WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

How do you botch it this badly after 20 years? I mean, what were they waiting for all this time, if they get it this wrong when they finally go for it?

I've been reading some reviews and they're just mind boggingly bad. I have more faith in Sony's upcoming slate than Fox's, with the way they've been doing things this year (Deadpool was obviously an anomaly, and one that was made in spite of the studio and not because of it).

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 2

Damn they really should have paid Smith. ID4 only needed to show a little light hearted comic seen with Smith and Goldblum and it would have been more nostalgic than the rest of the marketing they've done. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Careful what you joke about Baumer, it might come true. ;)

If Ghostbusters has a 4X I'll eat a shoe.  It has a better chance of doing a 2X than 4.

• Like 5

Just now, JennaJ said:

How do you botch it this badly after 20 years? I mean, what were they waiting for all this time, if they get it this wrong when they finally went for it?

I've been reading some reviews and they're just mind boggingly bad. I have more faith in Sony's upcoming slate than Fox's, with the way they've been doing thing this year (Deadpool was obviously an anomaly, and one that was made in spite of the studio and not because of it).

I refuse to give Fox credit for Deadpool. That was all Tim Miller, Ryan Reynolds, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick. We all saw Fox's version of Deadpool. Fox was so stingy, that the reason why Deadpool had that 12 bullet scene was because there was no money to have any other explosives and stuff used. Mrs. Deadpool spilling all the details on her promo tour. 

• Like 8

Would be just lovely to see just about anything get a 4x multi this summer. I want to at least know it can still happen!

It is very hard for movies to hit a 4x multi these days since movies have become so frontloaded in recent years, typically only animated family movies can reliably do that.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Fox should just let Deadpool market the rest of their films. Heck you wanna save ID:R? Just take it off the screen and have Ryan Reynolds do a bunch of spontaneous Deadpool videos. I mean that erectile dysfunction commercial that Deadpool did was better than ID:R. :popcorn:

That's really an interesting concept.  Having Deadpool market a film for the same studio would be brilliant.  I'd be totally down with that.

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Lol. Fox can't make a great summer tentpole to save their lives. 2014 was an abberation. Hopefully, next year, kingsman 2 and War of the planet of the apes will be great. But I won't be shocked if both underperform at the boxoffice because of fox's marketing. Worst big studio.

Sony is the worst. lol

Just now, Mojoguy said:

It is very hard for movies to hit a 4x multi these days since movies have become so frontloaded in recent years, typically only animated family movies can reliably do that.

I think it's more to do with the fact most blockbusters nowadays are either a sequel or based on something.  we still get original blockbusters with good wom crack this. Look at gravity, Martian, interstellar, inception

Okay maybe only Sci fi movie can do it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I refuse to give Fox credit for Deadpool. That was all Tim Miller, Ryan Reynolds, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick. We all saw Fox's version of Deadpool. Fox was so stingy, that the reason why Deadpool had that 12 bullet scene was because there was no money to have any other explosives and stuff used. Mrs. Deadpool spilling all the details on her promo tour. 

Great post.  Fox actually had nothing to do with Deadpool's success.  It took them 11 years to green light it for pete sake.  And you are right, it was all the people you mentioned that got it made.

• Like 2

I just meant legs are pretty important too beyond OW even in this front-loaded environment. I don't know whether BvS "should" have made 1.2, 1.3 or 1.5B. Given its OD and OW, it seems it did not live up its potential. But, I wonder whether lucky, serendipity, and lightning in a bottle are involved in hitting the 1.5B mark.

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

That's really an interesting concept.  Having Deadpool market a film for the same studio would be brilliant.  I'd be totally down with that.

I mean at this point, it wouldn't hurt. Its not like their movies are smashing records. My biggest fear is that they're going to be too involved for Deadpool 2 and just ruin it. Thats how I feel about Fox. 

• Like 2