CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The anti-woke crowd rallied against Captain Marvel too. Just sayin.

It was funny watching them move the goal posts when it kept making more and more money. 

Im Rich Chappelles Show GIF

Did even tried it with WF. Some of them got so desperate and said Disney was buying up all the tickets and theaters were really empty. They are so said it’s funny.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

‘Little Mermaid’ To Do Backflips Over Memorial Day Weekend With $110M Opening – Box Office Early Look

https://deadline.com/2023/05/box-office-little-mermaid-opening-projection-1235356151/

This is why Disney will keep making these. They can pull in numbers like these with minimal filmmaking effort. I also wonder if the racebent Ariel is actually benefiting this movie and giving it a novelty factor of sorts. It certainly makes me curious on how their also-racebent Snow White will perform next year.

17 hours ago, PrinceRico said:

Why would it. These same people were never going to see the movie and anybody with half a brain just laughs at them. This is 2023. Families are not going say you can’t see this movie because the star is black and night white and even the very few who do won’t make an impact. If anything this film will get a bigger boost from the urban crowed because of Haille 

Is this true? Social media noise seems a lot less interesting that whatever studios think is or isn't a problem. 

I poked around Sony Hack emails and found re: 2014's Annie (Jamie Foxx/Beasts of Southern Wild kid) multiple datapoints showing Sony concerned about it. The initial marketing research flagged race of protagonists as a significant concern and when Sony sent the film around to international distributors (?), two of them mentioned the race of protagonist as a problem for them. It just pretty directly seems that Sony treated this as a concern they wanted to keep tabs on even if it wasn't the biggest thing they focused on. 

Amy Pascal freaked out (at least momentarily) by poor test screening scores in a super-majority white test screening of 2014's Annie in a liberal suburb of Denver ("they are one of the most liberal places aside from here so i want to be sure its not about why did they remake it") and wanted to order a lot more test screenings to confirm if this was or wasn't audiences perceiving the film as "black annie" and that hurting audience reception (she said "I dont want to jump to conclusions but i wont stick my head in the sand either"). The claim was that scores were different among parents but not kids. 

Of course, both sets of scores were much better than film's 33% RT critics score so even if true, was it just reflecting an active bonus among black audiences (which according to sony constantly expressed sky high interest in the annie reboot).

Honestly not sure how applicable this is to Disney reboots but I went looking and this is what I found. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

I hate these live action remakes, but they are sure fire at the box office.

You have to be able to seperate your own likes/dislikes from box office facts to discuss box office halfway intelligently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrinceRico said:

Reactions in two days. Hope they are great so we can get this to 120 to 130 opening after GOTG3 disappointed and Fast X looking to  it be not big. 

I thought GOTG 3 is exceeding expectations.

6 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

With the huge negativity surrounding its marketing/casting this film really NEEDS to have some glowing reactions, especially to Halle Bailey's performance.

The reviews are the only thing that can save the film from flopping. Apparently test screening reviews have been great and Melissa got raves at Cinemacon

• Like 1

Just now, joselowe said:

The reviews are the only thing that can save the film from flopping. Apparently test screening reviews have been great and Melissa got raves at Cinemacon

Good first step for sure.

1 hour ago, joselowe said:

When have reviews ever been important for Disney live-action remakes???

11 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

When have reviews ever been important for Disney live-action remakes???

Since the extreme negative reaction to marketing probably has alot of fence sitters questioning this one. 

15 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Since the extreme negative reaction to marketing probably has alot of fence sitters questioning this one. 

The films is already tracking to do great and pre sales are good so the fence sitters can continue to sit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eXtacy said:

With the huge negativity surrounding its marketing/casting this film really NEEDS to have some glowing reactions, especially to Halle Bailey's performance.

Halle acting looks bad in trailers, but her voice is incredible , so seems like a wash