WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

32 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Both Laika and Aardman are in the position where they don't need big box office to make money and in the case of Laika, it's an endeavour by Phil and Travis Knight who are wealthy enough to fund these films and Focus Features and Universal clearly are happy with them as they've partnered on the next two Laika films. 

In the case of Aardman, the money comes from television commercials and TV shows like Shaun the Sheep plus the backcatalogue of shorts like Morph and Wallace and Gromit and the films. They've realised that they're never going to break out in America hence why they have Studiocanal, a European film studio to distribute their films and  Shaun the Sheep Movie while not a huge hit made a nice profit with $106m WW on a $25m budget. 

Yeah, I aware of that. I actually think Aardman could do a bit better domestically then they are, like say 16m or so opening weekend, but at this point, it's a bit unlikely to happen.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

Just now, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Yeah, I aware of that. I actually think Aardman could do better domestically, like say 16m or so opening weekend, but at this point, it's a bit unlikely to happen.

Aardman need a better distributor in the USA who can market their films better, Sony barely promoted Pirates! and same with Lionsgate and Shaun the Sheep. Maybe Focus/Universal could distribute Early Man for Aardman and use Eddie Redmayne as their selling point. 

I'm still hoping The Cat Burglars which Aardman have developing for a long time comes into fruition, the premise is that it is a heist movie like Ocean's Eleven with cats similar to how Chicken Run was The Great Escape with chickens. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Aardman need a better distributor in the USA who can market their films better, Sony barely promoted Pirates! and same with Lionsgate and Shaun the Sheep. Maybe Focus/Universal could distribute Early Man for Aardman and use Eddie Redmayne as their selling point. 

I'm still hoping The Cat Burglars which Aardman have developing for a long time comes into fruition, the premise is that it is a heist movie like Ocean's Eleven with cats similar to how Chicken Run was The Great Escape with chickens. 

Sounds really interesting. Knowing Aardman it'll probably be quite clever. I actually hope it gets made.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The smell of a 100M movie opening with 8-9M. Incredible.

9 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Someone said they should have opened it around Christmas or 2 weeks before. Don't know how that would have helped.

I thought when it was released, Gods of Egypt could have had a single digit opening weekend, but it fell mostly in line with projections at the time.  Ben-Hur appears it will do worse on opening weekend.  In Gods of Egypt case, I think it was Lionsgate's international partners, not Lionsgate itself, that took most of the loss on that.  Would this be a bigger loss for Paramount in comparison, despite the smaller budget (100M for Ben-Hur vs. 140M for Gods of Egypt)?

2 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

I thought when it was released, Gods of Egypt could have had a single digit opening weekend, but it fell mostly in line with projections at the time.  Ben-Hur appears it will do worse on opening weekend.  In Gods of Egypt case, I think it was Lionsgate's international partners, not Lionsgate itself, that took most of the loss on that.  Would this be a bigger loss for Paramount in comparison, despite the smaller budget (100M for Ben-Hur vs. 140M for Gods of Egypt)?

I don't think this is being released by Paramount in most OS markets. 

3 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

I think the cost is being split being Paramount and MGM with Paramount distributing and P&A but both studios are going to lose out either way

My audience at Pete's Dragon was probably the worst I've ever had. Kids chattering the whole movie with constant shushes that they ignored. Good movie but damn feels really hard to judge it with that shit going on

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Paramount's had a disastrous few years and needs to rethink everything it's doing

They already did. Their answer was TFCU.

Spoiler

RIP Paramount. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blankments said:

My audience at Pete's Dragon was probably the worst I've ever had. Kids chattering the whole movie with constant shushes that they ignored. Good movie but damn feels really hard to judge it with that shit going on

Pete's Dragon is near perfect family entertainment shut your whore mouth. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

So we are back to that time where there is no point in staying awake waiting for new updates. Nothing is gonna happen. M7 and Storks need to come fast. 

Can't wait until everyone goes crazy with those Magnificent Seven predictions and gets avatars and names to match. Say hello to Ethan Hawke Hunt!

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Give a loud "SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!" and they'll never say a peep again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Can't wait until everyone goes crazy with those Magnificent Seven predictions and gets avatars and names to match. Say hello to Ethan Hawke Hunt!

CJ Bennett is coming (I will change my surname for her). 

• Like 1