CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

All they need to do is have Hallie and Rob Marshall come out and announce a release date. They don't have to have the entire cast.

They must be waiting for the LM 30th anniversary panel. The Disney Studios panel emphasized SW and Marvel mostly.

They were done with SW and Marvel 45 minutes into a 2 hour+ panel. They had plenty of time to talk about TLM but chose not to.

Edited by cookie

They could have talked about TLM if they wanted but all the movies that were presented are ahead of this one in the schedule and they still ended up going over the 2 hour mark. Make sense if they wanted to save the announcement for today but that's no guarantee either. Again, it would be strange if there was nothing but we'll see. 

• Like 1

Word is that Marshall and the producers loved Harry but I find it difficult to believe they put all their eggs in one basket. They've been casting this movie for months and I doubt they've been sitting on their hands waiting for Harry to sign up until a few weeks ago. Marshall is too experienced not to have been looking at other options. I mean, we know there were auditions based on Asher Angel saying he auditioned for the role. To me, the most logical explanation is that this movie has been pushed backed for some other reason. I'd love to know why. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ororo Munroe said:

There was apparently a suprise guest, the actress who is playing Ariel in the tv event. But no Halle (even though she was at D23) and no mention of the movie, apparently. I will try not to read too much into it but that is really weird, indeed. 

Nothing much to read into really.  One Disney will not recast because that would be clearly racist. Two all the Disney renaissance films made over 1 billon at the box-office so it's going to happen to matter what. Disney loves money. They just didn't want to say anything but yes it's weird.

Edited by superheavysun

53 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Word is that Marshall and the producers loved Harry but I find it difficult to believe they put all their eggs in one basket. They've been casting this movie for months and I doubt they've been sitting on their hands waiting for Harry to sign up until a few weeks ago. Marshall is too experienced not to have been looking at other options. I mean, we know there were auditions based on Asher Angel saying he auditioned for the role. To me, the most logical explanation is that this movie has been pushed backed for some other reason. I'd love to know why. 

Harry styles is not the end all be all. Films not pushed back. The film was always set to start production January next year. That's four months, way more time than Marshall would need to cast everyone and get everything else ready to start the production.

36 minutes ago, superheavysun said:

Harry styles is not the end all be all. Films not pushed back. The film was always set to start production January next year. That's four months, way more time than Marshall would need to cast everyone and get everything else ready to start the production.

I'm sorry, did I say Harry was the end all be all?? Did I say Marshall didn't have enough time to cast?? Point is, if the movie were set to film in January 2020, why did they completely ignore it at D23? That was the perfect time opportunity to make an official announcement about the film, its production and release date. At the very least, no announcement suggests that the movie is not getting a 2021 release or that they are still unsure about that or other aspects of the movie. 

No, I don't think they will recast, or cancel the movie. Stop projecting. I'm simply saying there may be some issues that are causing a delay. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

I agree that 2021 doesn't look likely. There were multiple opportunities during D23 to just announce the date. I get the impression that they are not sure how long post-production will take due to the underwater scenes. May 2021 seems to be pushing it if they start filming next year. A January film start will mean it will wrap around May or June (MAYBE late April). That gives then a year or less to post produce. Aladdin wrapped in January, 2018 and had a 16 month post-production time-frame. Mary Poppins Returns filmed from Feb. 2017-July, 2017. It also had a 16 month post-production. TLM will probably have a bit longer so a May 2022 release date seems likely. MAYBE March 2022.

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

I agree that 2021 doesn't look likely. There were multiple opportunities during D23 to just announce the date. I get the impression that they are not sure how long post-production will take due to the underwater scenes. May 2021 seems to be pushing it if they start filming next year. A January film start will mean it will wrap around May or June (MAYBE late April). That gives then a year or less to post produce. Aladdin wrapped in January, 2018 and had a 16 month post-production time-frame. Mary Poppins Returns filmed from Feb. 2017-July, 2017. It also had a 16 month post-production. TLM will probably have a bit longer so a May 2022 release date seems likely. MAYBE March 2022.

The cast for this isn't even close to finished so that's probably why they're holding off on announcing a date for now. If this starts shooting by January a July 2021 release seems like a solid bet (Sing 2 and Space Jam 2 can easily move).

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The cast for this isn't even close to finished so that's probably why they're holding off on announcing a date for now. If this starts shooting by January a July 2021 release seems like a solid bet (Sing 2 and Space Jam 2 can easily move).

Why July? To match the release date of TLK? I think if they had July 2021 in mind they would at least have announced that. There won't be a D23 expo to feature this film.

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

Why July? To match the release date of TLK? I think if they had July 2021 in mind they would at least have announced that. There won't be a D23 expo to feature this film.

Aladdin was in the middle of casting when the last D23 happened and didn't begin shooting or have a release date until two months after it and ended up a monster hit without being featured at a D23 expo. If they think the movie can make that date, they'll set it.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Aladdin was in the middle of casting when the last D23 happened and didn't begin shooting or have a release date until two months after it and ended up a monster hit without being featured at a D23 expo. If they think the movie can make that date, they'll set it.

Aladdin announced its entire cast at D23 that year though, they brought out everyone on stage 

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Aladdin announced its entire cast at D23 that year though, they brought out everyone on stage 

Smith, Massoud, and Scott were the only ones casted at the time, everyone else was after D23.

Little Mermaid still has a number of major roles that haven't been filled yet like Sebastian, Flotsam & Jetsam, and of course Eric, plus Disney probably only wanted to promote the movies that are already well along the way (plus Cruella, which just began filming and was still supposed to open next year this time last week). I imagine we won't hear anything about a release date until the cast is all set.

I thought July 2021 was a good bet when they announced Cruella was moving to May 2021 but the fact that we got nothing about this movie at D23 really makes me question that. They obviously don't need a full cast set to acknowledge the movie at D23, so that's not the issue. 

6 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm sorry, did I say Harry was the end all be all?? Did I say Marshall didn't have enough time to cast?? Point is, if the movie were set to film in January 2020, why did they completely ignore it at D23? That was the perfect time opportunity to make an official announcement about the film, its production and release date. At the very least, no announcement suggests that the movie is not getting a 2021 release or that they are still unsure about that or other aspects of the movie. 

No, I don't think they will recast, or cancel the movie. Stop projecting. I'm simply saying there may be some issues that are causing a delay. 

Their no issues or delays.  Disney not casting as fast as you want and not making an announcement at D23 does not mean anything. Shooting does not start until next year.

Edited by superheavysun

8 hours ago, superheavysun said:

Their no issues or delays.  Disney not casting as fast as you want and not making an announcement at D23 does not mean anything. Shooting does not start until next year.

Lol Did you actually read my posts? I have zero issues with lack of casting. I just said in my last post that we don't need a full casting announcement right now. If shooting starts in January, that's 5 months from now, which is pretty soon. Why wouldn't they acknowledge the movie at D23, as they have done with every other live action movie?