WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Pardon my impatience, but will it be anytime soon 'till we get any new updates on Deadpool's Friday?

Maybe! 

Usually there's some kind of official update around 11 pm and sometimes another one around 1 or 2 am (EST). Also, there are forum folks who have access to industry data unavailable to most mortals that's typically much more reliable than the "official" updates. Sometimes they show up to share tidbits and sometimes they don't.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I understand your point, but it also seems weird to expect it to be any sort of blockbuster sequel. Despite how much money the original made, I don't think anyone views it as a blockbuster (whether rightly or wrongly). And I think the studio very smartly kept the budget super-low for this exact reason.

Absolutely on the low budget point, I don't think anyone on here or any sort of analyst is expecting much from it anyways. So maybe that can make it some sort of net positive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I understand your point, but it also seems weird to expect it to be any sort of blockbuster sequel. Despite how much money the original made, I don't think anyone views it as a blockbuster (whether rightly or wrongly). And I think the studio very smartly kept the budget super-low for this exact reason.

If MBFGW2 sells the same amount of tickets as the first one, it will probably reach the high 300 millions, maybe around 375 or so. Of course, there is a better chance of me winning the powerball than that happening. MBFGW just spoke to the zeitgeist at that one particular time and never again (as evidenced by the swiftly cancelled spinoff show). 

The sequel will do well all things considered, the budget, the expectations, the decreased star status of everyone involved with it, it will be a success which will break a sequel drop record.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They had been talking about a Zoolander 2 even longer than they did about an Anchorman 2. Like Sin City 2, they waited until no one really cared anymore to actually make it.

Script wasn't completed/filming didn't start until late 2014/last year so I'd say seeing A2's success had some influence on finally getting it to a finished product. Unfortunately for them, it appears it's become far less celebrated over the years.

The most the second My Big Fat Greek Wedding can hope for is a total similar to The Intern ($75M). And it's really amazing how that will be both impressive considering the minimal budget and painful to watch given how big of a drop-off that will be. There was never a chance this could duplicate that film's one-moment-in-time kind of success.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If MBFGW2 sells the same amount of tickets as the first one, it will probably reach the high 300 millions, maybe around 375 or so. Of course, there is a better chance of me winning the powerball than that happening. MBFGW just spoke to the zeitgeist at that one particular time and never again (as evidenced by the swiftly cancelled spinoff show). 

The sequel will do well all things considered, the budget, the expectations, the decreased star status of everyone involved with it, it will be a success which will break a sequel drop record.

Scratch that, no way MBFGW2 will touch this record unless it just outright flops completely

MV5BNTUxNDIwNDkwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjI0

Exorcist II: The Heretic WB  $30,749,142 703 $6,735,000 703 6/17/1977

MV5BMTgxMjIyNTc5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjgw

The Exorcist  WB  $232,906,145  n/a  n/a  n/a   multipleTrailers

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Scratch that, no way MBFGW2 will touch this record unless it just outright flops completely

MV5BNTUxNDIwNDkwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjI0

Exorcist II: The Heretic WB  $30,749,142 703 $6,735,000 703 6/17/1977

MV5BMTgxMjIyNTc5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjgw

The Exorcist  WB  $232,906,145  n/a  n/a  n/a   multipleTrailers

It won't surprise me if MBFGW2 does less than 30M. 

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Heard a radio ad today for "Hail, Caesar!" which went "Hail, Caesar is the most star studded movie of the year". That is not an endorsement of quality or even saying much of anything since the year is 6 weeks old.

It will have one of the starriest casts of the year when all is said and done. Not too many other movies on the horizon with that many big names in it no matter how small their roles are (Channing and Scarlett aren't even in it for 5 minutes and you can see pretty much all of Jonah Hill's screentime in the trailer).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yeah. The first one had an old-school roll-out that you just don't see anymore, and in fact I think was long gone by 2002 except for this one throwback. The numbers around it have all kinds of strange tidbits. Its theater count peaked during weekend #29 but it didn't break 1,000 theaters initially until weekend #18 and stayed above it for 17 weeks, finally dropping under 1,000 on weekend #35. But then on weekend #38 it re-expanded back above 1,000 theaters and stayed there for another 6 weeks before falling below again, this time for good.

Also, its per-theater average was amazingly consistent. Its per theater average bounced between $3,700 and $5,500 until weekend 20 at which point it finally jumped above $6,000. It stayed above $6,000 for 3 weekends, and then finally started slowly trending down though it didn't finally get under $3,000 until weekend 29. It posted weekend to weekend per theater average increases *18* times during its run.

I think you could argue it had the weirdest box office run of the last 30 years.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 4