BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

Just now, cannastop said:

Not sure why you assume that.

Because they are mandated to watch a minimum of 66% of the eligible Animated films.  There were 27 eligible which means they had to watch a minimum of 18 films in order to vote at all.  Because the film made $200m and counting in Japan and received a lot of publicity from that even if Funimation didn't give it any push.  Because they would most likely choose to watch it over Ice Age, Angry Birds, Storks, Monkey King: Hero Is Back, Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV,  Mustafa & the Magician and a few others on this list though well reviewed had much less buzz like Long Way North.

The Angry Birds Movie

April and the Extraordinary World

Bilal

Finding Dory

Ice Age: Collision Course

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV

Kubo and the Two Strings

Kung Fu Panda 3

The Little Prince

Long Way North

Miss Hokusai

Moana

Mokney King: Hero Is Back

Mune

Mustafa & the Magician

My Life as a Zucchni

Phantom Boy

The Red Turtle

Sausage Party

The Secret Life of Pets

Sing

Showtime!

Storks

Trolls

25 April

Your Name

Zootopia

My favorite animated film of last year, was The Little Prince.  It wasn't nominated.  I'm not assuming there was some kind of agenda against it or that it wasn't watched because it was released by Netflix.  There was a lot of great animation released this year and a lot of competition.  I choose to assume it wasn't one of the top 5 choices.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I'm not assuming there was some kind of agenda against it or that it wasn't watched because it was released by Netflix. 

But that actually might be a big reason why it wasn't nominated. Didn't have that pretty of a distribution history.

Edited by cannastop

18 hours ago, cannastop said:

Yes, there is something that says that Illumination, WAG, SPA, or Blue Sky can't have the same astronomical budgets: Their studio bosses.

I'm not sure why you think the branch is looking at these movies and thinking "Hmm, well that's not a very detailed render. Better vote for my own movie out of sheer coincidence!"

You seem rather dead-set on this explanation, but I'd like to ask: Have you visited many animation blogs? I guarantee that's not how most of them think.

Well, yes, the business of the industry does mean that studios may not grant such large budgets, but that's true for Disney, too. They could spend far less on their films, but they choose not to. And it's not as if their higher budgets are getting them astronomically more business than the competition. Illumination spends half as much on their films and makes a comparable amount of money.

Still, while you might be correct that the polish associated from the tech may not be an overriding factor, there is a correlation between budgets and the technical quality. It isn't JUST that WDAS sunk a lot of money into developing Hyperion, but also that they sink a lot of manpower into utilizing that technology, and to working and reworking their stories until they're hitting the right emotional beats.

Disney and Pixar spend a lot of money on their films, but they also spend a lot of time. And that effort is what's rewarded. The tendency for pretty much anything stop motion to get a nomination is probably related to that. Such films are all about the labor of love. There probably isn't anything more time consuming than stop motion animation.  Of course, as @Jason noted, we really don't have enough data to tell if the animation branch holds stop motion in particular favor, or if it's just that stop motion films tend to be pretty damn good. And it's sort of a similar thing with the big budget computer efforts. Though in their case, there are enough of them that a few are pretty guaranteed to miss each year.

• Like 3

Disney and Pixar also have most of their operations in urban California which probably contributes to their inflated budgets.

In any event there seems to be this odd notion that bigger budgets are automatically a bad thing. The only time that's really been an issue for them of late is with The Good Dinosaur, otherwise they easily make back whatever they spend on a movie because that money goes to films that have broad appeal and long staying power.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

Annie Awards Breakdown (major ones at least):

Best Animated Feature: Zootopia

Best Independent Animated Feature: The Red Turtle 

Best Animated Short: Piper

Best Direction: Zootopia

Best Writing: Zootopia

Best Animated Effects: Moana

Best Character Animation: Kubo and the Two Strings

Best Character Design: Zootopia

Overall, 6 awards total went to Zootopia and 3 to Kubo and the Two Strings