of Ex Machina being loved by so many. So her win for Danish Girl which many people don't care for is as much for Machina as anything. 

As a gossipy aside, I have to say the faces of the Mara sisters as they watched Vikander's speech were , ahem, 'interesting'!

Vikander has certainly stolen Rooney's awards thunder, possibly taken her role in the Dragon tatoo sequel and is ensconced in the arms of Fassbender with whom Rooney apparently had a thing -that's a lot of grievances. Lol

Pretty sure that's never going to happen no matter who's in it at this point.

2 hours ago, All about Eve said:

I think being backed by Weinstein is increasingly a liability now rather than an asset in any campaign. In the past few years voters seem to have wised up to his sledgehammer tactics or simply decided to ignore what he's selling because he's selling it.

Imitation Game last year got all the big nominations and won screenplay, Django and Silver Linings two years before it got nominated for everything and won some major awards. His movies this year either bombed with audiences and critics (Burnt, Macbeth) or the voters didn't like very much (Carol, H8ful).

He'll bounce back. Probably with the inspirational story of a paraplegic holocaust survivor who invented something important.

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

Imitation Game last year got all the big nominations and won screenplay, Django and Silver Linings two years before it got nominated for everything and won some major awards. His movies this year either bombed with audiences and critics (Burnt, Macbeth) or the voters didn't like very much (Carol, H8ful).

He'll bounce back. Probably with the inspirational story of a paraplegic holocaust survivor who invented something important.

I really liked Imitation Game but despite being touted as a big contender it fizzled out and got overtaken by Theory of everything. Imitation Game didn't even win best British film at the Baftas which was quite a shock. 

Django and Silver linings didn't win as big as he would have hoped.

I'm not saying he's been out of the awards  loop entirely but since the Artist he has not been the force he once was or was thought to be.