Zootopia (2016)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I loved it!! The message was wonderful, the characters were great and it was incredibly clever and entertaining from start to finish. I think this is the Disney Studio's best movie since the 90's (Tarzan probably). The ones they've been doing since Tangled have been cute and all, but this one finally reached another level.

Also, I ship Nick and Judy and think they should make a sequel about the taboos of interspecies relationships. Disney's the only studio in animation that has ever wanted to do love stories anyway (although not so much lately), so I think it's time for another one. And they could totally do one with these two, they had great chemistry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adrianarose27 said:

I loved it!! The message was wonderful, the characters were great and it was incredibly clever and entertaining from start to finish. I think this is the Disney Studio's best movie since the 90's (Tarzan probably). The ones they've been doing since Tangled have been cute and all, but this one finally reached another level.

Also, I ship Nick and Judy and think they should make a sequel about the taboos of interspecies relationships. Disney's the only studio in animation that has ever wanted to do love stories anyway (although not so much lately), so I think it's time for another one. And they could totally do one with these two, they had great chemistry.

What did you think about the "You know you love me" line?

• Like 1

I can say one thing about Zootopia, and it's a film whose themes really grow on you. It's not necessarily a perfect film. The plot is nothing really groundbreaking (I feel like the third act was a bit rushed, especially with the plot twist and the bait-and-switch that felt a little tacky). The animation is absolutely gorgeous, but I would've liked to see other aspects of the city.

But it's probably one of the most important films Disney has ever made. Place it within the context of this presidential election cycle, where xenophobia and fear-mongering are rampant in the primaries. Place it within the context of the #BlackLivesMatter movement and the recent events regarding individuals like Eric Garner, where race relations between blacks and whites are becoming more and more strained. Zootopia is one of the few animated films out there that actually has something big to say about our society. It's a warning for what happens when hatefulness and terror grab ahold of our population, and if we elect leaders who promote those values as something revolutionary, something to..."make America great again." But it's also a symbol of hope for our society that we can once again become a place "where anyone can become anything."

Take me seriously when I say this; Zootopia is a deconstruction of the American Dream, and what we can do to repair it. You've heard it before; America is the big cultural melting pot where all men are created equal and there is opportunity for everyone. The same way that's shown not to be true in Zootopia, that universal message is losing it's meaning every single day when we look down upon those different from us. But if we all get rid of those labels, we can make the American Dream alive once again. It's probably one of the most powerful messages I've seen come from an animated film in years, let alone a talking animal one. And it's executed so perfectly as well. It's not completely shoved in your face to the point where it becomes preachy (like this review might be :P), but it's not tossed aside completely to the point where it loses it's meaning amid the rest of the film.

Besides that, the film is incredibly entertaining as well. Yes, it follows a lot of mystery and noir tropes, but it's still a great time at the movies. I was laughing pretty much every other scene (some had me rolling on the floor), because the writing is so witty and clever. I love how it's humor doesn't completely pander to smaller children like most talking animal movies do. Judy and Nick's chemistry is great, it's a truly believable relationship. And the worldbuilding is truly something else, complimented by amazing, painstakingly well-crafted animation.

Buy a ticket and see this movie now. I hope it blows up like Frozen did back in late 2013/early 2014, because if the films' themes can truly connect with children, it could make the film a better place.

A

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I can say one thing about Zootopia, and it's a film whose themes really grow on you. It's not necessarily a perfect film. The plot is nothing really groundbreaking (I feel like the third act was a bit rushed, especially with the plot twist and the bait-and-switch that felt a little tacky). The animation is absolutely gorgeous, but I would've liked to see other aspects of the city.

Perfect statement right here. The more I think about it the more I like it, it's a movie where multiple viewings will benefit.

For me the funniest bit in the whole movie was when Judy hustled Nick and Nick's "baby" accomplice lifted up the stroller shade and started laughing his head off getting all "she schooled you, man." The DMV scene was great but it was all over the marketing.

• Like 1

I went in expecting a good film, as I do with all Disney films, and came out utterly shocked by how great it was, similar to how I felt with other Disney films. I am floored by the fact that this film has come out with such perfect timing, with all the messages it presented that we are facing in America right now. I really do hope that the themes stick with people and inspire them to do better in the world as it will for me.

A-

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 2

I saw this film 4 hours ago this morning. It's a great family film and probably the best Walt Disney cg animated film. Miles better than Frozen, the characters, story, voice acting, humor, and pacing were a lot better. I would dare say it's on par with Inside Out. A

• Like 1

I found this commentary that really puts racial politics in context for Zootopia: 

As much as the scene is grounded in the world of Zootopia, it’s shot through with elements of many of the real-world police-run press conferences that have followed in the wake of the dozens of high-profile shooting of black people in recent years. Though Judy admits that the ZPD doesn’t know the specific details of the case, reporters focus on the few problematic soundbites she feeds them while taking in visuals of rabid, muzzled animals that the police have detained.

http://fusion.net/story/275485/zootopia-police-racism-race-relations-commentary/

It's really amazing to see pundits take this movie seriously.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

I also found a blog post that suggests that Judy did not deserve Nick's forgiveness:

She says something off color about how predators had returned to their savage ways. Although she recovered from her mistake, and apologized to her friend Nick (a predator), my son seemed confused by the ending. He was probably wondering the same thing I was: She apologized, but that doesn’t mean that it’s okay.

This is where I think the movie was difficult to watch. We teach our son that there’s some words you can’t take back. Judy called the other animals savage, which reminded us of the thousands of times we tried to talk to our son about race and racism. Although I didn’t like how the lesson was presented (perhaps because I’m sensitive about the subject overall), it’s a great starting point for young kids.

https://momandcultured.wordpress.com/2016/03/06/zootopia-disney-hired-writers-with-big-balls-to-help-explaining-racism-sexism/

After all, Judy says, "After we're done, you can hate me." Wouldn't it be such a gonadsy move to actually go that route? Have them save the day, but not be together?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I also found a blog post that suggests that Judy did not deserve Nick's forgiveness:

https://momandcultured.wordpress.com/2016/03/06/zootopia-disney-hired-writers-with-big-balls-to-help-explaining-racism-sexism/

After all, Judy says, "After we're done, you can hate me." Wouldn't it be such a gonadsy move to actually go that route? Have them save the day, but not be together?

Ridiculous...  everyone has a little bigotry in them sometime in their lifes.   The question is can you overcome it and move past fearing those that are different than you.

If Nick does not forgive Judy that we are saying there is no way past bigotry and racism.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Ridiculous...  everyone has a little bigotry in them sometime in their lifes.   The question is can you overcome it and move past fearing those that are different than you.

If Nick does not forgive Judy that we are saying there is no way past bigotry and racism.

So much this.

1 hour ago, AndyLL said:

You know, another quote from this movie is "Life isn't as simple as a bumper sticker."

You might want forgiveness, but what Judy said was extremely fucked up, especially after hearing Nick's story of being bullied. The images of the animals in the muzzles is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Also, I think it's kind of more fitting. I think it's a bit odd that Nick turns on a dime from being pissed off at Judy to being his old self again. It's clever how they do the reversal, though.

• Like 1

But she felt horrible about it. I think Nick had enough time to realize that she was inexperienced handling the press and really didn't want to see him or his species as enemies. And he knew her remorse was completely genuine

Everyone says things they regret from time to time. No matter how bad it is it is still possible to earn forgiveness

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

But she felt horrible about it. I think Nick had enough time to realize that she was inexperienced handling the press and really didn't want to see him or his species as enemies. And he knew her remorse was completely genuine

OK, but do you agree that his forgiveness was a bit sudden? Maybe he could have slowly warmed back up to her.

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

OK, but do you agree that his forgiveness was a bit sudden? Maybe he could have slowly warmed back up to her.

I think Nick already was willing to forgive her, he was just being stand offish to make her grovel and make sure she was for real. Couples do it all the time

• Like 3

Movie can only be so long. I felt they showed all they needed of him being upset and shunning her. She gave a heart felt plea and he let her. Not sure what more you wanted. Movie could have easily been 2 hrs but for a family movie that would not really work either.

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

I think Nick already was willing to forgive her, he was just being stand offish to make her grovel and make sure she was for real. Couples do it all the time

That's actually a great point. The scene seems better to me now.