kayumanggi

Weekend Estimates | 21.0 M KFP III | 11.44 M HAIL, CAESAR! | 7.10 M THE REVENANT | 6.89 M SW: TFA | 6.09 M THE CHOICE | 5.20 M PAPAZ | 4.7 M THE FINEST HOURS

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Lionsgate is stupid they should advertise the film that looks appealing and bring profit not a dump title. Gods Of Egypt looks terrible.

Maybe they think Divergent is going to do what its going to do and a $5 or $10m ad won't bring in a big enough boost to make it worthwhile.  But that an ad for GOE might boost it enough to make a $10m outlay worthwhile.  It would need to make $20m more than projected now though just to break even on the ad cost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

This should go on the DVD cover

Lol. Back before RT when looking at random vcr covers in the store I always stayed away from the ones that only had good reviews from places like Wichita or Butte. Red Flag!

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

^

I remember very well last year when I was watching the super bowl and a trailer for The Seventh Son aired.

Didn't seem to help the movie at all :P Even the biggest of marketing pushes can't help a product that the GA doesn't wanna see.

In this case, I think Gods of Egypt will play like Seventh Son last year, maybe a bit better but that's it.

Seventh Son had a spot because the Super Bowl was on NBC that year. Universal had several ads because it cost them nothing (besides lost ad revenue).

Edited by cookie

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Seventh Son had a SB spot because the Super Bowl was on NBC that year. Universal had several ads because it cost them nothing (besides lost ad revenue).

Universal used the Superbowl really well last year. Every movie of theirs had a 60 second ad during prime spots of the game. CBS doesn't have a movie studio of its own (CBS films barely counts) since the split with Paramount, else we would have most likely seen every single Paramount movie have a major presence this year.

43 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Star Wars hurt, huh? Darn shame they apparently didn't know when it was scheduled to come out, and absolutely couldn't move MJ2 if they thought it would be a problem or anything.

By the time it was clear what was happening with Star Wars, it was, what, a month until MJ2's release? Far too late to make any changes.

25 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This should go on the DVD cover

I should have deducted more than 15% off of "Best Of Me" for "actors you've never heard of" but the Scott Eastwood thing making $13m threw me off. 

I'll never understand why in hell are the only romance movies that seem to get wide distribution are these non romantic queasy making Nicholas Sparks swill.  There are tons are great Romance novels - film and distribute one of those people!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

By the time it was clear what was happening with Star Wars, it was, what, a month until MJ2's release? Far too late to make any changes.

So Lionsgate was caught off guard that Star Wars is the most popular film franchise ever. Too bad there weren't 6 other SW movies that could've given some indication of this.

• Like 3

Just now, Biph Shmata said:

So Lionsgate was caught off guard that Star Wars is the most popular film franchise ever. Too bad there weren't 6 other SW movies that could've given some indication of this.

They knew perfectly well how popular Star Wars was. Even so, TFA beat expectations by a huge margin, which they could not have foreseen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Star Wars was going to be massive from the day it was announced. If Lionsgate really thought it would be a problem for MJ2 they would have ditched that date many months ago.

The lackluster word-of-mouth from MJ1 and the sup-bar marketing did far more damage than Star Wars ever could.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DamienRoc said:

They knew perfectly well how popular Star Wars was. Even so, TFA beat expectations by a huge margin, which they could not have foreseen.

I think it was pretty good bet that biggest opening day and weekend were pretty much locked and that Avatar's DOM total was in jeopardy. Lionsgate stretched 1 book into 2 movies and paid the price for their greed.

7 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Oh, come on. Sure, TFA breaking $900M could have come as a surprise, but TFA being a rampaging gorilla devouring everything in its path should have been obvious from the moment they announced a date for it. 

We all did predicts for Chasmmi's Winter game in September and early October and the *lowest* predict anyone had was $450M. Most predicts were in the $640-700M range. I would hope the folks making their scheduling decisions have more experience and are privy to more inside information/analysis than we on this board are, so they should have had an even clearer picture of how monstrous it was going to be.