Zootopia (2016)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Yeah, as a legitimately touching and well written film. I rank it higher than Tangled and Wreck It Ralph.

Saw Zootopia again today and I think it's going to stick with me on that near obsessive level certain Pixar films have. Just such an incredibly realized world with a boat load of lovable characters

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yeah, as a legitimately touching and well written film. I rank it higher than Tangled and Wreck It Ralph.

Saw Zootopia again today and I think it's going to stick with me on that near obsessive level certain Pixar films have. Just such an incredibly realized world with a boat load of lovable characters

Did any of your opinions change after watching it again?

I think I'll be able to let go of my criticisms of Try Everything. It is what it is and doesn't impact the film that much. Some of Giacchino's score stood out more this time but not enough to make me want to listen to it again immediately.

Knowing the ending repeat viewings of a mystery become piecing together how the scheme unfolds in real time, and I definitely saw Bellwether pulling the strings here.

The pacing of the investigation flowed better, though I think the sloth scene is something I'll be fast forwarding through on Blu Ray. It's a creative concept but the joke just has a limited shelf life.

I think the filmmakers intentionally left Nick/Judy's relationship ambiguous so anyone could draw their own conclusions. It's a sensitive issue so I'm just going to leave it at that. But I do know that I really love both characters and they work great together.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I think the filmmakers intentionally left Nick/Judy's relationship ambiguous so anyone could draw their own conclusions. It's a sensitive issue so I'm just going to leave it at that. But I do know that I really love both characters and they work great together.

I don't think I've ever seen a film where the two leads, whether male and female or not, were so emotionally intimate with each other. Granted, that might speak to my lack of film experience, but what Nick and Judy have is special. The filmmakers need to be careful to not mess it up.

• Like 1

Yeah, they did a really good job with that- I think that's the reason so many people see a possible romance between them, and why that'd be a perfect plot for a sequel. C'mon, Disney, make it happen! :D

It's been a long time since there was a really good Disney love story anyway, imo. They developed the characters in this one so well that it'd be perfect for that, and they also have the obvious metaphor of interracial couples that would fit its themes so easily.

14 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

As far as animated movies go Wall E / Eve are the only characters I can think of that had something with that kind of emotional intimacy to it.

Seriously? I've always thought that Wall-E was overrated, but now you're elevating the relationship between Wall E and EVE? I know it's beautiful, but we don't know for sure if they have human emotions. They don't even speak.

4 minutes ago, adrianarose27 said:

Yeah, they did a really good job with that- I think that's the reason so many people see a possible romance between them, and why that'd be a perfect plot for a sequel. C'mon, Disney, make it happen! :D

It's been a long time since there was a really good Disney love story anyway, imo. They developed the characters in this one so well that it'd be perfect for that, and they also have the obvious metaphor of interracial couples that would fit its themes so easily.

Not just a metaphor for interracial couples, but lgbt couples, too. Nick and Judy probably can't get pregnant.

But I think what also should be considered that a powerful message is also sent if Nick and Judy don't hook up. When have you ever seen a depiction of emotional intimacy between men and women that didn't involve sex?

• Like 1

It's heartfelt and consistently funny on its own merits, with a terrific ensemble to boot. I was especially impressed with the subtlety that the filmmakers displayed in regards to the incorporation of social commentary, negating potential genre constraints in a way that allows it to be thought-provoking and emotionally resonant for adult audiences as well. 

A

Edited by GeneralKong
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Spaghetti said:

It would be fun to see something of a "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" dynamic between Nick, Judy, and her parents.

One of the directors and writers said that they thought about having a scene like that in the movie.

Of course, this doesn't mean Nick and Judy would have actually been in love or anything.

As much as I like the characters, doing a romance angle on them would take a lot of time in the movie, and audiences might get restless.

Well, since they've already dropped their guard for someone who bullied their daughter the most believable manifestation of that dynamic would be if Nick and Judy decided to go further.

The more I think about this movie the less opposed I am to fans shipping them. The only reason I can think of to be against it is an insistence on platonic hetero friendships getting more representation in films. Nothing in the film itself seems to discourage it, especially when I think of Nick forcing Judy to get emotional before accepting her apology as opposed to giving her a brutally honest "reason you suck" speech you'd expect from a brother to a sister.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, since they've already dropped their guard for someone who bullied their daughter the most believable manifestation of that dynamic would be if Nick and Judy decided to go further.

Woah, what are you talking about?

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Lol, what I meant was they've already become friends with a fox so they probably wouldn't react very dramatically to their daughter being just friends with a fox

Oh, OK. The pronouns were ambiguous to me.

Anyways, I think Nick was justified in pushing Judy to tears, considering how badly she fucked up after he confided in her. That scene is actually the least "shippy" to me. I see more sparks when they tease each other, or when Judy put her hand on Nick's arm. The "You know you love me" line is for me what tips the scale.

• Like 1

Investigative plot + Disney blandness +  unabashedly preachy + offensively nonsensical analogies + obvious villain is obvious = Poison to me.

Two sequences, the popsicle one and where the bully Fox apologize to Judy, had me internally screaming. Fucking awful.

God, the way Judy finds what is causing the animals to go wild is the most lazy plot device I have seen in a while.

And that speech at the end? I was like, kill me already. 40/100

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I assume you’ve seen these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOZcxtwy_YYe7KKky8DCLGQ/videos

Anyways, here’s my attempt to make a similar list. Couch Tomato is free to use my list if he makes a video on Zootopia! You’ll just have seen it first. :)

1. Both movies show the protagonist (Clarice Starling and Judy Hopps) training for their law enforcement jobs in dark, overcast weather.

2. Both protagonists graduated at the top of their classes.

3. Both of the leads are intimidated by their much larger colleagues. (Compare the scenes of the local officers leering at Clarice Starling and Judy’s entry into the bullpen.)

4. Both have to solve a missing persons case.

5. Both have to depend on the testimony of a criminal to solve the case. (Hannibal Lector and Nick Wilde).

6. Both of the criminals are initially contemptuous of the protagonist.

7. Both of the criminal witnesses ridicule the protagonist for their rural roots. (Compare Hannibal Lector’s mocking of Clarice Starling’s West Virginia accent, and Nick Wilde’s dismissal of Bunnyburrow and its “naive little hick”.)

8. Both criminals make inappropriate remarks about the body parts of the protagonist. (Compare Hannibal Lector sniffing deeply after Clarice Starling told him what Miggs said and the Nick’s remark about a “cute fuzzy wuzzy little tail.)

9. Both Criminal witnesses abuse weaker criminals. (Compare how Hannibal Lector manipulates Miggs into killing himself and Nick Wilde mocking Finnick.)

10. Both Criminals eventually cooperate, but only with coercion. (Compare Hannibal Lector’s bribe and Nick Wilde’s blackmail.)

10. Both Hannibal Lector and Nick know a lot of people. (Compare Hannibal Lector talking about his patients and Nick Wilde saying "I know everyone.”

12. Both Hannibal Lector and Nick come to respect the protagonist.

13. Both Clarice Starling and Judy Hopps defend their witness’s honor. (Compare the scene in Silence of the Lambs where Starling says “He would consider that rude.” and Judy Hopps calling on Nick when Manchas disappeared.)

14. Both Starling and Hopps have to work with a socially awkward dork to find a clue. (Compare the scene with the entomologists and Clawhauser’s soda bottle.)

15. We have to see some fucked in the head naked people. (Compare Buffalo Bill and Yax.)

16. Both Starling and Judy have to find some fucked up shit in a parked car.

17. One of the main characters confesses something personal to the other main character in both movies. (Compare Starling’s story of the Lambs and Nick’s story of betrayal by the scouts.)

18. Both Hannibal Lector and Nick have to wear a restraint on their faces. (This is the cruelest comparison of all, but that’s what the series is about.)

19. Both Judy Hopps and Clarice Starling gain greater respect from their supervisor when they make big gains on the case.

20. Both Clarice Starling and Judy Hopps have some down time after the big break. (After Hannibal Lector escapes and Judy resigns.

21. Both Hannibal Lector and Nick Wilde abandon the protagonist when they need them most. (Again, Hannibal Lector’s escape and Nick Wilde’s walk-out.)

22. Both cases are thought to be solved, but it turns out that Judy and Clarice have to do it without the help of other officers.

23. Both Judy and Clarice have to deal with someone who seems friendly but is actually the villain. (Buffalo Bill and Bellwether.)

24. Lector and Starling come to understand each other, similarly to how Judy and Nick reach a partnership. (Compare the last phone call between Lector and Starling and Nick and Judy as fellow officers.)

Well, it’s rough, but I think it can be done! What do you think? :)

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1