BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

51 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I agree, in fact, Zootopia will likely be snubbed.  The Academy won't ignore the climatic finale of a commercially beloved franchise.

1.Ice Age 5

2.Storks

3.The Secret Life of Pets

4.Sing

5.The Angry Birds Movie

No Norm of the North?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I agree, in fact, Zootopia will likely be snubbed.  The Academy won't ignore the climatic finale of a commercially beloved franchise.

1.Ice Age 5

2.Storks

3.The Secret Life of Pets

4.Sing

5.The Angry Birds Movie

I'd swap Storks for Norm of the North.

Storks  has a chance at being good (not good enough to win Best Animated Feature, but enough not to be awful) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, movieboner said:

I feel like the Academy would give Best Animated Film to Zootopia and Best Animated Short to Piper, so both Pixar and WDA don't go home empty handed.

They don't seem to operate that way. Actually, I think a significant part of the Academy doesn't vote on Best Animated Short, so the votes that are counted tend toward more offbeat choices.

In fact, Pixar hasn't won the Short award since For the Birds in 2001. Since then they've had nominations in 2002 (Mike's New Car), 2003 (Boundin'), 2005 (One Man Band), 2006 (Lifted), 2008 (Presto), 2010 (Day & Night), 2011 (La Luna), and 2015 (Sanjay's Super Team). That's often enough it should be clear that the Academy isn't prone to just going with the big name in animation for the award.

(Somehow World of Tomorrow did not win, either, which is a far greater crime than snubbing Pixar.)

• Like 2

This might be the first year where an animated feature gets an Oscar nod for its screenplay but doesn't win Best Animated Feature (Not including the first Toy Story, of course).

The Writing Branch may give Zootopia a nod for its screenplay, as it has done for 9 other animated features in the past. However, we don't know how Moana is going to be received. It might be that Moana is fresh in everyone's minds when the voting takes place, leaving both movies with something impressive on Oscar night.

Edited by cannastop

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Moana should have Original Song in the bag if nothing else, coz folks wanna EGOT Lin Manuel-Miranda. Zootopia getting Screenplay nom looks iffy.

The song from La La Land looks like strong competition.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jason said:

I just noticed this on Box Office Mojo (was posted 2 weeks ago):

Should we presume though that Sony will give it an Oscar-qualifying run in LA sometime before the end of the year?

100%. For sure. Having seen this at Cannes, this is a lock for a nom (and honestly deserving a win).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cookie said:

Thinking the win is a coin toss between Zootopia and Finding Dory unless Moana excels.

I think there's no coin toss if it's between Zootopia and Finding Dory. Both are huge hits but Zootopia is better reviewed and more importantly isn't a sequel. Pretty easy choice for the Academy.

The only sequel that ever won was the one that was praised to high heavens like it was the second coming of cinema. But usually original>sequel.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I think there's no coin toss if it's between Zootopia and Finding Dory. Both are huge hits but Zootopia is better reviewed and more importantly isn't a sequel. Pretty easy choice for the Academy.

The only sequel that ever won was the one that was praised to high heavens like it was the second coming of cinema. But usually original>sequel.

A comparible situation was The Incredibles vs. Shrek 2. The Incredibles won.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joel M said:

Agree. Zoo will win this. It was also better than Dory and let's all remember Big Hero 6 versus Dragon 2. Hero won at the end.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Gabriel Sales said:

96% on Rotten Tomatoes after 47 reviews! Fresh Certificate!

Any chance for The Little Prince?

For a nomination sure, but for a win I don't see it even if it gets to 99% on RT. When there are big popular animations with great reviews in the conversation the smaller stuff don't stand a chance.

BEST NEWS today!

Animated film MY LIFE AS A COURGETTE submitted by Switzerland for the Foreign BP!

My favorite animated film of the year along with Red Turtle and Zoo

http://variety.com/2016/film/global/switzerland-claude-barras-my-life-as-a-courgette-foreign-languageoscarrace-1201831359/

This has a shot at a nom in the animated category as well.

• Like 1