baumer

Wed #s RTH (10.3 Dory -30%| IDR 3.4 -32%)

5 minutes ago, department store basement said:

That's more because Zootopia had such an amazing shelf life while Alice is having the same run as most other movies.

No, it is not normal to have fewer than 200 theaters on a 6th weekend.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Lol at Alice 2 and Zootopia having almost the same amount of theaters. What a fiasco.

Well that's because one movie was good and the other not so much......I think we can figure out which belongs to which category. ;)

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Central Intelligence is having a nice run.  Jumped huge yesterday and fell very softly today.

It's performing quite similar to Spy last year. It's multiplier in the end will likely be in the same area.

• Like 3

Is it too much to hope that Independence Day completely fizzles this weekend so we can have two $300M+ movies spawning sub-$100M sequels in the same year?

Man, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 got so lucky that everyone expected it to epically fall off.

26 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Alice 2 is having roughly the same theater-count run as Money Monster, Neighbors 2, and Nice Guys. It's a mid-level run that's only disappointing when it's a sequel to a 300m film.

It has a $170M budget. The performance is certainly disappointing.

• Like 2

Alice is going to be one of the biggest disappointments this year, but certainly not the only one.  

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Is it too much to hope that Independence Day completely fizzles this weekend so we can have two $300M+ movies spawning sub-$100M sequels in the same year?

Man, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 got so lucky that everyone expected it to epically fall off.

That and it's PROFITABLE since it has an $18m budget and made about $90m ww.  :lol:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Alice is going to be one of the biggest disappointments this year, but certainly not the only one.  

I knew domestically it was gonna tank, but OS is kind of a shocker. Guess Disney can't win em all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

No. It could go as low as $14 million for the 4-day. 

Any 4-day under $20 million pretty much locks sub-$100 million with its toxic WOM. Should get 60%+ drops for its entire run

Edited by mahnamahna

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Remember when some dude said that X-Men Apocalypse had a problem, and its name was Alice Through the Looking Glass?

Like, Apoc didn't light the world on fire, but jeez.

• Like 2

Just now, Baumer said:

Looking at what IDR will probably do on Thursday, it really might do 15-16 mill for the 3 day.

Do you really think it'll drop that low? I personally think the three releases from last week are going to see significant drops for this weekend based on their weekly numbers this week. 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Do you really think it'll drop that low? I personally think the three releases from last week are going to see significant drops for this weekend based on their weekly numbers this week. 

You think Shallows is not having good week day numbers?  It just had a really good Wednesday drop.

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

You think Shallows is not having good week day numbers?  It just had a really good Wednesday drop.

I don't know what The Shallows is having to be honest. If I'm comparing it to the Conjuring 2 which I don't know if I should, it's doing better than it at the moment in terms of drops. However I really think The Purge is going to have a big effect on its box office this weekend. 

Edited by Nova

The Purge is listed as straight up horror and it's Rated R.  Shallows is pg13.  So it might be hit by Purge a little but it's also getting good WOM so I think is going to kick in this weekend.  I think t this point a 50 million dollar finish would be nice for Shallows.  But going back to look at Purge 2's demographics, they might over lap with Shallows:

Studio research showed that the audience was 52% female but what was more critical was that a very high 61% was under 25. Teens and younger adults do not come out to the multiplexes as often as they always have in the past. The mobile device is the new multiplex for this generation. So it is rare today for any film to see that high of a share of its audience be from this younger age demo. Anarchy's audience was also ethnically diverse. Latinos led the way with 36% of the crowd and non-whites in general were 71%. The CinemaScore grade was a B which is pretty decent for this genre. Its predecessor earned a C and plummeted 76% in the second weekend.

As for Shallows:  

Blake Lively scored a commercial hit, and proved her box office pull, with the shark attack thriller The Shallows which exceeded expectations to open to an estimated $16.7M in fourth. Averaging a solid $5,638 from 2,962 locations, the PG-13 pic was powered by young women and served as fresh content in a marketplace filled with recycled brands. Sony's well-reviewed one-woman survival story played to an audience that was 54% female and 50% under 25. With a production cost of only $17M,Shallows will end up as one of the more profitable titles of the summer.

But I think it will be fine this weekend.

6 minutes ago, Baumer said:

The Purge is listed as straight up horror and it's Rated R.  Shallows is pg13.  So it might be hit by Purge a little but it's also getting good WOM so I think is going to kick in this weekend.  I think t this point a 50 million dollar finish would be nice for Shallows.  But going back to look at Purge 2's demographics, they might over lap with Shallows:

Studio research showed that the audience was 52% female but what was more critical was that a very high 61% was under 25. Teens and younger adults do not come out to the multiplexes as often as they always have in the past. The mobile device is the new multiplex for this generation. So it is rare today for any film to see that high of a share of its audience be from this younger age demo. Anarchy's audience was also ethnically diverse. Latinos led the way with 36% of the crowd and non-whites in general were 71%. The CinemaScore grade was a B which is pretty decent for this genre. Its predecessor earned a C and plummeted 76% in the second weekend.

As for Shallows:  

Blake Lively scored a commercial hit, and proved her box office pull, with the shark attack thriller The Shallows which exceeded expectations to open to an estimated $16.7M in fourth. Averaging a solid $5,638 from 2,962 locations, the PG-13 pic was powered by young women and served as fresh content in a marketplace filled with recycled brands. Sony's well-reviewed one-woman survival story played to an audience that was 54% female and 50% under 25. With a production cost of only $17M,Shallows will end up as one of the more profitable titles of the summer.

But I think it will be fine this weekend.

Okay so the age thing is the issue however I think the actual demographics (race) are different. We shall see. I'm hoping it can get to $50M as well and I think this weekend will play an important role in that. 

• Like 1