kayumanggi

THE HITMAN'S BODYGUARD | 08.18.17 | trailer 1 on page 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It cost $30m?! Lionsgate is going to make a decent profit from it if that's the case. I assume Jackson and Reynolds are on a good backend deal if it does doing great. I was expecting to be $50-60m.

Yea $30M according to the Forbes article I just read. I expected $50-60M too. Interestingly enough Lionsgate sold the rights to Netflix in Japan which imo is actually smart cause this type of movie won't make much there. It should do well in China though but we shall see if that happens. 

Edited by Nova

Just now, Nova said:

Yea $30M according to the Forbes article I just read. I expected $50-60M too. Interestingly enough Lionsgate sold the rights to Netflix in Japan which imo is actually smart cause this type of movie won't make much there. It should do well in China though but we shall see if that happens. 

Lionsgate will have recouped most of the budget since they presell their films OS apart from the UK. I wonder if Lionsgate might consider a sequel, I imagine this would be the sort of film that will do solid business in home entertainment and streaming. 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Lionsgate will have recouped most of the budget since they presell their films OS apart from the UK. I wonder if Lionsgate might consider a sequel, I imagine this would be the sort of film that will do solid business in home entertainment and streaming. 

I think they are. I know when it screened at Cinemacon that Hayek mentioned a sequel before the screening. 

Of course in the end this will all depend on the box office and how the GA receives it.  So far it's been good but let's see if good translates into $$$$. Cause it could be a movie that just doesn't translate well to the mainstream folks lol 

I do think they released the reviews and had screenings at the right time though. Perfect time to raise awareness for the film. In my opinion, this is how it should be. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

I think they are. I know when it screened at Cinemacon that Hayek mentioned a sequel before the screening. 

Of course in the end this will all depend on the box office and how the GA receives it.  So far it's been good but let's see if good translates into $$$$. Cause it could be a movie that just doesn't translate well to the mainstream folks lol 

I do think they released the reviews and had screenings at the right time though. Perfect time to raise awareness for the film. In my opinion, this is how it should be. 

If John Wick  could get a sequel despite the first film making less than $100m WW than The Hitman's Bodyguard which I think can easily make over $100m WW should as well. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Mixed reviews is alright actually but I think this is one of those films where the reviews won't matter.

This is like the movie Lucy, mostly so-so reviews, but barely rates enough to have a fresh RT score, even though the audience hated it.

Looks like THB will have a 90% RT score with at best mediocre reviews. 

here I am coming in to be negative but no way this gets 90%. It's gonna hover in the 50s. Maybe and I mean maybe get into the 60s. I really enjoyed the heck out of this movie and I rated it based on that. It's a fantastic time at the theater, imo. But the movie is flawed. A critic will weigh those flaws way more heavily than I did. 

Now ban me :ph34r:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nova said:

here I am coming in to be negative but no way this gets 90%. It's gonna hover in the 50s. Maybe and I mean maybe get into the 60s. I really enjoyed the heck out of this movie and I rated it based on that. It's a fantastic time at the theater, imo. But the movie is flawed. A critic will weigh those flaws way more heavily than I did. 

Now ban me :ph34r:

Maybe 90% is too high, the low 60's more likely.

But the IGN reviewer had me baffled. It was a very negative review, but he rated at 6.5/10

Edited by Mike Branson
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2017 at 9:19 PM, Jonwo said:

Mixed reviews is alright actually but I think this is one of those films where the reviews won't matter.

Reviews matter these days if it's royally panned. Just ask Baywatch of The House.

That being said, like you said it's mixed right now. It's hovering around the percentage that Rough Night is at and it has the advantage over that movie of having a more reliable plotline to sell to the audience. It's a very easy movie to digest. The fact that it's not mindblowingly great will keep it from reaching Girls Trip numbers, but it should do more than the current second highest grossing comedy this year Baywatch as it's completely unpretentious and unassuming unlike that movie. And has more laughs.

Edited by Jay Beezy

21 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Reviews matter these days if it's royally panned. Just ask Baywatch of The House.

That being said, like you said it's mixed right now. It's hovering around the percentage that Rough Night is at and it has the advantage over that movie of having a more reliable plotline to sell to the audience. It's a very easy movie to digest. The fact that it's not mindblowingly great will keep it from reaching Girls Trip numbers, but it should do more than the current second highest grossing comedy this year Baywatch as it's completely unpretentious and unassuming unlike that movie. And has more laughs.

I agree with this. 

Its definitely not going to be Girls Trip but it still should be the second highest grossing comedy of the summer. 

I can only speak for myself obviously but the problem with this film isn't that it's not funny. It's more technical, plot, tonal shifts etc. This movie has the laughs. And a lot of them in my opinion. 

I cant say the same with Rough Night or Baywatch which had no to few laughs, terrible plot/story etc 

I feel like the fact that this movie is at least funny (thanks to Reynolds, Jackson and Hayek) will save it from going down the route of Baywatch and Rough Night. 

People are going to get what they expected from the trailers. They're just not going to get anything more than that which is why this film doesn't hover into great status. 

Edited by Nova

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I agree with this. 

Its definitely not going to be Girls Trip but it still should be the second highest grossing comedy of the summer. 

I can only speak for myself obviously but the problem with this film isn't that it's not funny. It's more technical, plot, tonal shifts etc. This movie has the laughs. And a lot of them in my opinion. 

I cant say the same with Rough Night or Baywatch which had no to few laughs, terrible plot/story etc 

I feel like the fact that this movie is at least funny (thanks to Reynolds, Jackson and Hayek) will save it from going down the route of Baywatch and Rough Night. 

People are going to get what they expected from the trailers. They're just not going to get anything more than that which is why this film doesn't hover into great status. 

I also think box office may be hindered by the marketing not selling its primary selling point well enough. Not enough marketing akin to its first redband trailer, Bodyguard spoof poster, and "review" TV spot.

10 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

I also think box office may be hindered by the marketing not selling its primary selling point well enough. Not enough marketing akin to its first redband trailer, Bodyguard spoof poster, and "review" TV spot.

100% spot on. 

They should have continued on with that instead of focusing on the action aspects of the film. But it's like Lionsgate just wants all their movies/franchises to fail 

15 minutes ago, Nova said:

100% spot on. 

They should have continued on with that instead of focusing on the action aspects of the film. But it's like Lionsgate just wants all their movies/franchises to fail 

No, this is August. It doesn't need a big marketing push, because there is no real competition. 

But if LL or Annabelle beats it, then you're right.

Edited by Mike Branson

46 minutes ago, Mike Branson said:

No, this is August. It doesn't need a big marketing push, because there is no real competition. 

It's not about competition. It's the simple fact that people don't go out to movies that they're unaware of and/or look unappealing to them. And even though @Nova and I enjoyed the movie, we concede that most of the marketing after the first redband trailer hasn't made the movie look all that interesting.

54 minutes ago, Mike Branson said:

Yes it does. 

If people don't know the film exists or the film looks unappealing, they won't go see it regardless of what month it is. 

The marketing is the bread and butter over whether people actually go and see a movie. 

4 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

It's not about competition. It's the simple fact that people don't go out to movies that they're unaware of and/or look unappealing to them. And even though @Nova and I enjoyed the movie, we concede that most of the marketing after the first redband trailer hasn't made the movie look all that interesting.

I agree. I watched the movie and really enjoyed it. And having watched it myself, I can say the movie's marketing doesn't do it justice.