CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

I agree that the way things are going now the franchise is entering retread territory, but with a reboot and changes in leadership, I think it can find a place for itself given the themes and characters. Avengers are on top, absolutely. Saturation can happen yeah. But 2012, 2011, and 2008 show there is room for more than one SH franchise.

Honestly the only X-Men character who deserves his origin movie is Quicksilver. His backstory, as presented so far, has been curious and Evan Peters is a better actor than Aaron Ialreadyforgothisname.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

This is kinda floppy, isn't it? 

opens #1 FRI w/ $26.4M. 4day gross heading to $80M range. Pretty good marks from paying auds.

DOFP did 2.1x of it's 110.6m 4-day.

APOC could do 1.95x of 80m I guess? That gives 156m :mellow:

Probably ~550m WW using 400m odd OS.

Definitely disappointing. DOFP was 234m Dom/514m OS/748m WW.

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It was easy to see this happening. I have been predicting 65/80 for quite a while and it looks I will be right.

Touche. You also seemed to have your meltdown last week. How do you see this world wide? I am thinking 500-520.

1 minute ago, superweirdo87 said:

Touche. You also seemed to have your meltdown last week. How do you see this world wide? I am thinking 500-520.

Thinking around 520-540M WW right now. This is with 160M DOM total and it won't surprise me if it goes lower than that.

1 minute ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

You know?? It does make me wonder how this movie would've done with the Old Cast onboard VS The New Cast since pretty much, most people think of Patrick Stewert and Sir Ian McKellan when it comes to the X-MEN??? I'll admit, this new cast right down to Jennifer Lawrence doesn't do shit for me like the old cast did, but yeah, I get why they did that so the new generation wouldn't bag on it for those reasons..

Seeing the old cast in DOFP made the film a great crowd pleaser for XMEN films. 

The problem with X-Men and other comic book movies is you can't have every single one of them have the plot be about the world/humanity being destroyed.  The scope is so large that people get tired and numb to it.  

I think it is the reason Deadpool did so well.  No bullshit about saving the world.  No supervillan.  No angst if he should save humanity.  Straight forward 3 scene story where he kicks ass, saves his girl and has a great time doing it.  

• Like 3