WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

15 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Wait what, The Nice Guys has a $50 million budget? I thought it was like a small $10M thang

It was a pretty good movie. It's a shame it's a flop, I think they should have another buddy movie with Gosling and Crowe again. I kinda would like to see a follow up to The Nice Guys to see what they do next or maybe have a film like The Nice Guys and set it in 1980(also have Shane Black attached)

• Like 1

I'd hesitate to call Ryan Gosling box office poison. He's never been interested in being a big movie star (he passed on a lot of blockbustery roles over the years and even turned down being named Sexiest Man Alive one year).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'd hesitate to call Ryan Gosling box office poison. He's never been interested in being a big movie star (he passed on a lot of blockbustery roles over the years and even turned down being named Sexiest Man Alive one year).

Some actors are good to stay in non-blockbuster films but like I said above him,Crowe,and Black should do another film similar to The Nice Guys and set it between 1980-1984.

• Like 1

How much more would The Nice Guys have made OW had it starred Leonardo Dicaprio and Ryan Gosling or Denzel Washington and Michael B. Jordan or Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Lawrence (The Nice Gals)? :)

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Wow at that THE JUNGLE BOOK drop. I thought it would be hit hard.

Since it's more of a live-action tentpole than an animated kids movie (good WOM helps, too), I'm not too shocked. Most expected $10-11 million for the weekend. 

It'll hold well next weekend as well, because of double features w/ Alice 2 and Memorial Day. $350-360 million DOM is looking good. 

For the other films: 

Angry Birds is on its way to $120-150 million DOM 

Neighbors 2 might miss $50 million DOM (with a $17-18 million OW) 

Nice Guys should hopefully leg its way to $35-40 million DOM

Civil War is finishing where everyone expected it to until a couple months ago 

• Like 1

I saw Nice Guys yesterday and walked out wondering how on earth it copped a 90% tomato rating. What were the majority of critics watching? The movie is a mess - the story is disjointed and takes way too long to resolve, the movie captures none of the essence of its late 1970s time and place (they even get the music wrong in many places) and the comic relief almost always falls flat. It is too implausible to be serious and too unfunny to be comical, it can't get that balance right. Crowe is OK in his role, everyone else is meh. Not recommended, maybe the 40th best film of the 54 i've seen so far this year. 

Edited by SteveJaros

I know someone mentioned the other page that we are living in a wacky period in terms of box office but I think it's becoming par the course. People are becoming more selective when it comes to parting with their hard-earned cash and prioritize, and if the movie doesn't really jump out at them (like an unnecessary sequel to Neighbors, for example), they will just wait to watch it at home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

The Jailbait ads didn't work by the looks of it

Probably because most of those girls weren't that attractive.  Nobody tries harder than Chloe Grace Moretz to become a star.  Now, she's even dating David Beckham's son, which will get her a ton of press and photo-ops.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Well the last comedy I watched in theaters was Hangover 2.

Paying 15 bucks to see a film that does not really matter if you see on a big screen or a cellphone, does not seem worth it to many.

This applies to many adult dramas too, they have big interest but many watch it on the computer or box. 

Like I am certain a film like Wolf of Wall Street 10 years ago would have sold a ton more tickets (was a good hit regardless).

Adult dramas and comedies still do well but not as well as before. 

Rare examples like the Leo Bear film and American Sniper 

Hmmmm.

Just now, trancedanne said:

Not surprised about Nice Guys at all, i have never even bothered to watch a trailer of that one. Free State Of Jones will be another small movie that will bomb big time.

It's so weird that they've given Free State of Jones this big summer spot. I'll probably see it just for the talent involved but it looks boring tbh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We might as well prepare for a ho-hum-ish Memorial Day as well. So much brand power, so little excitement.

Alice will do under 60M for the 3 day and X-Men could be below 70M (though it's showing up early on Pulse and MT).