vc2002

Deadpool: the best Marketing Strategy since the internet era?

There're many well-done marketing cases during the years, but it seems none of them really used internet, or acknowledged internet as the critical medium, the way Deadpool did.

What most films today do is, you put up a movie website, a social-media account page, you throw a bunch of trailers and clips on youtube, and that's it. Well you can't call it wrong, and frankly that worked just as well as people expected. But internet is much more powerful than that, and people behind Deadpool are the ones that not only acknowledge that, but also get a great use of that.

We have Deadpool posting a lot of vids in which he jokes about what is happening in our real life. That somehow makes Deadpool feel like a real-life vlogger, which really helps making this weird-looking character more relatable. We also have Deadpool posting his wacky photoshopped pics in which he acted like a wachy, and that makes it for the audiennce to feel so much closer because acting like a wacky and posting wacky pics are a big part of the internet culture. And of cause that brilliant emoji billboard that totally connects internet with real-life.

Of cause, Deadpool is a very unique character and the same type of marketing strategy can not be simply applied to another movie, but what it tells us is that internet can be in much greater usage than how studios are using it right now, and we all shall be glad that Ryan Reynolds (he's also one of the producers) and all the others behind this film really took it into a deeper thought and pulled off such a fresh and engaging marketing strategy.

Edited by vc2002

On 2/15/2016 at 9:30 PM, vc2002 said:

We also have Deadpool posting his wacky photoshopped pics in which he acted like a wachy, and that makes it for the audiennce to feel so much closer because acting like a wacky and posting wacky pics are a big part of the internet culture.

I'm not really sure that added to its success - Zoolander 2 did the same thing and it flopped.

What's really odd on this one is... I never catched one of the cray-zee DP marketing antics. I was sold on the trailer alone, but never registered anything else. O_o But then again that campaign may have been driven in northern America mainly and I am not a user of facebook, twitter and co. I did catch however that RR was set on selling chimichangas from a food truck as a marketing gag during... can't remember clearly... super bowl I guess? Which upped my sympathy for Reynolds tenfold, so to speak.

While I agree that the marketing was great, I wouldn't say the best, I still say Blair Witch has that honor, but Deadpool is up there too so it's not a shot at all.

I loved what Deadpool did the entire way so I am in with you on how great the marketing was.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, 75live said:

While I agree that the marketing was great, I wouldn't say the best, I still say Blair Witch has that honor, but Deadpool is up there too so it's not a shot at all.

I loved what Deadpool did the entire way so I am in with you on how great the marketing was.

Exactly, TBWP still the best marketing campaign of history of cinema 

actually, from the internet Era, I think that the marketing for Godzilla was better than the one for Deadpool, but that's probably just me

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Exactly, TBWP still the best marketing campaign of history of cinema 

actually, from the internet Era, I think that the marketing for Godzilla was better than the one for Deadpool, but that's probably just me

Godzilla just had amazing trailers, that's all. Would hardly call that better marketing, after all it didn't top the opening of Deadpool.

Deadpool not only had genius marketing with social media but it also had great trailers (which so many people moaned and bitched about). It's a character who makes immature puns, something that's pretty damn popular in this era so the marketing was perfect for the movie it was selling.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2016 at 5:26 PM, 75live said:

You got me here....BW was epic.  No doubt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

You got me here....BW was epic.  No doubt.

Yeah for those that weren't around for it, they may not get how awesome the marketing was. I know you were around :P

It was the first one to use the Internet to get people interested by making people think the movie was real.  Fake articles, missing persons posters, everything was just on point and incredible 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:17 PM, 75live said:

Yeah for those that weren't around for it, they may not get how awesome the marketing was. I know you were around :P

It was the first one to use the Internet to get people interested by making people think the movie was real.  Fake articles, missing persons posters, everything was just on point and incredible 

Agreed, nothing will ever beat The Blair Witch Project in terms of Internet hype. The only time you can really attribute an entire film's success to the Internet, really.

• Like 1