32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Grey

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I should have seen this move back when it came out but it never got released in theaters here and later it sorta slipped from my mind Well now that I have seen it I can join everyone here praising it First off - the wolves metaphor was great - Liam being the alpha of the human pack and all Speaking of Liam - character's story about his wife and Neeson's own personal being so parallel ( his wife passed away few years ago ) amplified his performance and I can only admire him for taking this role As for the ending much like in film like say Buried it was excellent and what you needed to see and not what you wanted 8/10 Top 10 of the year no doubt

• Like 1

Subjectively: I was swept away by the atmosphere of the film, and I thought the post-credits scene was the perfect capper. By the way, complainers, that last bit was solely Carnahan's choice, so respect da filmmaker.Objectively: Entertaining, but not great. Too many cornballs and contrivances.

I should have seen this move back when it came out but it never got released in theaters here and later it sorta slipped from my mindWell now that I have seen it I can join everyone here praising itFirst off - the wolves metaphor was great - Liam being the alpha of the human pack and allSpeaking of Liam - character's story about his wife and Neeson's own personal being so parallel ( his wife passed away few years ago ) amplified his performance and I can only admire him for taking this roleAs for the ending much like in film like say Buried it was excellent and what you needed to see and not what you wanted8/10Top 10 of the year no doubt

I pretty much never do this but ... 

revising my grade to a perfect 10 

I've never questioned life and death and human soul and this movie got me to think about all that ... since that's pretty monumental stuff I think its fair to give this movie a flawless mark and rank it up there with the greatest films of all time for me 

Everything I said still stands ...its just amplified now 

• Like 1

This movie still ended up being in my top 5 of 2012...

It's a really powerful movie with Neeson truly giving a memorable interpretation. I have to say I'm disappointed the Oscar push never came as it was planned. I think Neeson deserved that Oscar Nomination more than Denzel.

Anyways... One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

A+

• Like 2

"I don't understand audience's disdain for the ending. So you WANTED to see the film's protagonist get ripped to shreds? Umm, ok. Or let me guess, audience's wanted a pretty Hollywood ending with Neeson beating a beast one on one? Riiiiight.... Great endings."

No it becomes okay we follow these guys in this dark depressing boring film and then okay its over...

next

The film is well liked but not by general audiences..

It was more for the film school crowd.

Edited by Lordmandeep

"I don't understand audience's disdain for the ending. So you WANTED to see the film's protagonist get ripped to shreds? Umm, ok. Or let me guess, audience's wanted a pretty Hollywood ending with Neeson beating a beast one on one? Riiiiight.... Great endings."

No it becomes okay we follow these guys in this dark depressing boring film and then okay its over...

next

The film is well liked but not by general audiences..

It was more for the film school crowd.

It's basically an existential and philosophical film, not an action one. Thus the disconnect.

hmm I think people went in thinking "hmm he killed a thousand people to save his daughter now he is going to fight the wolves with his bare hands!!!""

I rewatched the film but I am not a person that goes oh wow the director is so great for not doing a typical ending.

My thinking is you had a great film and could have a pretty cool climax.

Edited by Lordmandeep

hmm I think people went in thinking "hmm he killed a thousand people to save his daughter now he is going to fight the wolves with his bare hands!!!""

I went in thinking that as well. Imagine how pleased I was when I found out it wasn't just that.

I rewatched the film but I am not a person that goes oh wow the director is so great for not doing a typical ending.

My thinking is you had a great film and could have a pretty cool climax.

But that wasn't the point of the film at all.

I suppose arguably the marketing got people frustrated, because they sold it as something it really wasn't... but then again maybe people wouldn't have gone otherwise.

I don't know why, but I think that going with a bad ending is better in a way...

Seeing Neeson against that wolf made you realize just how much you actually cared for that character. It was well done, and the tears that probably some of you got at the end, weren't because it was a beautiful directed scene, but because the character you cared most was probably looking death into the eye. You knew that the chances were that he died, and the fact that it's not shown makes you remember that movie for a long, long time, especially since the character you cared most, probably didn't survive in your mind (You know, the people you like always go through the rough thing in your mind)

So, the bad ending is a way to make you realize how much you loved that character and makes you connect more with the movie, therefore this is a good movie in my eyes, actually one of the best I've seen in a long time.

I think the film also was misunderstood as its soo dark and depressing.

Here is a Reviewers take

" The Grey is about raging against the dying of the light but also about accepting it with peace once the fight has been lost."

Lol I think most people don't want to watch a movie about a plane crash were everyone dies anyways...

Some people watch a film and like it for the journey alone, while others dislike a film if the end is not good even it was a good journey.

I am of the latter opinion, it just was okay we spent all this time and he died anyway... 

Here is another viewpoint

"

Carnahan's gripping yet grim thriller is either a masterpiece of reflective cinema, or a bleak, inexcusably nihilistic bid to transcend movie tropes by alienating the audience."

I watched it with all my cousins and we liked the journey but okay perhaps call us simple minded people or other names but we disliked the ending.

Edited by Lordmandeep

"

I take it you didn't much care for THE PERFECT STORM?

It's not the ending, it's the journey. We all die anyway, doesn't change the fact our lives are interesting."

I liked the Perfect Storm and rewatched it many times and its because the film was not a film about nothing.

They did die and they all died but I was not like whats the point.

Its not only the ending of the Grey its just the whole message around it.

I am not the only one, this film has rave reviews on this site but it got pretty trashed apart by audience polls.

Edited by Lordmandeep