WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Fun little fact about Zoolander 2; it has most viewed trailer for a comedy.

LOL just goes to show that you can seldom take that stuff too seriously. For example, Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan could show up somewhere as their Night at the Roxbury characters and create something of a social media storm but everyone knows a sequel to that movie wouldn't make anything today.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A Zoolander 2 would've likely been big 10 years ago (when Stiller was still in the midst of the strong Dodgeball/Fockers/Night at the Museum run and Wilson was coming off of Wedding Crashers and Will Ferrell was developing a strong post-SNL career). Now? It was like, "who cares?"

Anchorman's success had to have a huge influence on this project.

Z2's budget is 50m. With a 20m 4-day it could touch that number dom. May not have much potential OS but should do good in rentals, etc.. They have a good shot at breaking even, unless the movie went over-budget.

Edited by a2knet

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Z2's budget is 50m. With a 20m 4-day it could touch that number dom. May not have much potential OS but should do good in rentals, etc.. They have a good shot at breaking even, unless the movie went over-budget.

That's 2 flops in a row for Paramount, not good. Cloverfield will at least help get some money back and TMNT will get the rest. 

Just now, Telemachos said:

The budget is so small it'll probably be very profitable. But yeah, certainly it'll have a huge drop from the original.

Profitability isn't everything Tele, we both understand optics mean a lot as well. It's not a good look for the studio/actors involved to have a bomb sequel on such a successful first film.

5 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I loved Zoolander but at this point I'm leaning more towards seeing Deadpool a second time then seeing Zoolander 2. 

Will Ferrell has still got it though. 

Im in the same boat and I didn't really care for Deadpool. 

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's 2 flops in a row for Paramount, not good. Cloverfield will at least help get some money back and TMNT will get the rest. 

I'll be amazed if TMNT could match the success of the first. I think it's stuck in a Muppets situation. People saw the first because it may have been years since the Turtles got a proper big screen adventure, they don't really need to see the sequel, that appeal of seeing the Turtles again is gone.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Profitability isn't everything Tele, we both understand optics mean a lot as well. It's not a good look for the studio/actors involved to have a bomb sequel on such a successful first film.

I understand your point, but it also seems weird to expect it to be any sort of blockbuster sequel. Despite how much money the original made, I don't think anyone views it as a blockbuster (whether rightly or wrongly). And I think the studio very smartly kept the budget super-low for this exact reason.

11 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Anchorman's success had to have a huge influence on this project.

They had been talking about a Zoolander 2 even longer than they did about an Anchorman 2. Like Sin City 2, they waited until no one really cared anymore to actually make it.