CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

This weekend has...

Huge Fanboy movie that has diehard fans vs harsh negativity wanting the film to fail.

Add in a polarized reaction and likely decent box office...

Its going to make Man of Steel seem like a walk in the park... 

I think it's going to open huge still. There's no arguing that. But to say that the reviews won't affect the opening weekend at all?

For this big a movie? For a movie that a lot of people were on the fence about seeing?

It affected me going to see it. I know I'm only one person but I imagine there's a lot more people like me out there.

If it was in the 50s or 60s I'd easily go and still be pretty excited. But it's at 33% and 27% with top critics!

These movies are expensive for families man. It could make 200m this weekend and we still won't know how good it would have done with positive reviews.

And yes the stuff the critics are bashing is the stuff the GA usually cares about. 

Edited by somebody85

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Seems to me that most of the time the WOM is really not that much different then the Critical consensus.

And the early WOM seems to be bitterly divided.

And a lot of the things the critics are complaining about...muddled and confusing plot,one dimensional uninteresting characters,are exactly what the GA does not like.

Methinks you have become really emotionally invested in this film, and are in denial that it might not have turned out very good.

Me?  Emotionally invested in this film?  Are you high?  

It seems to me the members here have knee jerk reactions.  It's not even out yet and already people re burying it.

12 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

This plays to an older  and more mature audience then TF so in the long run it does. 

Meaning yes the base gross will happen no matter what, but the higher level grosses wont happen as WOM wont be the best. 

So this plays to a more mature audience than TDK or AVENGERS?  Uhhh NO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

This whole entire forum is gonna turn into August: Osage County this weekend. Run, everyone!

A lot bitches gonna being eating fish this weekend

3 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Me?  Emotionally invested in this film?  Are you high?  

It seems to me the members here have knee jerk reactions.  It's not even out yet and already people re burying it.

So this plays to a more mature audience than TDK or AVENGERS?  Uhhh NO.

If your argument is that reviews do not effect box office, you likely picked the worst possible films to prove your point :P

My point is simple Lordman....this is a fanboy driven film just like Potter is and just like Twilight is and just like Transformers is and just like SW and Hunger Games and LOTR and so on.  Critics don't matter much to these films.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

My point is simple Lordman....this is a fanboy driven film just like Potter is and just like Twilight is and just like Transformers is and just like SW and Hunger Games and LOTR and so on.  Critics don't matter much to these films.  

It absolutely matters to WOM & legs, I didn't know we evaluate just OW as the only thing that matters these days. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Sorry to be that guy but

Sooooooo what'd I miss?

Bad reviews. Because critics thought they were getting an action movie. But it's actually a Rom Com.

I3NRznK.jpg

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I think determining thw quality of a film's WoM before the film is released is little bit silly

I agree with this.  Maybe l'll agree with critics and think BvS is a steaming pile of shit.  But I haven't seen the film so it's not fair for me to give a positive or negative reaction.

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

As I said I am seeing 175 and 385 domestic right now, so I am not expecting this to flop by any means...

I am saying there is evidence since X-Men 1 in 2001, that comic book movies with bad critical reviews have gotten tepid Word of Mouth which has an effect on box office. 

That is not being a hater that is the simple facts... 

8 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I have seen it. The GA will eat it up. My crowd was vibrating with it. I was honestly surprised. TF and Potter movies have weak legs but it doesn't matter, the sequels always keep making money. This franchise will be the same. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

It absolutely matters to WOM & legs, I didn't know we evaluate just OW as the only thing that matters these days. 

No, of course not. But assuming it gets upwards of 170m on OW -- which is an assumption, but not a huge reach -- even pretty shitty legs get it to a fairly impressive total. Maybe not as impressive as if it had gotten a good reception, but money is money.

• Like 1