32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Grey

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Not what I was expecting but it's a good film. I was expecting more of an action film than a pyschological study but I really enjoyed it. What I found really strange about it was how detached most of the survivors were from actually trying to figure out how to survive. If Ottway wasn't there to lead them, they probably would have just sat by the plane until they were all dead. With Diaz complaining the whole time.

B+

Surprised to see that this movie is almost unanimously well received here. I can do nothing other than agree with other posters. Or perhaps I could say (Spoilers abound) that it works better, to me at least, as an allegory, a metaphor for learning to cope with death and letting go of the past, (that's what the wife subplot was in there for) as otherwise one could point out many inaccuracies and implausibilities in the plot. But since I didn't consider most of the events real, I wasn't bothered by stuff like unrealistic portrayal of wolves or suspiciously high number of almost unhurt survivors of what seemed like utterly disastrous plane crash.

Just watched this last night and for the most part, enjoyed it. Liam Neeson was fantastic as usual and the suspense and drama are well done and balanced throughout. I didn't mind the climax (or lack there of) as the movie is more about Ottway's journey than the fight between he and Alpha. Having said that, I can't imagine returning to this film anytime soon as this is something to admire than enjoy (similar feelings I have towards Requiem for a Dream, a film I haven't watched in nearly a decade).

***¾/*****, (B+, 7.7/10, 3.25/4)

Edited by TheMovieman

I think building up to a finale and then not showing the big climax is uber lame attempt at film making.C+

Here we have on show the typical what you see is what you get folk. I am not surprised in the slightest of course. Completely expected reaction.

I do not like such movies that do not have a climax.Inception is the same where it keeps everything open but it still had a great finale.

You follow the herd. There's not much wrong with it, just makes you boring, predictable and uninteresting. Great movies = top 10 IMDB, either than that basically the mega blockbusters of each year. Not sure who one would be trying to impress with it since this is the Internet and no one really cares especially when one has no identity whatsoever.But enough of my judgment on you, not worth any more of my time.Liam Neeson is a stand out. He's always been badass but this was a character study first and foremost, and practically all of it. The wolves, the linear dropping like flies surface plot was never the real element on show, it wasn't what drives the movie. The script is astoundingly strong for Carnahan, who I'm not sure if he wrote Smokin' Aces but he did direct that awful mess. I'd say the ending still remains unclear if anyone believed Neeson survived, seemed more like a battle to the death, which would tie in with the haiku and with his acceptance of death anyway. Even if he did, he would've died in another unfashionable attack or frost, so evidently that wasn't an option. Obviously not something you'd rewatch again and again but the strength all round of the cast and the script make it something that will hold up.

I was hyped for this movie and it turned out to be silliness personified . They took every horror movie cliche ( characters acting like retards ,people being killed ,one by one in the most predictable order ) and magnified it . The pseudo intellectually monologues were laughable , the story non- existent and the unbelievabilty of the whole thing was off the charts . Seriously, when these morons decided to jump off the cliff and the wolves were down there expecting them was the last straw for me .The cinematography was great though and so was the sound and watching it in the privacy of my room with 5.1 speakers could haven something.....if only the story wasn't that stupid. A bad exploitation movie in disguise...It made me appreciate Carpenter's the thing even more.

Just saw this film last night. Wow!

Absolutely loved it. The atmosphere was amazing, they really built up the sense of fear and suspense quickly in the early stages and it never lets up.

Liam Neeson was superb as always, the more I see of this guy the more I love him. As others have pointed out, the scene where he rants at God is very well acted (what a scene!). :wub:

I have heard some (elsewhere) complain about the CGI wolves, but I thought they were perfect for what the film was trying to do (ultimately, it's not really about the wolves is it).

I also loved the fact that they didn't have some stupid cheesy fight between Neeson's character and the wolf at the end. It was the perfect place to the end the movie because it really reflected that what the film was about was not the wolves, but about the characters will to survive.

Also, I don't know about anyone else but this scared me more than most 'straight' horror films. :P

Great movie. 9/10

My favourite movie of 2012 so far. Neeson was great, the atmosphere and tension was built up superbly.The only negative was the ridiculous post-credits scene, which felt like the studio had demanded they add a happy-ish ending.

• Like 2

My favourite movie of 2012 so far. Neeson was great, the atmosphere and tension was built up superbly.The only negative was the ridiculous post-credits scene, which felt like the studio had demanded they add a happy-ish ending.

Definitely. When I watched it I didn't see the scene after the credits, only found out about it later on the internet. Frankly I don't consider it part of the movie.

Yeah I did the same thing. I read some reviews after I saw the movie and they mentioned the post-credits scene.It's a shame they felt the need to add it at all, but at least it's easy to ignore.

Easily my favorite of 2012 along with Prometheus.The intensity of this movie is amazing, and I love the bond all the guys developed with eachother even though they were slowly dying off 1 by one. The ending seemed to piss a lot of people off, but I thought it was pure magic. I heard about the post credits scene and I'm glad I never saw it. Sounds stupid and it would've ruined it for me.A+

A for this movie. I don't need to repeat why this movie worked so well. This thread is full of praise and rightfully so. I don't understand audience's disdain for the ending. So you WANTED to see the film's protagonist get ripped to shreds? Umm, ok. Or let me guess, audience's wanted a pretty Hollywood ending with Neeson beating a beast one on one? Riiiiight.... Great endings.

Edited by Letsuseournoggin