WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Eh, I still think another one can happen; budget's going to be heavily reduced though.

According to Deadline, which I don't think is fully accurate to begin with, Into Darkness barely made any money either and Star Trek Beyond was still given the go-ahead. Simply, Paramount doesn't have the most options, and even though they can't get too much more critically successful with the Star Trek franchise, as with anything, there's still room for improvement in other departments such as marketing. I believe this franchise will live on, surely!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I wouldn't say he casually bullshitted the budget for kicks. He probably said that because that's what he thought the budget was (without actually knowing) and because he didn't want to seem like he doesn't know things like that. People hate admitting they don't know shit.

Fair enough as Ike said he thought the budget was north of $250 million, but then comes the THR article. I don't dismiss the article because again, I don't think the THR article reported that information just for kicks. McWeeny was basically crucified for just suggesting there were problems with the Batman v Superman movie (only to be proved right later on), and I knew for a fact about SS having it's screenwriting rushed and even Batman v Superman having huge editing problems at least two months before Batman v Superman was released in theaters. The source I got that information from wouldn't at have been trusted here in spite of it being proven quite accurate later.

6 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

According to Deadline, which I don't think is fully accurate to begin with, Into Darkness barely made any money either and Star Trek Beyond was still given the go-ahead. Simply, Paramount doesn't have the most options, and even though they can't get too much more critically successful with the Star Trek franchise, as with anything, there's still room for improvement in other departments such as marketing. I believe this franchise will live on, surely!

If all else fails... ANOTHER reboot! 

• Like 1

Saw an article from Variety about Ben-Hur bombing because it doesn't have a movie star

As if there are more than 5ish actors who could've saved it, lol. And none of them woulda touched a Ben-Hur remake with a 50 foot pole

• Community Manager
15 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

Maybe not important but the actors have already negotiated significant raises to their salaries for any fourth movie.

Sure, it could happen, but that was sort of my point - Star Trek Beyond is what a franchise-threatening movie looks like. Suicide Squad is a franchise-creating movie.

We'll have to see but Beyond has sold better than Insurrection, The Final Frontier, and Nemesis if you go by the silly adjusted list. If you don't, it's the third highest grossing Star Trek movie.

The real question is whether or not Beyond will be a big moneymaker outside of theaters and I think it will.

• Like 3

Just now, WilliamK99 said:

And here I thought this Marvel vs DC BS would be done with after the admins cracked down hard earlier this week....

lol, it'll never be done

Too many single-issue posters

• Community Manager
Just now, tribefan695 said:

Well, you should

The marketing didn't sell me on the movie and while it has fantastic reviews, the idea of sitting in theaters with other children right now after they almost ruined Pete's Dragon for me and my bad experience with Inside Out, I'm going to sit it out like I sat out Finding Dory and Secret Life of Pets.

• Like 1

Luckily with Movie Pass I can splurge and see movies I never normally would pay for, saw Kubo last night and it was pretty good, well worth my time, shame Box office isn't reflecting it. Unfortunately seeing Ben Hur with my wife tonight, my guess is the poor BO is an accurate reflection of the movie itself...

The marketing didn't sell me on the movie and while it has fantastic reviews, the idea of sitting in theaters with other children right now after they almost ruined Pete's Dragon for me and my bad experience with Inside Out, I'm going to sit it out like I sat out Finding Dory and Secret Life of Pets.

Well, sadly I don't think you'll have to worry about that so much here

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, tribefan695 said:

Well, sadly I don't think you'll have to worry about that so much here

Actually Hell or High Water is playing at the Grove so I'm just going to see that. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

We'll have to see but Beyond has sold better than Insurrection, The Final Frontier, and Nemesis if you go by the silly adjusted list. If you don't, it's the third highest grossing Star Trek movie.

The real question is whether or not Beyond will be a big moneymaker outside of theaters and I think it will.

Maybe it's sold better than The Final Frontier, but Star Trek V nearly doubled its budget in domestic gross while Beyond won't even match it. For a similar fiasco you'll have to go back to Star Trek Nemesis which killed the Star Trek TNG movie franchise.

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

Maybe it's sold better than The Final Frontier, but Star Trek V nearly doubled its budget in domestic gross while Beyond won't even match it. For a similar fiasco you'll have to go back to Star Trek Nemesis which killed the Star Trek TNG movie franchise.

WW Beyond is doing way better than Nemesis did: while the domestic gross might not match the budget, with WW it has surpassed it. The market has changed since Nemesis.

• Like 1

Star Trek Nemesis also surpassed its budget with its global box office. However, yes, it did worse, but it's the only Star Trek film that did notably worse than where STB seems to be landing, and the only other Star Trek film that didn't match its budget in domestic gross.

Edited by Kathemy
ETA
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

Star Trek Nemesis also surpassed its budget with its global box office.

By like what $7 million? Beyond has passed it by way more than that.

STAR TREK is on 72M OS right now according to BOM. What's the final OS looking at approx?

DOM could end up at ~160M. If it makes 200M OS, it will do 360M WW (185 prod budget * 2).

Considering it's only on 72M OS after so many days of release, 150M OS+ doesn't look likely does it.

Edited by a2knet

17 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Look.....

Let's make this shorter. You don't like what I'm saying because it suggests that Suicide Squad can possibly be a failure financially as well as critically. If I was talking Star Trek Beyond, I doubt I would get your notice let alone your multiple replies. I'm following this movie because I'm intrigued by the reports regarding the budget plus of the BTS issues. I would talk more about the latter however this is a box office forum. At the end of the day, all I'm saying is that it's possible. You keep having this train of thought that the studio wouldn't be so stupid but the U.S. housing crisis was by a great deal caused by the very stupidity you think is impossible. If an actor from Wonder Woman says the movie has a $300 million budget and if Variety says the same thing or something to corroborates what that actor said, then yes I'm going to think it's possible and won't stop saying so regardless of what you or anyone else labels me. If they don't like most other movies and the news about the budget is consistent then I won't say a thing.

• Like 1