WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

26 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Zootopia isn't a phenomenon, it's a quality animated film that is doing well at the box-office. The word phenomenon should be saved for things like Avatar, Titanic, and Star Wars. 

I agree.

I would say a couple of Ice Age movies were OS phenomenons. Minions too did ~820m OS !

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

If it makes it past $400 million domestically, I think that's pretty phenomenal.

Probably not going to happen, but hey.

Zootopia DOM goal should be over 336 million........to put it past the Minions. 

Still has a shot for a billion WW

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

The best thing about this movie was Flash, I literally died in his scene, I also thought on you because of your old avatar :lol: 

I bought a shirt with Flash on it the other day.

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I understand relativity just fine. 

But $900 million isn't a disaster. 

Especially with a genre that's as much about the merchandise as anything. Batman and Superman will be shifting plenty of it. 

X-Men is marvel's biggest comic. Fox are spending a fortune on Apocalypse and that isn't getting anywhere near a billion dollars this summer. Will that be a disaster? Nope. 

I think there's value in speculating as to what the mixed reaction will mean for audience appetite for the rest of the DC slate. But as far as the box office goes, calling it a 'disaster' is laughable in my opinion. 

I respect that people believe it. I'll also expect them to apply it to every other $200 million movie that doesn't make a billion dollars from now on. 

You're still missing the point. It's not about how much money you make - it's about how much money you could have made but didn't. Why do you think athletes and actors making $10+ million are always renegotiating their contracts once they see their peers making more than them? The market has changed and now the money they were happy with a minute ago feels insulting. If you saw Batman v Superman you probably saw the trailer for "War Dogs." The first joke in the trailer addresses this very thing. They're happy that they won the government contract with the price they quoted until they discovered it was $50 million lower than the next lowest bidder. 

So is $900 million good? Yes it is. Batman v Superman will make money with this take and its merchandise sales. But imagine if the movie made the same in merchandising AND grossed over $1 billion? That would be even better. And it's not like this was a pipe dream. With the concept for this film, the money was there for the taking if Snyder made a good movie. Don't kid yourself into thinking that's not the case. 

6 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

Saturday was $22.2 million.

You have to wonder if that Saturday estimate was bloated to help slow hemorrhaging of bad headlines this weekend. It was well off it's original estimates for last weekend so how do we know the actuals may park it at or below $50 million after all the weekend talk is done?

8 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

I don't even think Jurassic World is a phenomenon. It's a film that over performed thanks to nostalgia. 

hmm..now you are being too stringent. :lol:

ow record, 2nd weekend record (despite summer weekdays), >3x multiplier, 3rd highest dom grosser, 1b OS...global phenomenon definitely.

F7 was as OS phenomenon too (bigger OS than SW7! ; 1163 vs 1128)

Edited by a2knet

I don't even think Jurassic World is a phenomenon. It's a film that over performed thanks to nostalgia. 

You're just muddling the definition. Jurassic World's opening was a huge shock. Clearly fits, even if it was driven by nostalgia

7 minutes ago, Eastwood51 said:

You have to wonder if that Saturday estimate was bloated to help slow hemorrhaging of bad headlines this weekend. It was well off it's original estimates for last weekend so how do we know the actuals may park it at or below $50 million after all the weekend talk is done?

Saturday estimate was from Rth, so no, it wasn't a made-up number from WB.

8 minutes ago, Eastwood51 said:

Rth said 22. Later Deadline reported 22.2.