The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Well im only on my phone so i can post and puking gifs but Kane is....u know what....forget it. Kane fuckin rules. What an amazing film about a sled. Yay.

• Like 4

Well im only on my phone so i can post and puking gifs but Kane is....u know what....forget it. Kane fuckin rules. What an amazing film about a sled. Yay.

• Like 3

Just now, Baumer said:

Can't even muster a puking emoji?

:puke:

• Like 2

I prefer something like the Thief of Bagdad to the Wizard of Oz.. And I don't think many know about this film.  But it's the only film written by Dr.  Seuss, the 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T, very fun, inventive and a little dark.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DAR said:

I prefer something like the Thief of Bagdad to the Wizard of Oz.. And I don't think many know about this film.  But it's the only film written by Dr.  Seuss, the 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T, very fun, inventive and a little dark.

Thief Of Bagdad is wonderful.  5,000 Fingers of Dr. T  is interesting and has one of my favorite all time Seuss-ian bits

• Like 2

Number 49

The Truman Show (1998)

45 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 45.75)

MV5BMTg4NTU3NTAyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjYw

"We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented. It's as simple as that."

Number 1 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (38, -11), 2013 (52, +3), 2012 (49, --)

Tomatometer: 94%

Box Office: 125.62m (229.81m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 3 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: In this movie, Truman is a man whose life is a fake one... The place he lives is in fact a big studio with hidden cameras everywhere, and all his friends and people around him, are actors who play their roles in the most popular TV-series in the world: The Truman Show. Truman thinks that he is an ordinary man with an ordinary life and has no idea about how he is exploited. Until one day... he finds out everything. Will he react?

Critic Opinion: ""The Truman Show" is a movie loved by so many of the more consciously serious movie critics, I suspect, because -- alienated from many modern big audience studio movies -- they sometimes feel a lot like Truman. Maybe they even worry a bit about succumbing to his fate.  But don't we all wonder, to some degree, about TV's effect on us? Brood about the ways we now experience most of the world outside our workplace or home? Those flat, circumscribed images, with their vacuous brightness and lack of depth? What is it doing to us all?  We may never know. But "The Truman Show" -- delicately subversive, hypnotically sardonic, full of terror, banality and wafer-thin lyricism -- suggests a way out. Just grab onto your paranoia, ride Jim Carrey's smile to the end of the world. And jump off." - Michael Wilmington

User Opinion: "Some of Jim Carrey's best work, much deeper film then I think most people realize. Especially relevant in the 24/7 news & internet social media lifestyle celebrities & other public figures have to go through these days." - GiantCALBears

Personal Comment: Jim Carrey comes in an makes an appearance at number 49 with one of his most acclaimed films, The Truman Show.  The Truman Show is the 8th film from the 1990s to make the list.  The movie was liked but possibly overlooked for how insightful it ended up being about the reality media centric society that was soon about to follow it.  The film has many small complexities and is a blast when watching it for the first time, or even a second or third while you're watching Carrey make his discoveries throughout the film.  The Truman Show is a tight, smart and powerful drama with more to it than meets the eye.

• Like 21

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's not even Weir's best, but I'm happy to see him represented.

Truman Show is a very good movie but he's made quite a few good to excellent movies.

Witness is my favorite Weir (which I forgot to vote for) and The Last Wave might be second.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Truman Show is a very good movie but he's made quite a few good to excellent movies.

Witness is my favorite Weir (which I forgot to vote for) and The Last Wave might be second.

For me, MASTER & COMMANDER, WITNESS, and DEAD POET'S SOCIETY are all above TRUMAN. I've never seen LAST WAVE, actually, though I'd like to.

• Like 3

Number 48

Se7en (1995)

45 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 37.6875)

seven_ver1.jpg

"Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention."

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (55, +7), 2013 (74, +26), 2012 (37, -11)

Tomatometer: 80%

Box Office: 100.13m (197.01m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: A film about two homicide detectives' (Morgan Freeman and (Brad Pitt desperate hunt for a serial killer who justifies his crimes as absolution for the world's ignorance of the Seven Deadly Sins. The movie takes us from the tortured remains of one victim to the next as the sociopathic "John Doe" (Kevin Spacey) sermonizes to Detectives Somerset and Mills -- one sin at a time. The sin of Gluttony comes first and the murderer's terrible capacity is graphically demonstrated in the dark and subdued tones characteristic of film noir. The seasoned and cultured but jaded Somerset researches the Seven Deadly Sins in an effort to understand the killer's modus operandi while the bright but green and impulsive Detective Mills (Pitt) scoffs at his efforts to get inside the mind of a killer...

Critic Opinion: "Fincher uses his stars cleverly. Brad Pitt, who has always struck me as a callow marquee idol with a little charm on loan from Robert Redford, comes through with a witty portrait of a man with lots of heart and guts but not a lot of brain cells. He makes an itchy, impatient, funny hero, and the great Morgan Freeman is around to cool him down. Incapable of a less-than-stunning performance, Freeman is a generous team player, lifting his co-stars up to his level without breaking a sweat (Pitt has Freeman to thank for much of his fine work here). It's completely Freeman's show, but he doesn't carry it so much as embody its concerns. Pitt gets top billing, but we experience everything through Somerset's wise, sad eyes. Whenever the writer gives him a philosophical speech, Freeman brings it home without a scratch, lending the words gravity without pomposity. The pocket of warmth that develops between these men stands in stark contrast to the cold shadows that close in around them. 

And what about the killer? The identity of the actor who plays him was supposed to be some big secret at the time, but I don't see why; this isn't really that kind of movie (if we're ever meant to think that the killer could be Somerset or Mills, there are no red-herring hints to suggest that). And the actor isn't, say, Harrison Ford or Tom Hanks -- stars that we would be shocked to find playing twisted butchers. I will say that this was the second time in 1995 that this actor (who looks and acts here like a demented Michael Stipe) has played a villain shrouded in mystery, and he plays him to eerie perfection. Near the end, the killer has a self-justifying speech that rivals Ben Kingsley's in Death and the Maiden for pure insane logic, and the actor sells it beautifully. The righteous Mills rejects the killer's rant as mania, but Somerset is too old inside to dismiss it out of hand: The world really is horrible, and innocence gets harder to find every day. What matters is how one responds and relates to life in spite of that. Seven will lure people on the strength of its sicko premise and baroque deaths (some of the clinical details will shock the unshockable), but it's as serious as they come, a moral vision of an amoral landscape." - Rob Gonslaves

User Opinion: "One of the most unexpected gut wrenching, nerve-jangling movies I've ever watched in theaters." - Telemachos

Personal Comment: David Fincher returns to the list, just shortly after The Social Network, with the movie Se7en.  Se7en is the 9th film from the 90s to make the list, causing the decade to slowly make gains toward the 2000s and 1980s for second place, so far.  While I actually haven't taken the time to watch this Fincher film, I do know that its popularity among the internet and film-geeks is outspoken.  The movie may not have received the best critical reception compared to other movies on this list, nor did it win many Oscars, but it is has made its mark as one of more loved films from a heavily acclaimed director.

• Like 17

9 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Decent-Not so Good-Awful

The world needs you to change that opinion on Rocky 4 and for Baumer to change his opinion on Pixar. If we can achieve this, it will teach the whole world that if you can change, And he can change, then EVERYBODY CAN CHANGE.  

• Like 3