CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

According to the Wrap, Avengers was the first major hit to be released on the first weekend of May. 

Drugs man, they do that to people.

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

As I said list me one comic book movie that was well loved and was rotten..

Pretty sure TMNT origins are in a comic book. 

And there is always the first TF, while not being a comic book movie, it is quite beloved. Man of Steel isn't exactly hated like some people say either.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Thanks. Wonder Woman and Batman were my favs from this film so I look forward to their stand alone films. I think WW can be successful too even if BvS isn't well-liked because at my showing the audience loved her. 

People loved her as well in mine. Some even applauded her entrance. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

According to the Wrap, Avengers was the first major hit to be released on the first weekend of May. 

Wait - What????

May wasn't part of the "Summer Calendar" until 2012?   Yeah - no.  

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The point is if it was at 90%, the DC fanboys here be stroking themselves to orgasms right now and I would have likely paid to watch this film. 

I wasn't arguing extreme ranges, look at my examples. No one makes a decision to see (or not see) a movie based on a narrow range of RT scores. Either they go for the very broad "is it fresh or is it rotten?" concept or they look for high-ish numbers (if they care at all).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

DMC and TF2 had widely well loved sequels boosting it with goodwill. 

Not comparable ...

DMC was quite beloved as well. I would even say a lot of people love TF2 as well. TF3 barely dropped from it. The drop from TF3 to TF4 has more to do with the change of cast than people not liking TF3, IMO.

• Like 1

Just saw it. No, definitely not for everyone. There's some things i've loved and some ridiculous stuff. For me, it is simple. It's Man of Steel on stereoids. You liked that one? You will love this for sure. And no, its not a 30% RT film, but there will be A LOT of haters and the family appeal is next to zero. Second weekend drop will be fun to watch.

Affleck, Cavill and Wonder Woman are good but Luthor is wrong, really annoying. On the other side, Batman is fucking awesome. The best of the movie.

I give it 6/10.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Something to contemplate guys, did reviews hurt/help Green Lantern/Deadpool or was the movie so bad/good that seperate of the pre movie hype is why they performed how they did? Or does the answer lie in the middle? I think  it's pretty obvious.

Reviews help/hurt people on the bubble. Diehards will see a movie regardless... and for better or worse DC/Batman/Superman have a lot of diehards. I guess we'll see how many.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Thor: 181M

Iron Man 2: 312M

X-Men Origins: 179M

Iron Man: 318M

Spider-Man 3: 336M

Mission Impossible III: 134M

Van Helsing: 120M

X2: 214M

Spider Man: 403M

Mummy Returns: 202M

Gladiator: 187M

The Mummy: 155M

You know, come to think of it, I think The Mummy basically made the start of May officially be considered the start of the summer movie season.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Something to contemplate guys, did reviews hurt/help Green Lantern/Deadpool or was the movie so bad/good that seperate of the pre movie hype is why they performed how they did? Or does the answer lie in the middle? I think  it's pretty obvious.

Lol. 

Things are not as black or white as you think. Everyone I knew, knew Deadpool before the release of the movie and the trailers were very appealing. Nobody gave a shit about Green Lantern and the trailers weren't exactly good either. We just didn't realize how popular Deadpool really was. It was gonna open huge regardless of the reviews.

Green Lantern had a pretty good OD. It was the insanely bad WOM that killed it. Deadpool was riding on an immense amount of hype and the reviews only helped. But in the end, reviews didn't make much of a difference in the OW of either of them. After OW it was the WOM that killed GL and made Deadpool reach the 350M DOM.

Marketing is what it is all about for the OW of a movie. WOM is what it is all about for the legs of a movie.