ddddeeee

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children | 9/30/16

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I'm hoping it doesn't either. I'll be reading the book a few weeks beforehand and I'll be there as soon as it opens over here.

it will bomb though :ph34r:

I'm not touching the books until after the movies. I watched the first few HP movies and thought they were magical, but after reading the books first the rest of the way, the movies just disappointed. I originally had read the Song of Ice and Fire prior to Game of Thrones on HBO, and I was never excited until this recent season. 

I like where the movie is situated. I guess it's only real competition is Storks which at least isn't an established commodity. That gives it a great chance. Mag Seven, Girl on a Train, and the Accountant are really different kinds of movies. To be honest, I love HP and X-Men, and this trailer has me more interested than those contributions this year...

Of course I could be terribly disappointed, but I hope not!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I'm not touching the books until after the movies. I watched the first few HP movies and thought they were magical, but after reading the books first the rest of the way, the movies just disappointed. I originally had read the Song of Ice and Fire prior to Game of Thrones on HBO, and I was never excited until this recent season. 

I like where the movie is situated. I guess it's only real competition is Storks which at least isn't an established commodity. That gives it a great chance. Mag Seven, Girl on a Train, and the Accountant are really different kinds of movies. To be honest, I love HP and X-Men, and this trailer has me more interested than those contributions this year...

Of course I could be terribly disappointed, but I hope not!

I'm the opposite actually, I tend to be more into a cinematic adaptation if I have read the original work first. So yes, I'm definitely reading the books first. It also helps that I've had them for months already and have been reading lots of good things about them way before I even knew a movie was coming out.

Plus I kinda get the feeling that this is the kind of movie that won't do too well with the public that isn't familiar with the original, kinda like a less extreme version of what happened to Warcraft, you know? Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping this feeling is incorrect, but that's what my gut is telling me about this movie.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2016 at 4:12 PM, dudalb said:

So it's "THe X men meet Harry Potter"?

Yeah, pretty much.  

I've read the book (first book. apparently there are more now) a while back. While it was ok, it was honestly kinda disappointing. Without spoiling anything, it very much felt like a conscious effort to write "Book 1 of the series" instead of telling its own story (dropping lots of hints of things to come, didn't explain a lot of things, etc), it felt like it was trying to rush through the world building and didn't spend enough time in any one place, and the tone was all over the place.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I think this could do okay domestically (20/60) but will bomb overseas (sub 60 total). Looks like a great movie by the way.

20/60 probably would mean no sequel. This  movie also looks like it cost some money to make. Dang, I hope it does a lot better than that.

20 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

20/60 probably would mean no sequel. This  movie also looks like it cost some money to make. Dang, I hope it does a lot better than that.

I don't know, maybe I'm just oblivious to the hype but I'm not feeling it yet. I feel like Magnificent 7 will be the late September hit.

30 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don't know, maybe I'm just oblivious to the hype but I'm not feeling it yet. I feel like Magnificent 7 will be the late September hit.

I think M7 will do well but I think Storks will be a solid hit as well, thinking $25-30m for that one on OW with a $80-100m final gross

35 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think M7 will do well but I think Storks will be a solid hit as well, thinking $25-30m for that one on OW with a $80-100m final gross

Oh storks as well for sure. That weekend will be a bloodbath; I'm expecting 30M for both Storks and M7.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Oh storks as well for sure. That weekend will be a bloodbath; I'm expecting 30M for both Storks and M7.

I'm thinking $35-40m for M7 and Storks $25-30m, both solid numbers for September. If M7 manages over $48m then Sony will have the box office record for September once again. I give them credit for making what is a pretty dead month into a good place to schedule animated films and action films. 

• Like 1

September might be able to shock:

Sully: first movie to be fully filmed w/ IMAX cameras, Clint Eastwood director, Tom Hanks

The Wild Life: can never really ignore the potential of animated animals

Snowden: Oliver Stone, JGL

Mag 7: stars galore, Western

Storks: can never really ignore the potential of animated animals

Miss Peregrine: Burton, super powers, school