ddddeeee

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children | 9/30/16

Does anyone knows if this movie covers only the first book or the whole trilogy? I'm going to be reading it next month and I wanna make sure if I should read the whole trilogy(if I like the first book that is) before this movie or I can stop at the first.

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Does anyone knows if this movie covers only the first book or the whole trilogy? I'm going to be reading it next month and I wanna make sure if I should read the whole trilogy(if I like the first book that is) before this movie or I can stop at the first.

The first book.

I'm quite interested in that aspect actually. The book has a very open ending which I can't imagine Burton going for since he likes things to stand on their own.

I don't think this will spawn a franchise anyway. Buzz seems non-existent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

The first book.

I'm quite interested in that aspect actually. The book has a very open ending which I can't imagine Burton going for since he likes things to stand on their own.

I don't think this will spawn a franchise anyway. Buzz seems non-existent.

Yeah, I really hope this has a good ending that close whatever story-line they are going for because, as you said, this will most likely flop.

I keep repeating myself, but this is probably the best screenwriter Burton's worked with in a while and source material that really suits him. I kind of expect this one to be his best in a long while. Now, what does that mean? Not sure. He's fallen pretty far.

Last ridiculously awesome Elfman score was Charlie. And, honestly, for me, that's the last time Burton came close to a great movie too. I think that ones miles ahead of Big Eyes, Dark Shadows, Frankenweenie and Alice. I think it edges out Sweeney as well. Script lack the bite, weirdness of the best Burton but, it's John August's best adaptation for anything Burton, the source material is perfect for him and it's structured really well. Wonka's motivations actually serve the character well too.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

I keep repeating myself, but this is probably the best screenwriter Burton's worked with in a while and source material that really suits him. I kind of expect this one to be his best in a long while. Now, what does that mean? Not sure. He's fallen pretty far.

I feel like people have moved on. It used to be a case of people really wanting him to succeed but now there's nothing. His last two movies have been pretty well received critically but nobody even cares to acknowledge them.

I think this will be another just 'good' movie that gets filed away because he needs more than that to get people back on board.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I feel like people have moved on. It used to be a case of people really wanting him to succeed but now there's nothing. His last two movies have been pretty well received critically but nobody even cares to acknowledge them.

I think this will be another just 'good' movie that gets filed away because he needs more than that to get people back on board.

Well, Frankenweenie was passable. A good time. But, nothing great or new from him. For as much as Big Eyes had on it's mind, it came across as very empty and dull. So, in a way, he retreaded with Frankenweenie on something he already did better in the 80s and, then, Big Eyes was almost a retread of Ed Wood as it was the same screenwriters. But, honestly, possibly the least compelling biopic they've written yet. Neither was interesting enough to register.

If somehow Peregrine is very good and snags an audience and he does for Dumbo what Favreau did for Jungle Book, he'll be back.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

I like Frankenweenie a lot.

Big Eyes is fine but they seemed to want to hold back on the hysterical oscar bait stuff so much that they kind of took out all the drama? A missed opportunity for sure.

You're much more optimistic about Dumbo than I am. Ethren Kruger is writing that one...

I wish I was optimistic about Dumbo. Again, with him, everything hinges on the screenwriter. Maybe if it goes well with Goldman she'll start writing his stuff? Or, at least assist in rewriting? Kruger's a shit writer but at least his stuff's kind of weird and can be revised into something interesting.

I love the live action Frankenweenie. The new one looks great but feels far too long. It really works better as 30 minute movie than an 80+ minute one. Just not much there.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

I wish I was optimistic about Dumbo. Again, with him, everything hinges on the screenwriter. Maybe if it goes well with Goldman she'll start writing his stuff? Or, at least assist in rewriting? Kruger's a shit writer but at least his stuff's kind of weird and can be revised into something interesting.

I was hoping she would redraft Beetlejuice 2 before that died.

28 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Last ridiculously awesome Elfman score was Charlie. And, honestly, for me, that's the last time Burton came close to a great movie too. I think that ones miles ahead of Big Eyes, Dark Shadows, Frankenweenie and Alice. I think it edges out Sweeney as well. Script lack the bite, weirdness of the best Burton but, it's John August's best adaptation for anything Burton, the source material is perfect for him and it's structured really well. Wonka's motivations actually serve the character well too.

Let's hope this marks his comeback, he's a director that Hollywood should always have around

It does seems like he's really lost his edge. But, it's an odd case with Burton. I mean, his last two movies aren't great but neither's remotely bad. Hopefully his worst is behind him... His stretch of Alice and Dark Shadows being his worst. And, he'll likely keep getting big project because, for the most part, he's had huge returns from Batman, Batman Returns and Alice. And, he's had nice returns from Charlie and Apes as well. Not to mention, while not huge Sweeney and Big Fish did just fine. Big Eyes too.

So, hopefully, somehow, he finds his voice again. Or, revises/refines it.