baumer

Wednesday'number from RTH for Dory 18M

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Because of peer pressure.  When the forum admin keeps telling you to "be realistic"  you eventually cave. 

The sad thing is I went from initial predictions of 400ish for CW and 500ish for Dory in the game to my final  predictions of 555 for CW and 435 for Dory. :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The ceiling for Captain Underpants has to be like 150 and the ceiling for Cars 3 has to be 250 (200 might even be more accurate). That's it for animation for the summer. DM3 could easily hit 400 if it's well liked. We already know it will be well marketed, that's for sure. But then again Ethan, I'm fairly certain it was you arguing that 250 or something was like the absolute ceiling for Minions right up until the bitter end last year. 

The lack of animated competition argument doesn't always work (see HtTYD2 )

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Not overly comparable. A sequel to a movie that made over 200M in midst of a year full of those vs. the fourth installment in a franchise that hit 300M+ twice already and is a pop culture and marketing phenomenom, especially with kids.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

That film is one of the greatest freak anomalies of box office history though. Hardly a good comparison. Especially since modern DWA has nothing over Illumination in terms of appeal. 325-350 is my current range for DM3, but I think it can go higher given marketing and reception. 

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

DM3 is decreasing from Minions. It'll benefit from the lack of family options but July has a Disney fairytale and Ferdinand so it won't have the market all to itself. 

Yes, but those are a full month later (and I can't see a Blue Sky film posing much of a threat). It will have made the bulk of its money by then regardless of how big those two are or aren't. Cars 3 is its only real competitor, and I have to believe it will be a weak one. 

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Not overly comparable. A sequel to a movie that made over 200M in midst of a year full of those vs. the fourth installment in a franchise that hit 300M+ twice already and is a pop culture and marketing phenomenom, especially with kids.

It's obviously past its peaked though. Maybe it does a bit past 300M. But reaching DM 2 is impossible

Seeing as we're talking future animated films. I had the trailer for Illumination's Sing when I went to see Secret Life of Pets last weekend. Boy did that look sub-standard for them! Animation wise it looks a massive step down by their standards 

Edited by wildphantom

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It's obviously past its peaked though. Maybe it does a bit past 300M. But reaching DM 2 is impossible

I would agree it's decreasing for sure if not for the weak competition and the masterminds over at Illumination's marketing team. If any team can create a whirlwind of hype for a movie, it's them. Give it like a 20-25% chance of increasing over DM2

11 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Nah, not impossible. Minions did it, and ticket prices are slightly higher now.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

This is for domestic, WW it has a somewhat good chance at increasing.

Oh shit, I forgot that Minions declined from the last Gru movie in the domestic market.

Edited by cannastop