Nova

Tuesday: Suicide Squad $14.27M

15 minutes ago, The Panda said:

And they are also consumers. 

Plus, they are paid to give an opinion on whether a movie is worth the consumers money and time to see.  They are speaking for the consumers benefit.

Which has nothing to do with how much money the film has made,.  Critics can give their opinion but so far it doesn't seem to mean shit.  

1 minute ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Which has nothing to do with how much money the film has made,.  Critics can give their opinion but so far it doesn't seem to mean shit.  

Baumer, some people just don't understand.  

Im glad you get it.  

17 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

It didn't for the Transformers franchise and Twilight series either.

I don't read reviews anymore but when I did it was just a few guys that I generally agreed with on certain types of movies. So a site like RT where it's 300 people from all different backgrounds, some with knowledge of film, some not, some giving passing grades to what I consider crap and some being overly harsh.. it's just too much.  It doesn't do anything for me. I don't know who most of them are so the opinions are just not going to hold much weight for me.

Millions of people watch movies, 300 people is such a small sample size it's not even worth it to find out who they are.

Edited by Johnny Tran

I always read reviews regardless of whether I agree with them or not. I never took them personally or thought they should give passing or failing grades to movies I liked or disliked. However with Suicide Squad, I chose not to see this movie because frankly I didn't like how some of the actors reacted and responded the critics giving their movie a failing grade. Furthermore, after being thoroughly disappointed by the last two DCEU movies before Suicide Squad, I figure it would be best to wait for Redbox. It'll be much cheaper.

1 hour ago, iJackSparrow said:

I love Mark Waid, but he's all sorts of wrong in the Avengers right now, and it's incredible how his talents are going to waste. I think he can find his feet with Champions, but I just keep thinking on and on how amazing it would be if he was writing Superman instead.

I have to humbly disagree for Superman, but just my opinion. I think Waid LOVES the character, and Waid is one of the best DC writers of all time. For some reason though, his Superman has never really connected with me. Just about all of his other DC characters have, and I can maybe imagine his Superman being similar to his amazing Captain America, but what I've seen so far wasn't that great. That said, maybe he was being held back, because in such occasions he's either written Elseworld or non main-book Superman. If he can pull of Superman stories akin to his favorite versions of the character (i.e. Morrison's version), then it'd be the best super-hero comic on the market. Btw, also check out Waid's Legion run. Imo, it's even more fun and creative than DnA's.

Edit: oops, sorry. No more comic talk.

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

I chose not to see this movie because frankly I didn't like how some of the actors reacted and responded the critics giving their movie a failing grade.

They were asked about the reviews and said they disagreed with them and fans can make up their own mind. What else were they supposed to say?

4 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

They were asked about the reviews and said they disagreed with them and fans can make up their own mind. What else were they supposed to say?

If that's all they said, I would have already seen the movie but they didn't.

1 hour ago, Haley Ross said:

It didn't for the Transformers franchise and Twilight series either.

Nor did it seem to matter for Nice Guys, Legend of Tarzan, Ghostbusters, or Star Trek Beyond. It also doesn't matter for the hundreds of limited release films. It amazes me that one would conclude that the totality of a franchise is bad just based on the contributions of one director. Suicide Squad's writer and director had nothing in common w/ the two previous DCEU films. One could better judge his work by actually looking at his previous work, rather than the universe he chose to do a movie about. Upcoming directors include Jenkins and Wan, who are very different from Snyder and Ayer as well. If you're going to judge their future work based on BvS, then you're not really interested in the product of the artist, but rather you are just disinterested in his subject matter. That's cool. Most of the people who watched Transformers and Twilight probably did the same thing.

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Nor did it seem to matter for Nice Guys, Legend of Tarzan, Ghostbusters, or Star Trek Beyond. It also doesn't matter for the hundreds of limited release films. It amazes me that one would conclude that the totality of a franchise is bad just based on the contributions of one director. Suicide Squad's writer and director had nothing in common w/ the two previous DCEU films. One could better judge his work by actually looking at his previous work, rather than the universe he chose to do a movie about. Upcoming directors include Jenkins and Wan, who are very different from Snyder and Ayer as well. If you're going to judge their future work based on BvS, then you're not really interested in the product of the artist, but rather you are just disinterested in his subject matter. That's cool. Most of the people who watched Transformers and Twilight probably did the same thing.

You my good friend...

Thats a good head on your shoulders.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

At the moment, it seems the DCEU has more in common with the Transformers and Twilight franchises as far as making big bucks in spite of negative reviews go and in terms of reputation. Their problems go much beyond the contributions of one director. I think Suicide Squad proved that. That being said, I thought I made it very clear that am going to see Suicide Squad. I'm just not going to do so at the movies. I think I can judge the movie just as well from my own home and save a few bucks while I'm at it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

At the moment, it seems the DCEU has more in common with the Transformers and Twilight franchises as far as making big bucks in spite of negative reviews go and in terms of reputation. Their problems go much beyond the contributions of one director. I think Suicide Squad proved that. That being said, I thought I made it very clear that am going to see Suicide Squad. I'm just not going to do so at the movies. I think I can judge the movie just as well from my own home and save a few bucks while I'm at it. 

I absolutely respect that, but Suicide Squad, whether you like it or night, is still Ayer's film, and he owns both the good and the bad. These directors, writers, producers, and this studio in particular are not absent good work. The studio's history consists of 20 something Academy Awards for best picture. The same producer was behind both The Dark Knight and American Hustle. The writer of BvS won an Academy Award for his screenplay for Argo. And each director has received some acclaim or success in the past. The group is both diverse and talented. They've yet to produce a movie with an RT score in the red. They've yet to create a movie that makes less than 250 million. You may say that's a Transformer's Franchise, but unlike Transformers, there hasn't been a singular director, and that isn't how it will work. So far, both the studio and the directors have stated the movies will be allowed to be their own thing, based on the desires of the director. I'm willing to consider they're telling the truth. That said, one movie can be very different from the previous, which some, and apparently more than some based on box office receipts, will find this refreshing.

Personally, I think Ayer is a far superior writer/director than Snyder. I thought Suicide Squad was worse than the previous two films. I can't fully explain that phenomenon, but it confirms for me that artists, stories, characters, studios, et all are not simply static things that never grow or change. Instead, the beauty of this industry, is that its organic, unpredictable, and therein lies its power to capture the hearts and minds of millions.

Edited by UrosepsisFace

I think Suicide Squad will be one of those movies people appreciate more over time like Batman Returns.

When it first came out people had a knee jerk reaction. Too weird but after a while people grew to appreciate its unique kick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haley Ross said:

The main difference is that every DCEU movie fails and succeeds in a very distinct way. 

Which means we have to stay on our toes just in case it touches a nerve.

1 minute ago, jb007 said:

I have a crude system that has been doing ok this week. Based on that, Suicide Squad will make about 8.73 to 9.31 on Wednesday. 

I want to see whether my crude system works or is a big bust. :mellow:

That sounds like an unusually big Wednesday drop. What are you basing that on?

Just now, cannastop said:

That sounds like an unusually big Wednesday drop. What are you basing that on?

Based on the sales on MT for SS and JB. The sales ratio has held well for Monday and Tuesday between the two. I had to assume a drop range for Jason Bourne to predict Suicide Squad.

Again, this is very crude. The ratio did not work with SS and Bad Moms.