BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

51 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Kimi no Na Wa (Your Name) could snatch a nomination

I've seen a lot of anime, and Your Name, to me, just looks like a highly polished one. What I saw looks good, but I think it would probably have to have 90% or above on Rotten Tomatoes before it could come anywhere remotely close to being nominated in this year of competition. There are higher profile anime films out this year, too... but after Boy and the World last year, I think anything can sneak in with enough critical acclaim.

Edited by slambros
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Unless it's Ghibli, most anime struggles to get a noteworthy release in the USA, let alone an Oscar nod.

Just checked, and all Japanese movies nominated for the Academy Award for best Animated Features are all Ghibli.

Kind of surprised me, even if it shouldn't.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cannastop said:

Just checked, and all Japanese movies nominated for the Academy Award for best Animated Features are all Ghibli.

Kind of surprised me, even if it shouldn't.

I have seen most of the top rated anime movies. It is not surprising at all that only Ghibli works have been nominated as they as so far above the rest, with the exception of maybe a few like Wolf Children. The reason I am saying "Your Name" has a chance is because early word is its on level with Ghiblis best. Will find out if that is true soon since it comes out in Japan today.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2016 at 6:09 AM, eXtacy said:

I have seen most of the top rated anime movies. It is not surprising at all that only Ghibli works have been nominated as they as so far above the rest, with the exception of maybe a few like Wolf Children. The reason I am saying "Your Name" has a chance is because early word is its on level with Ghiblis best. Will find out if that is true soon since it comes out in Japan today.

Well, it is directed by the person that directed 5 Centimeters Per Second. That one is really well known!

Edited by slambros

On 26/08/2016 at 9:08 AM, Spaghetti said:

Unless it's Ghibli, most anime struggles to get a noteworthy release in the USA, let alone an Oscar nod.

Just got announced its getting an international release in 85 countries, I would say thats pretty noteworthy.

• Like 1

Just now, RySenkari said:

Is this the best year for animated movies ever? There have been better individual films than the one that's going to win this year, but I don't think there's ever been a year like this with so many really great animated films.

Probably going to be the first year where the winner will be in doubt until the envelope is opened.

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

Probably going to be the first year where the winner will be in doubt until the envelope is opened.

Was it clear by the time of the ceremony that Brave was going to beat Wreck-It Ralph and that Shrek was going to beat Monster's Inc? Those ones don't seem that obvious to me right now and I wasn't paying attention at the time.

Edited by Jason

5 hours ago, RySenkari said:

Is this the best year for animated movies ever? There have been better individual films than the one that's going to win this year, but I don't think there's ever been a year like this with so many really great animated films.

2009 had a critically strong and diverse slate, but personally it's been awhile since I've been able to fully get behind the top three

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Was it clear by the time of the ceremony that Brave was going to beat Wreck-It Ralph and that Shrek was going to beat Monster's Inc? Those ones don't seem that obvious to me right now and I wasn't paying attention at the time.

I don't think Shrek's win was a huge surprise... but it was also the first year, so I'm not sure there was a whole lot of assumption. At the time, though, I think that while MI was seen as a great film, Shrek had the pop cultural sensation going for it. MI was overshadowed in that regard in the holiday season by Harry Potter and FotR.

Brave was probably a bigger surprise. It wasn't as well regarded among Pixar films, even at the time of release. (IMNSHO, a lot of the criticism against it is unfounded.) However, neither film made any particular waves. They did solid business, got good reviews, and that was basically it.

Other years that were perhaps a surprise: 2005, with Wallace & Gromit over Howl's Moving Castle, and 2014. LEGO missing the nomination threw the race wide open, with solid reasons to suggest that three of the nominees could have pulled out a win instead of BH6.

• Like 2

Shrek was huge when it was first out. With the ho-hum reactions to the last two sequels, people tend to forget that the first film had pretty much every conceivable demographic on board, hence the first sequel's stunning explosion at the box office.

Furthermore, Wallace & Gromit's win wasn't a surprise in the slightest. It was the unanimous favorite to win heading into the ceremony. Yes, Ghibli had established presence with the win for Spirited Away, but hardly anyone was anticipating that Howl's would come close to a win because: 1.) it was neither as acclaimed nor as successful (relatively speaking) as Spirited Away, and 2.) unlike Spirited Away, it was up against English-language films that drew significant plaudits from critics (whereas the competition three years earlier was a smattering of hit films aimed mostly at kids... and Treasure Planet).

It's kinda crazy to consider how deep this category could be this year (although they won't have the balls to nominate Sausage Party), and yet Zootopia is still going to win in a landslide unless Moana ends up being some Frozen-level phenomenon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

Shrek was huge when it was first out. With the ho-hum reactions to the last two sequels, people tend to forget that the first film had pretty much every conceivable demographic on board, hence the first sequel's stunning explosion at the box office.

Furthermore, Wallace & Gromit's win wasn't a surprise in the slightest. It was the unanimous favorite to win heading into the ceremony. Yes, Ghibli had established presence with the win for Spirited Away, but hardly anyone was anticipating that Howl's would come close to a win because: 1.) it was neither as acclaimed nor as successful (relatively speaking) as Spirited Away, and 2.) unlike Spirited Away, it was up against English-language films that drew significant plaudits from critics (whereas the competition three years earlier was a smattering of hit films aimed mostly at kids... and Treasure Planet).

It's kinda crazy to consider how deep this category could be this year (although they won't have the balls to nominate Sausage Party), and yet Zootopia is still going to win in a landslide unless Moana ends up being some Frozen-level phenomenon.

Quibble for Spirited Away's win. Some people thought that Lilo & Stitch would win because it was more successful. That was Roger Ebert's prediction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I hope you're right. :D

5 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I would've thought Corpse Bride would have won over Wallace and Gromice back then! XD

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

Quibble for Spirited Away's win. Some people thought that Lilo & Stitch would win because it was more successful. That was Roger Ebert's prediction.

True, but Lilo & Stitch was more of a kid-friendly play that didn't have passionate support. I wasn't following Oscar predictions that closely at the time, but I seem to recall seeing numerous critics predicting Spirited Away to win based upon its quality and the lack of a runaway smash that gobbled up public attention.

• Like 1