32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Grey

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

"

I take it you didn't much care for THE PERFECT STORM?

It's not the ending, it's the journey. We all die anyway, doesn't change the fact our lives are interesting."

You see I think the film did not take a dark depressing tone though...

They did die and they all died but I was not like whats the point.

I am not the only one, this film has rave reviews on this site but it got pretty trashed apart by audience polls.

Huh? Who cares what they're saying on audience polls? Your second sentence doesn't make much sense to me! How come you seem incapable of being able to use the quoting system?

"

It's not the ending, it's the journey. We all die anyway, doesn't change the fact our lives are interesting."

You see I think the film did not take a dark depressing tone though...

I am not the only one, this film has rave reviews on this site but it got pretty trashed apart by audience polls.

I think you're missing the point. Neeson's character by the end realized that life is precious which is why even though he was literally in the lion's den he was going to fight for every extra second he could. On the flipside, the smartass douche guy who was the most determined to  screw others in order to save himself ends up sitting down to wait to die rather than keep moving forward.

"

I liked the Perfect Storm and rewatched it many times and its because the film was not a film about nothing.

Its not only the ending of the Grey its just the whole message around it.

Yeah, people (not necessarily you) were expecting a TAKEN-esque "Liam Neeson fights WOLVES!" action movie and they didn't get it.

I think you're missing the point. Neeson's character by the end realized that life is precious which is why even though he was literally in the lion's den he was going to fight for every extra second he could. On the flipside, the smartass douche guy who was the most determined to  screw others in order to save himself ends up sitting down to wait to die rather than keep moving forward.

Even better than that, he realized that was what would give him peace.

Telemachos, that is why the Wild Bunch is a classic and this is not B)

They've both classics, but they're coming to the point from opposite directions. The point of TWB's final battle was that it *was* just a giant pointless mess -- their time and come and gone and they had no way of coming to terms with modern society; this was the closest thing they could come up that was a "noble way" to go out. Except, though they fought for their lost compadre, the noble way was really just a pile of bloody bodies (including a ton of innocent dead civilians).

The point of THE GREY's end was that live has meaning, that the struggle to live IS the point. The outcome doesn't matter as long as you're striving to your utmost.

I just think the reason why the film failed with the general audience is because it has all of these messages that you guys paint to be all positive but come off in the film in sort of nihilistic depressing manner... Perhaps it could be the feel of the film...

Also about films where everyone dies in the end, these are films that people love and and widely watched.

We brought up Perfect Storm and The Wild Bunch...

Well what is the scene you remember most?

Its when the Captain charges madly in the final big wave in the Perfect Storm and the violent shootout in TWB.

I wonder how would the film been received if the bought the wolves and died?

Its an interesting question...

Edited by Lordmandeep

It failed because it was marketed as a stupid January movie and it was something much weightier and less gory. It's that simple and really shouldn't affect what you as an individual think of the movie, Lordmandeep. 

I think the director also tried too hard and really made a film that appealed to the film crowd but really not compatibile with the general audiences.

Um what? That's just a silly argument. Maybe he just wanted to make a good film and didn't want to cater it to appeal to the audience.

I think the director also tried too hard and really made a film that appealed to the film crowd but really not compatibile with the general audiences.

Yeah, how dare the director actually try hard and not just make some generic Neeson vs. wolfs action picture that would've made more money. The cheek of it!

Just re-watched this.I'm going to have to do some re-ordering on my 2012 film list, because this film is just too damn good. I was basically engrossed by the opening scene, I love films with subtle philosophical depth like this. Such a thinking man's movie. Likely my favorite of 2012 followed by Cloud Atlas.

• Like 2