The Nice Guys (2016)  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give The Nice Guys?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I went into this with no expectations, not having watched any trailers or even knowing the outline of the story.  I had seen the movies I actively wanted to see, and was going to see a movie.  Based on things I read on this forum, I suggested this one, which was still playing two times a day at the Arclight. I'm glad I did.

Great chemistry between Crowe and Gosling.  The daughter was truly good, which is great because child actors can be so annoying when they are saccharine.  I agree that going over the ledge and shooting the girl in the end were both great and unexpected (as was a lot of the humor.)  I was thoroughly entertained, which has rarely happened this year in the theater, frankly.  

It wasn't a 'wonderful, OMG, must go back right now and see it again' kind of film for me, so I gave it a B.  But given the scarcity of other entertaining films this year, I'll give it a B+.

• Like 1

Was really interested based on the trailers and the movie mostly delivers for the first hour or so but kind of loses steam in the third act where it became apparent this was going down the same road as, of all things, Cars 2. Still, I enjoying seeing Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling even if the latter's character isn't exactly consistent in his competency while Angourie Rice, despite playing a precocious kid, wasn't half bad. I might have to watch it again, maybe in a year or so, but for now it's kind of disappointing yet still entertaining at the same time.

***½/*****, (B, 6.9/10, 2.75/4)

I like it very much but I was also let down a bit by the plot. The mystery in buddy cop comedies is usually just an excuse for hijinks to ensue, but the mystery-plot of the Nice Guys is as flimsy as it gets. But the movie is beatiful, the colors and the aesthetic are gorgeous and the trio of protagonists are great and very funny. Not all of the jokes land but some of the ones that work are amazing like the ankle gun set-up/pay-off or anytime Ryan Gosling falls down. The weak story does make the movie feel a little less than the sum of its many good parts but it's still a very fun and beautiful movie. I would watch 7 seasons of a show with Crow, Gosling and his daughter solving crimes in the 70s.

B+

I liked the intent of this movie a lot more than the movie itself, which is all very slight. Gosling and Crowe have fun but the point where everything clicks never really arrives. Having the precocious daughter (a trope I absolutely loathe) in virtually every scene was a drag too, though I seem to be alone in that opinion.

Edited by Hatebox

Just finished this movie. I really liked it! Lots of fun, good humor and characters. Like most, I liked Holly (Rice) especially, though Gosling and Crowe were also great. Best scenes were all of Holland's falls, the bee dream and Tally's fall (replayed this scene a few times). Thought they'd delve more into Holland's guilt about his wife, especially after the girl's death but oh well. B+

My only Shane Black movie (besides IM3) and I haven't watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, so I'll have to see that soon. 

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

This movie is still awesome. I actually thought Gosling was better in this than La La Land (though that was a much better movie).

Correct me if i'm mistaken, but i remember once i've read somewhere that the kind of movies Gosling loves to do the most are comedies, but unfourtunately he keeps being hired for dramas. He'll kill it in more comedies!

1 minute ago, Carlangonz said:

Correct me if i'm mistaken, but i remember once i've read somewhere that the kind of movies Gosling loves to do the most are comedies, but unfourtunately he keeps being hired for dramas. He'll kill it in more comedies!

He's kinda always gravitated more towards dramatic/challenging kinds of roles throughout his career (I'm guessing because he's avoided the franchise machine that is the main bread and butter of the industry and didn't want to become known for nothing but heartthrob-ish roles, which he likely got flooded with after The Notebook). Between this and Crazy Stupid Love, he definitely needs to do comedies more often because his timing is amazing.

• Like 1