FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Here's a thought - the quality of the movie affects RT scores.   Make a better movie. 

Social media post BvS opening was not positive.  IMDB which had been bolstered by 10,000+ 10 votes even before it screened to anyone and which is predominant driven by young males took a nose dive right after opening.  As did RT audience scores.   That was not the critics at work.  The movie opened huge and after the opening w/e about 40-50 million people saw it and their WOM would have been far stronger than any critical reviews.  Yet worldwide it had huge drops almost everywhere in many countries where RT isn't even known.    You can read the fan board at SuperHeroHype where the fervor for BvS was hugely intense and positive before opening and then became significantly negative after it was seen, and these are the die hards.

Everyone has their own taste as to what is a good or bad movie but blaming critics for the audience at large for not liking or going to see the movie you want is flawed thinking.  And thinking critics at large have an agenda against your favorite movie is conspiracy nut levels.

1. Quality of movie does affect RT, but not all RT votes are equal, and many of them down right stink. That is part of the problem, but more so the problem is how RT is placed so highly in fans eyes without even reading the critics. It's a number that isn't fully explored by the movie goer. 

2. IMDB initially had a number of 1 scores most contributed from a very negative group of IMDB users towards that movie and other movies from the same company. The 10 scores were in response to those 1s and it continued in jeuvenille fashion. Similarly, RT audience has some of the same action involved. In total, both the audience scores from IMDB and RT audience are much higher than the RT critic percentile. 

3. WoM on Twitter was 15:1 +/- ratio and remained high for at least the first month. The lowest it became was 1:1 ratio over a month after when it just devolved into a fanboy v fanboy war with only the most passionate continuing. Facebook likes continued to grow. OS, the movie did better than the DOM multiplier. 

4. RT has both supported and detracted from movies that I like and hate. There are many good RT reviewers which I don't always agree with but can respect their opinion. Due to minimal restrictions, there are too many RT critics these days who don't even bother putting effort in their reviews, and many of them are clearly biased or out of touch with the movie they are watching. For example, a review can be negative even though cinematography, acting, and production values are seen in a positive light, because the reviewer could not stand the main actor's hair. To say that such poor efforts has no effect would be naive, imo.

5. There's a good effort in taking the history of some of these movies to later deem them as failures. Why the effort? I mean, you yourself have given me a cherry-picked version of things happening. Why have you followed the negatives so closely? Why is there a need for that for WC or X-Men or soon ID?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Does Warcraft hold mean trouble for Assassin's Creed?

AC is definitely a better fit for film that Warcraft, though still not an ideal choice imo. It will take some really ironing out of the convoluted nature of the game plots to work in film. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

AC is definitely a better fit for film that Warcraft, though still not an ideal choice imo. It will take some really ironing out of the convoluted nature of the game plots to work in film. 

Well what I think could make it more successful than Warcraft is that its plot isn't based on any of the games. It's going to be its own thing, which is good storytelling-wise and possibly financial-wise.

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

:sadben: 

Are you seeing what I am seeing?

What, the putrid garbage on TV? I was pretending not to, honestly.

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The problem is that Inside Out is high-concept to the extreme. It would nearly be impossible to do a sequel that isn't a remake in some way.

The sequel writes itself - Riley grows up, her emotions grow up. Think Toy Story 3 in the brain of a teen girl.

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

What, the putrid garbage on TV? I was pretending not to, honestly.

I need to do that Wednesday when they get eliminated on the easiest group ever. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Well what I think could make it more successful than Warcraft is that its plot isn't based on any of the games. It's going to be its own thing, which is good storytelling-wise and possibly financial-wise.

Ah didn't know that. Yeah, probably a smart choice. Like I said, the game plots are kind of a big mess. 

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I need to do that Wednesday when they get eliminated on the easiest group ever. 

Everybody laughs at England. If you're British, don't feel sad - just look and laugh at us instead. Even if we did sorcery, we're bound to be losers forever. #HOWTHEFUCKDIDRENATOSANCHESNOTENTERTHEGAME #HOWTHEFUCKDIDCR7MISSAFUCKINGPENALTY #WHY #FUCKTHISSHIT

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Everybody laughs at England. If you're British, don't feel sad - just look and laugh at us instead. Even if we did sorcery, we're bound to be losers forever. #HOWTHEFUCKDIDRENATOSANCHESNOTENTERTHEGAME #HOWTHEFUCKDIDCR7MISSAFUCKINGPENALTY #WHY #FUCKTHISSHIT

Fernando Santos is drunk. 

31 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

1. Quality of movie does affect RT, but not all RT votes are equal, and many of them down right stink. That is part of the problem, but more so the problem is how RT is placed so highly in fans eyes without even reading the critics. It's a number that isn't fully explored by the movie goer. 

2. IMDB initially had a number of 1 scores most contributed from a very negative group of IMDB users towards that movie and other movies from the same company. The 10 scores were in response to those 1s and it continued in jeuvenille fashion. Similarly, RT audience has some of the same action involved. In total, both the audience scores from IMDB and RT audience are much higher than the RT critic percentile. 

3. WoM on Twitter was 15:1 +/- ratio and remained high for at least the first month. The lowest it became was 1:1 ratio over a month after when it just devolved into a fanboy v fanboy war with only the most passionate continuing. Facebook likes continued to grow. OS, the movie did better than the DOM multiplier. 

4. RT has both supported and detracted from movies that I like and hate. There are many good RT reviewers which I don't always agree with but can respect their opinion. Due to minimal restrictions, there are too many RT critics these days who don't even bother putting effort in their reviews, and many of them are clearly biased or out of touch with the movie they are watching. For example, a review can be negative even though cinematography, acting, and production values are seen in a positive light, because the reviewer could not stand the main actor's hair. To say that such poor efforts has no effect would be naive, imo.

5. There's a good effort in taking the history of some of these movies to later deem them as failures. Why the effort? I mean, you yourself have given me a cherry-picked version of things happening. Why have you followed the negatives so closely? Why is there a need for that for WC or X-Men or soon ID?

• It also had poor reviews from the top critics and the avg score, not just the rotten/fresh meter was low for both. It had over 300 reviews and the overwhelming majority were not nit picking about hair but rather structure, story, tone, characterization etc.  Top critics reviews were lower for BvS (24 vs 27%) and Warcraft (18% vs 29%) than overall reviews.  Those who tend to only use an RT score to see a movie most likely weren't the type to read in depth reviews before RT came along anyway.
  • The proportion of 10s to 1s was overwhelmingly favored to the 10s and that's why the score plummeted from the 9s to the 7s in 2 days after opening
  • OS the multiplier was 2.11 (47.3% o/w) not much better than domestic's 1.99  (50.3% o/w)
  • 15:1 is not a great multiplier on twitter for a movie that just opened since it's being driven then by the most enthusiastic fans who rush out the first couple of days.
  • You're cherry picking and also indulging in conspiracy theories that critics are biased for Disney unless say they're reviewing Alice In Wonderland 2, Tomorrowland, The Lone Ranger, Mars Needs Moms, John Carter etc.  Or ignoring previous great reviews for WB SH movies and X-men films from the same group of critics.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

.... I wonder if the FPF could just pull a Ricardo Salgado, steal all the money they can and buy Pep Guardiola from Bayern to come over here and coach our National Team.

Or maybe they can go fuck everything and bring back Scolari. 

The only portuguese coaches I want are either Jesus or Mourinho. 

34 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Actually, it fell to 1:1 during or right after the second weekend. Whether or not the critics unduly influenced it, the word-of-mouth on BvS was absolutely toxic.

Edited by johnboy3434

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

Fuck soccer. Play a real sport.

Considering it is the biggest sport in the world, I'd say it is a real sport. And it is called football for fuck's sake. 

Edited by James
  • Like 4

@FilmBuff What's a real sport for ya? Running around w/a handegg, which you call "football" for some reason despite the fact that you only kick the ball every once in a while? C'mon dude, the sports Gods laugh at iterations of that mentality.

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Or maybe they can go fuck everything and bring back Scolari. 

The only portuguese coaches I want are either Jesus or Mourinho. 

Scolari? Puh-lease, he's still trying to clean his shat on soul after the 7-1 epic fail against Germany.

Mourinho will only do it before retirement, so you better wait on a chair for it. Jesus? Ehh. If we're talking PT coaches, I figure they should go and get Domingos Paciência from whatever hole he's at.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Scolari? Puh-lease, he's still trying to clean his shat on soul after the 7-1 epic fail against Germany.

Mourinho will only do it before retirement, so you better wait on a chair for it. Jesus? Ehh. If we're talking PT coaches, I figure they should go and get Domingos Paciência from whatever hole he's at.

Domingos Paciência is terrible. He is a commentator at RTP1 LOL. 

Scolari did great things with the national Portuguese team. Jesus would be a fantastic choice and you know it. He would put Ronaldo in his place.