Zootopia (2016)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

On 3/7/2016 at 10:15 AM, cannastop said:

You know, another quote from this movie is "Life isn't as simple as a bumper sticker."

You might want forgiveness, but what Judy said was extremely fucked up, especially after hearing Nick's story of being bullied. The images of the animals in the muzzles is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Also, I think it's kind of more fitting. I think it's a bit odd that Nick turns on a dime from being pissed off at Judy to being his old self again. It's clever how they do the reversal, though.

I thought that scene was the best part of the movie. 

It was clearly and by far, one of the bravest scenes ever put to animation, hell, even live action. 

You have the protagonist and character you are rooting for throughout say some of the most horrible things you can imagine. It's worse than cussing and insults. It basically showed how good people can be so ignorant and miseducated. It was completely in character, too, as opposed to some (many) movies having their characters act out-of-character to force the plot forward. 

On 3/7/2016 at 10:25 AM, cannastop said:

OK, but do you agree that his forgiveness was a bit sudden? Maybe he could have slowly warmed back up to her.

No. 

She clearly fucked up, and realized it. I got emotional during her confession apology because it was so real. Don't tell me you wouldn't forgive someone for that.

It's not a simple, "Sorry, I didn't know," or anything of the sort. You can feel it has clearly tore her apart. 

On 3/7/2016 at 0:53 AM, cannastop said:

Four movies in a row. Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia. Hell, in the first three, Alan Tudyk plays the red herring. I'm glad he got a comic relief part in Zootopia.

I wonder how Moana can possibly have a surprise villain.

I think it really only worked in Wreck It Ralph because it was so well hidden, written and it was the first.

Frozen's came across as "please, don't tell me he's the bad guy" predictable in its pretend unpredictability. That movie stood tall on its themes. 

Zootopia's themes are even stronger than Frozen's, and as people have mentioned, the fact that it drives the story throughout makes it much more easily forgivable that the sheep is the baddie and how it became a little generic in its resolution. 

Big Hero 6, on the other hand, that was fucking terrible stuff. Ridiculous motive. Horrible storytelling. For all the inclusivity and other bullshit messages they claimed it to be, it was whitewashed and wholly generic with the terrible twist. A stronger movie would have actual Asian centered characters, perhaps exploring the relationship between Hiro and his brother, the dynamic of the group etc. What a terrible movie. I tried watching it again, and couldn't finish it. So utterly disappointing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

I thought that scene was the best part of the movie. 

It was clearly and by far, one of the bravest scenes ever put to animation, hell, even live action. 

You have the protagonist and character you are rooting for throughout say some of the most horrible things you can imagine. It's worse than cussing and insults. It basically showed how good people can be so ignorant and miseducated. It was completely in character, too, as opposed to some (many) movies having their characters act out-of-character to force the plot forward. 

No. 

She clearly fucked up, and realized it. I got emotional during her confession apology because it was so real. Don't tell me you wouldn't forgive someone for that.

Hey, I love that you responded to the scene similarly to how I did. In fact, later in this thread, I agreed that forgiveness was an appropriate reaction from Nick. Heck, he probably hid his tears when he had his back to Judy!

• Like 1

I really don't like Shakira's song, lol.

It's the definition of disposable pop. 

I think the approach of writing songs for movies has to change- so much of it is crap. But then you have the Oscars rewarding Sam Smith's awful song.

• Like 1

Just now, BK007 said:

I really don't like Shakira's song, lol.

It's the definition of disposable pop. 

I think the approach of writing songs for movies has to change- so much of it is crap. But then you have the Oscars rewarding Sam Smith's awful song.

Hey, at least the lyrics matched the message of the movie.

• Like 1

It is in character for Judy to listen to a bland pop song. But the dance party ending wasn't really necessary. There were other ways to employ those visual gags.

This has a few small imperfections that keep me from giving it an A+. Lousy song, unmemorable score, and the pacing lagged a bit while they're doing their investigation

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It is in character for Judy to listen to a bland pop song. But the dance party ending wasn't really necessary. There were other ways to employ those visual gags.

This has a few small imperfections that keep me from giving it an A+. Lousy song, unmemorable score, and the pacing lagged a bit while they're doing their investigation

Oh I'm not talking if it fit her character or not, I'm just saying it's a really lousy song. 

You just cannot hire pop stars to write songs. It's almost always bland and unmemorable. They have no attachment whatsoever, and the jury is out whether any of them even really write their songs/are genuine with their lyrics etc. 

Thank God the concert is in the credits so you pretty much axe it off.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Listen, I had no problem at all with the dance party ending. I thought I would have a problem with it, but I didn't. The movie is just too perfect in other ways, and I love the characters too much.

But why would you say that it's in character for Judy to listen to bland pop songs?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

That assumes it's inherently a bad thing to listen to bland pop songs. Everyone has some sort of guilty (or not) pleasure banality, but women tend to be more open about it.

Uh, no. That's a cop-out.

You basically said "Of course she likes dumb music! She's a bunny woman!"

And you gave no mention of the male characters who like the singer, like Clawhauser and Bogo. It's just a bit suspect.

21 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Uh, no. That's a cop-out.

You basically said "Of course she likes dumb music! She's a bunny woman!"

You forgot "bubbly twentysomething" in there. She has a personality that I associate with openly listening to pop music, bland or not. Clawhauser wears his effeminate personality on his sleeve beyond openly being a fan of Gazelle, and chief Bogo only listened to it in his closed office and it was staged as a joke.

If you know a ton of men like Clawhauser then I can see why you might be offended, but from my experience most of them aren't like that.

Edited by tribefan695

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

You forgot "bubbly twentysomething" in there. She has a personality that I associate with openly listening to pop music, bland or not. Clawhauser also wears his effeminate personality on his sleeve beyond openly being a fan of Gazelle, and chief Bogo only listened to it in his closed office and it was staged as a joke.

If you know a ton of men like Clawhauser then I can see why you might be offended, but from my experience most of them aren't like that.

Alright, so it's the young women (and effeminate men) who listen to shallow dumb music, and it's up to the young men to consume the more sophisticated stuff that you like?

Just now, cannastop said:

Alright, so it's the young women (and effeminate men) who listen to shallow dumb music, and it's up to the young men to consume the more sophisticated stuff that you like?

Man, I did not say that and you know it. That post was intended to partially defend the inclusion of the song in the film. 

It makes sense in the context of the movie (especially seeing as it's essentially what's empowering her throughout the movie. In a weird way, there's an odd analogy of Gazelle her to the Fairy Godmother in Pinocchio, acting as a moral compass and inspiration to the hero), but it's still not a song I'm particularly fond of. Then again, the poppy songs at the end of the recent non-musical Disney movies haven't been super impressive lately.

That said, I still love the movie a lot. One element I appreciate especially is how in the inevitable hero fall out scene, it's not out of Judy failing the investigation and losing the job, but rather her guilt upon inadvertently pushing forward towards bigotry and throwing her new friend under the bus. All of her emotions in the final act feel real and make the film all the more compelling. There's also a bit of a parallel between this and Monsters University, where the second act finale seems like a typical Hollywood ending, but the final act involves undoing the lies that created the happy ending with a horrific basis.

• Like 2

Always appreciate you bringing in a cool head, Spaghetti

Probably unpopular like most of my feelings on Big Hero 6 around here, but I actually kinda like Immortals and thought they fit it into the film extremely well as a training montage / prelude to the film's big flying setpiece. And "When Can I See You Again" would've at least been more palatable montage music than "Shut Up and Drive"

Edited by tribefan695

10 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Always appreciate you bringing in a cool head, Spaghetti

Probably unpopular like most of my feelings on Big Hero 6 around here, but I actually kinda like Immortals and thought they fit it into the film extremely well as a training montage / prelude to the film's big flying setpiece. And "When Can I See You Again" would've at least been more palatable montage music than "Shut Up and Drive"

Do you like BH6?

I agree Rihanna was out of place for Ralph.