Zootopia (2016)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Wasn't bad but hardly a Disney classic. I did like the animation and the voice acting wasn't bad either but the story, as good of a message as it has, hits you over the head to the point my natural cynicism turned back on. I'm also not sure when I really want to revisit this.

***¾/*****, (B+, 7.6/10, 3/4)

Edited by TheMovieman

Hollywood's second tribute to the cops of the 80's -- the other one being Nice Guys.

Unlike the fantastic Nice Guys (which successfully adapted the style of the 80's cop genre) Zootopia felt more urgent and original; there were times I cried and laughed. Even when it was neither sad or funny the goosebumps flew over my skin because of how important it felt. Moral sense for the whole family.

• Like 3

Finally saw Zootopia on DVD.

Looks like the critics weren't lying about this movie's praise.

Easily one of the best Disney animated films I have seen in a long while. Really liked the characters of Judy Hopps & Nick Wilde.

A+

In terms of favorite animated films from the 2010's....it's up there with Tangled, Wreck It Ralph & Big Hero 6.

Will be fun to see how Moana will do.

• Like 2

Alright, I wrote yet another review, but I think this is the first one I think is "proper".

Zootopia is an electrifying crime thriller, and a giddy subversion of audience expectations. This is the most political that Disney has ever gone, and possibly ever will go, yet Zootopia is still utterly disarming with its blunt but gentle wit, and with its authentically characterized protagonists, Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde.

Even from the first second, the movie is upfront on its theme: A young Judy stars in a cheerily moralizing stage play that depicts enmity between predator and prey as a thing of the past, when animals were stuck in "primitive, savage ways". The parallel to human society is plain to see, but what is downright surprising is that the movie directly satirizes the comforting myths about the world that we tell ourselves.

Judy Hopps is characterized in a bold way. Her sunny exterior hides a zeal for justice that is nearly unscrupulous. The film challenges the viewer upfront when Judy blatantly profiles Nick Wilde based on his species. With other family films, the plucky protagonist always does what is right, but Zootopia introduces a more ambiguous and mature perspective.

These tweaks make the relationship between Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde completely captivating. Their cynical arrangement to solve the disappearance of Emmet Otterton progresses into friendliness, but is always undermined by unspoken mistrust, even as they share tender moments and jovial barbs.

Impeccable production supports the storytelling: The animation is top notch. Every breath, wince and gasp is articulated when Judy's drill sergeant informs her that she must master every ecosystem in Zootopia. The cinematography in that sequence is extraordinary as well. The desaturated colors and moody lighting brings to mind movies like The Silence of the Lambs. Cinematic flourishes set Zootopia apart from more typical animated features.

Zootopia makes no bones about its didactic intent, but it also makes no bones that it will enthrall the audience. This is a classic that will continue to surprise new viewers for all times.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

It didn't get any better on rewatch. It got all these little animation ticks, like cutesy characters annoyingly complimenting each other or message preaching every 5 minutes or extremely basic dialogue that I came to hate about the medium.

Plus, the telegraphed friendship arc and jokes that just don't land makes me dislike it even more. The whole thing is like that DMV gag "Sloths work for the DMV, GET IT?! His name is Flash. LAUGH NOW! He drives fast. HAHAHA".

And those movies homages?! SO. MUCH. CRINGE. 

Don't even get me started on how Judd finds out why predators are going wild or the villain twist.

At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Disney told everyone their scripts were generated by an algorithm. 40/100

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

Zootopia got these little animation ticks, like cutesy characters complimenting each other or message preaching every 5 minutes or extremely basic dialogue that I came to hate. 

Plus, the telegraphed friendship arc and jokes that just don't land, like the DMV gag "Sloths work for the DMV, GET IT?! His name is flash, NOW LAUGH! He drives fast, HAHAHA.

And those homages to classic movies? SO. MUCH. CRINGE. 

Don't even get me started on how Judd finds out why predators are going wild or the villain twist.

At this point, I truly think their scripts are generated by an algorithm.

Did you finally watch the original English? I thought you said that the dub you watched was subpar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

Yes. English voice work was far superior. Dialogue in general gets even more dumbed down when dubbed, and it's horrible.

Gotta say, I don't think anyone denies that the voice acting in Zootopia is top notch. Better than any other American animated feature I can think of.

It's probably part of the reason why I gloss over the scenes I'm not crazy about, like Flash or Godfather Shrew.

• Like 1