BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

16 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I'm not sure Zucchini can get a nom for animated feature. It's being pushed as the Swiss entry for Best Foreign Language Film, and I think (though please, someone confirm) that it's a one or the other proposition.

Hmm. Looking through the rule book right now. The Animated Feature or Foreign Language Film rule sections state that films are eligible for other categories as long as they meet the rules of those categories.

That being said, Foreign Language Film nominees do become ineligible for awards in future years, even if they delay their US theatrical release until the following year. Also, a Foreign Language Film must have its theatrical release in its home country before the US, but cannot be distributed in any way within the United States before its Los Angeles county qualifying run for other categories. So I can imagine that some previous Foreign Language Films have managed to disqualify themselves.

It seems like GKIDS knows the rules though, as far as I can tell Zucchini will be eligible for both categories.

53 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hmm. Looking through the rule book right now. The Animated Feature or Foreign Language Film rule sections state that films are eligible for other categories as long as they meet the rules of those categories.

That being said, Foreign Language Film nominees do become ineligible for awards in future years, even if they delay their US theatrical release until the following year. Also, a Foreign Language Film must have its theatrical release in its home country before the US, but cannot be distributed in any way within the United States before its Los Angeles county qualifying run for other categories. So I can imagine that some previous Foreign Language Films have managed to disqualify themselves.

It seems like GKIDS knows the rules though, as far as I can tell Zucchini will be eligible for both categories.

Hmm... Could be. I seem to remember something about... Waltz With Bashir, I think, being submitted for Foreign Language and not being eligible for the Best Animated Feature because of it.

21 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Hmm... Could be. I seem to remember something about... Waltz With Bashir, I think, being submitted for Foreign Language and not being eligible for the Best Animated Feature because of it.

All I could find regarding Waltz With Bashir is that it was disqualified for the Documentary category because of a rule change that required documentaries to be screened in both Los Angeles and New York: Bashir at Center of Oscar Controversy. The same article mentions that it was still eligible for Best Animated Feature, as do a few other sources.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

All I could find regarding Waltz With Bashir is that it was disqualified for the Documentary category because of a rule change that required documentaries to be screened in both Los Angeles and New York: Bashir at Center of Oscar Controversy. The same article mentions that it was still eligible for Best Animated Feature, as do a few other sources.

I'm probably misremembering, then.

You're right that GKIDs does know their shit when it comes to nominations, so it's probably not a good idea to count Zucchini out.

Heck, it could be this year's Boy and the World.

• Like 1

Critic's Choice Awards:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/01/critics-choice-awards-movie-nominees-la-la-land-moonlight-arrival

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Finding Dory
Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
The Red Turtle
Trolls
Zootopia

Six nominees there, but only 5 for the Oscars, so I say you remove Trolls from that list. This would exclude Your Name, My Life as a Zucchini, and The Little Prince and other smaller profile movies, though.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

Once again, Trolls beats out Kung Fu Panda 3. I can't believe I live in a world where this not only happens, but I'm okay with it.

Also I think we all know deep in our hearts that 'BEST ANIMATED FEATURE - ZOOTOPIA' is already sitting on an Oscar and we just have to wait three months for formalities. 

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 2

Alright, that settles it. If Zootopia won New York Film Critics Circle, I think it's safe to say that the Oscar voters will also crown it with the Academy Award.

Now, if Kubo won that award, I'd actually start to be concerned for Zootopia's Oscar chances.

Edited by cannastop

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Alright, that settles it. If Zootopia won New York Film Critics Circle, I think it's safe to say that the Oscar voters will also crown it with the Academy Award.

Now, if Kubo won that award, I'd actually start to be concerned for Zootopia's Oscar chances.

new york critics and academy have matched in this category only 33% of the time.

19 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

new york critics and academy have matched in this category only 33% of the time.

All the more remarkable they gave the award to Zootopia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Film_Critics_Circle_Award_for_Best_Animated_Film

They snubbed Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, Up, Toy Story 3, Brave, Frozen and Big Hero 6 when all those movies won Oscars. Kubo was the obvious choice for them, and they didn't take it.

• Like 2

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i still say it could go to moana. like i said between those two movies. voters are lazy/don't care in this category and moana is the disney movie people are talking about right now.

Disney needs to go to bat for Moana. Unless Disney campaigns for it harder, it might get overlooked when voting time comes.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

They snubbed Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, Up, Toy Story 3, Brave, Frozen and Big Hero 6 when all those movies won Oscars. Kubo was the obvious choice for them, and they didn't take it.

I think it's worth noting that in four of those seven instances they chose a well-received foreign animated film (two French, two Studio Ghibli). Of the remaining three, two were stop-motion, but The Lego Movie over Big Hero 6 actually breaks pattern in a way because that year had Ernest & Celestine and Song of the Sea to choose from.

If the NYFCC voting uses FPTP rather than ranked ballots, it's possible that The Red Turtle and Kubo split votes (ironically enough).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

All the more remarkable they gave the award to Zootopia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Film_Critics_Circle_Award_for_Best_Animated_Film

Look at that list, whenever they successfully predict the Oscar winner, the next year they don't match the Oscars, its amazing....

Last year they predicted the Oscars with Inside out.:lol:

Edited by NCsoft

2 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Look at that list, whenever they successfully predict the Oscar winner, the next year they don't match the Oscars, its amazing....

Last year they predicted the Oscars with Inside out.:lol:

I would take that trend with a grain of salt though.  What matters is they picked the mainstream film over the "artsier" options, which shows strength in Zootopia over the competition.

Doesnt lock Zootopia for the award by any means, but it gives it credence that NYCC broke their tendencies again for it.

• Like 2