Zootopia (2016)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Judy herself is a good role model, but the police department as a whole wasn't so much.

I guess that might be all kids need, but I still wouldn't say the movie was glorifying the profession at large. Just like some superhero films (especially recent ones) don't really glorify being a superhero.

Edited by tribefan695

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What's so great about this movie is that it explores its heavy topics in a much more effective and subtle way that feels very much real, more so than most live-action films do.

Take, for instance, the flashback to when Nick was a child and went to become a boy scout only for the other scouts to push him to the ground and put a muzzle over his mouth. Who hasn't witnessed that moment firsthand?

Well, I haven't witnessed any kids putting a muzzle on someone and felt that flashback did border on cliche 80s-bully territory (the one with Judy at the beginning of the film was more relatable), but in the context of the universe I did find it pretty convincing and moving. The whole scene of Judy and Nick bonding in the gondola was the most touching in the film.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, I haven't witnessed any kids putting a muzzle on someone and felt that flashback did border on cliche 80s-bully territory (the one with Judy at the beginning of the film was more relatable), but in the context of the universe I did find it pretty convincing and moving. The whole scene of Judy and Nick bonding in the gondola was the most touching in the film.

I meant more as in who didn't witness another kid (if not themselves) being bullied just for being who they are.

In a way this movie would make for a fitting double feature with last year's The Gift, another Jason Bateman film that dealt with the lasting consequences of childhood bullying.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

Someone needs to make Donald Trump sit down and watch this movie lolol.

He'll probably take the message that "political correctness" is evil and is used by the "weak" for power play. Totally not kidding. No matter how blatant some movie themes can be, some people will take from it only what they want to, even if it's antithetical to the actual message. For instance, there was a weird online clique during the release of Frozen who insisted that "Let It Go" was an empowering song for white folks and "traditional women" to speak out against minorities and feminists pushing PC-isms.  

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The biggest hope for this movie's message ( and any kids movie's ) is the impressionable audience they're intended for

Yeah. Kids almost always interpret messages the right way. Unfortunately for some kids though, their parents happen to be of the "Disney/Hollywood is indoctrinating my child" paranoid variety who will attempt to undo whatever good the movie themes manage to do. It's ironic as it strengthens the gist of what Zootopia, Frozen and other recent films have been trying to say about fear and its complex effects.

• Like 2

Clever.  Original.  Heartfelt.  Inspirational.  Look up any positive adjectives in the dictionary and chances are, they're likely associated with this film.  Disney's latest offering in its already impressive pantheon of spectacular and original animated works of wonders comes in the form of an unlikely cop-buddy film about a bunny who tries to be something more and a sly, wickedly smart fox capable of capturing even the most tainted of hearts.  Zootopia, the 55th animated film from Walt Disney Animation Studios is a film with so many intelligent layers, it would take days to dissect every frame, dialogue, and plot points because this film has an important message, a political statement, something immensely endearing to say in every minute and second of its 108 minutes total run-time.  Yes, it is a comedy/adventure.  Yes, it is a kids animated film.  Yes, it is Disney treading difficult waters.  But, those attributes are the very things that make Zootopia stand out in Disney's bundle of classic animated films.  Like one of its protagonists, Zootopia tries to be different and something more than just a kids animated film.  Zootopia offers a glimpse of our society using personification to its greatest extent. Zootopia treats the messages it is trying to convey with delicate care, vivid imagination, splendid story-telling, metaphors, personification, and above all else: with heart. From the tiniest flicker of movement to the relevant pop culture references, you can tell that the writers and animators of this film had a jolly 'ole time creating this masterpiece.  Zootopia's central themes about being whatever you want to be, the hardships of life, and tolerance are not preachy and does not bore the audience.  It actually unravels them like presents during your birthday or Christmas!  That will most certainly be one of the leading factors to its eventual success: audiences do not want to be preached at, there's church for that. Instead, they want to be entertained.  Zootopia is a great mix of both: it teaches valuable lessons but does not preach about them and is one of the most entertaining and riveting FILMS of this year: animated or not.  

~ Story:

Clever and thought provoking.  The film's premise is set from the very beginning of the show through a play lead by one of our protagonists, Judy, on how the world of Zootopia came to be.  This interesting and clever way of easing the audience into the film brings up many questions as well as sets up one of the most prevalent themes of the story: wanting to be something more.  Judy Hopps is apart of a normal, average bunny family who work at the farm and sell vegetables, fruits. etc... However, Judy, unlike her mother, father, and 200+ brothers and sisters wants to be something more.  Constantly, she is told that she can't be what she wants to be because she's just a bunny!  Judy, however, doesn't take this to heart and doesn't let it bring her down or her dreams.  Through hard work and determination, she achieves her dream of becoming a police officer working in Zootopia.  Thus, she becomes the very first bunny to work in Zootopia as an officer.  While working, Judy meets Nick, a sly fox who tricks her into helping his ulterior motives.  This initiates the story and keeps it chugging along.  The relationship between Nick and Judy is well crafted and executed and is probably one of the MANY highlights of the film.  Each character has a plethora of problems, layers, and much more that make them seem so human and alive.  The true initiating event comes in the form of a missing mammal case: 14 mammals have gone missing and Judy, being the trooper that she is promises her commander that she will solve one of the missing cases.  However, there's a catch, she must do it in 48 hours or resign. Using wit and her intelligence, Judy tricks Nick into helping her and the plot does a glissando to being more than just an animated film and showcases its true colors and power.  As they try to solve the missing mammal case, they (Judy and Nick) unravel a much more sinister and heinous plot coming into fruition.  Within 48 hours, Judy and Nick find out about the "true" mastermind behind the missing mammal case only to be thwarted by an even more grievous mystery: the animal they thought was behind it was actually not behind it but someone else.  This part of the story was, in my opinion the weakest and most flawed.  The film's story builds up to such a crescendo that when the final act came, it was as though the writers were too scared to go more in depth and threw in the plot twist just to avoid confusing little children and scaring them too much.  However, this part, like many arcs in the story was brimming with character development for both parties so it was a nice repercussion.  Throughout the story (notice I never mentioned any of the big plot points or talked about them at all, just gave a tenuous and poorly explanation of the plot) the relationship between fox and bunny showcases how different we are yet how similar we are.  It also brings forth a very important and serious conversation about prejudice and judging a single culture based on the actions of a few as well as about feminism, culture, race, assimilation, the criminal system, politics, and more. Zootopia is, in my opinion, set to be a classic.

~ Themes:

Wonderful and just simply exemplary in its way of dealing with such controversial and layered themes.  This is a kids animated film but it probably has more to say than half of the live action, politically charged films.  Plus, it does it better and with much more heart.  Many of the themes center around prejudice, equal opportunity, and social stereotyping.  Unlike other films, Zootopia tackles these themes in a timely and comedic manner that does not put off audiences but instead immerses them in these topics through clever metaphors and other literary devices.  Some of the most memorable scenes aside from the HILARIOUS sloth scene are politically motivated and have much to say but compared to other films, it doesn't say too little while trying too hard but instead is the opposite: it says much more than what it is going for and THAT is a good thing.  Watch kids and other children ask their parents why they cried or at least sniffled at many of the scenes that involved prejudice, politics, and much more.  Zootopia also does something that I've never seen done with other animated films (Excluding Inside Out because that was one of the 'catches' of the film itself): every character represents a certain negative and positive attribute of life and the world as a whole: a demagogue who wants to save their people/animal, a person trying to be a hero but ends up causing much more troubles, and many more!  Honestly, this film is the total package.  Some of the most emotional scenes include the flash back to Nick's past, Nick and Judy's conversation in the rain-forest district, Nick standing up for Judy, and the peace rally scene.  (There are obviously A LOT more!) 

~ Animation:

No words to describe the animation.  Nothing can justify how beautiful the animation is in Zootopia.  From the opening sequence to the credits, every frame and second of the movie offers glorious dexterity in animation.  Rivaling the potency and emotional output of Inside Out and timeless CGI classics, Zootopia is MILES ahead of past animation offerings and sets the bar quite high for upcoming ones too (probably too high).  If you think Kung-Fu Panda 3 had exceptional animation, wait until you see Zootopia.  If you already have, you probably agree with me that Zootopia's animation is probably one of the best right now.

In conclusion, Zootopia is, as I said before, the total package.  It is educational, funny, challenges audiences in the right way, brings up important conversations for kids and parents, and came at just the right time when our world and society is facing many of the adversities the animals of Zootopia are.  If you told me years ago that Disney would tread racial and societal tribulations waters, I would have called you nuts.  Now, I think Disney will do even more now that they've exposed their true capabilities!  Inclusive of the reactions from the masses and critics, I don't think we'll have to wait long before we have another masterpiece! :D 

Pros:

~ Animation: top notch and WONDERFUL 

~ Story: the initiating event, the build up, the atmosphere, AMAZING  

~ Themes: well crafted and executed

~ Character development and relationships: Nick and Judy are the cutest things on Earth and their relationship is quite realistic and heartfelt 

~ Great messages: no words needed, just splendid overall 

~ Plot structure and execution: ... just beyond AMAZING

~ Comedy: the comedy is on point and IMMENSELY funny from the fat cheetah, the sloths, the interchanging between adjectives Nick and Judy have for each other, to the relationship of Judy's neighbors, this film has child humor, adult humor, and humor for ALL 

Cons:

~ Plot twist: came at the wrong time and did not fit the film's mood (the whole entire audience was enraptured by the tension and mysterious atmosphere of the film and many looked confused and let down when the plot twist was revealed)

~ Cliche parts: every film has them but fortunately Zootopia doesn't have enough to merit a true blasting from me

Final Judgement: 9.5/10, A+ 

Edited by CelestialFairyIX
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, filmlover said:

What's so great about this movie is that it explores its heavy topics in a much more effective and subtle way that feels very much real, more so than most live-action films do.

Take, for instance, the flashback to when Nick was a child and went to become a boy scout only for the other scouts to push him to the ground and put a muzzle over his mouth. Who hasn't witnessed that moment firsthand?

I haven't seen a fox kit get pushed to the ground by a beaver, but I get what you mean.

That's the one scene that is the most disturbing in the movie. I'll bet that even full grown adults who were bullied were triggered into crying at that scene.

• Like 2

Solid movie. Very good story that had me on the edge of my seat. Beautiful animation. Humor was decent but I never had "good laughs". If I never saw the sloth trailer I probably would have laughed my ass off. Best joke was "Walter and Jesse". The political message was well done and never in your face. This is one I'll definitely revisit when it hits Netflix. 8/10 | B 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

The sloth was funny but I thought they did a good job hiding the best jokes. Judy busting the ice cream shop and the bootleg DVDs got a huge laugh out of me in addition to her "felony tax evasion" hustle

The tax joke in the opening play was pretty good as well.

I was big on the Silence of the Lambs parallels when I first saw Zootopia. Now, I think that's overblown, outside of the "rural woman becomes law enforcement officer and has to solve a missing persons case".

Still, they should make that video. It would be satirical.

I went to a screening that had small children in it. I noticed that some of them laughed loudly at the early scenes with Judy as a cop.

I also noticed a child that was about 5 years old react to the scene where young Nick is put into a muzzle. "He must not like them anymore." It was fascinating to see this kid connect the dots between trauma and prejudice.

After I left the theater, I saw an eight-year-old excitedly re-tell the climax scene with Nick and Judy with his parents: "Oh yeah, it was all fake!"

• Like 6

Honestly, Zootopia has more mature themes and handles them better than most actual Oscar contenders I've seen.  The movie floored me, it is one of Disney's best movies period.  This is golden aged Pixar level quality.  The film is quirky, funny, emotional, smart, layered, and gorgeous to look at.  The film comes packed with a message and themes that honestly adults need to hear more than the children it's aimed at.  I am hoping and praying this becomes a Disney staple that kids watch and re-watch, because it could make this world a better place for it.

Every few years you get a movie that flips a mirror on the audience, to expose their own behavior, and does it perfectly.  Zootopia does just that (and the message isn't the only reason the movie is great, it's just that it is literally the driving force behind the film).  And honestly, with all of the directions American politics have gone lately (especially with Trump), this movie manages to expose the hatefulness out of fear that has been driving so much of it.  It has the punch of a great documentary about diversity while being an entertaining Disney film that anyone can watch and enjoy.

If you couldn't tell by now, Zootopia gets an A+ (this was way earlier in the year than I expected to give one)

• Like 3

Oh, another interesting reaction. An adult woman audibly reacted with "no!" multiple times when Bellwether showed up at the end to take the briefcase from Judy. Even before the twist was fully revealed.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2