WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

8 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Budgets are not exactly casually thrown around. Even people who think they know budgets don't know the budgets. A lot of times, people (who don't fully know) will toss around a figure not as a literal figure, but just something generally equating "expensive". I'm hardly some deep insider, but I work enough in the industry to know how things work. Heck, I work on shows where I'm waaaaay more connected to the show than some supporting actor, and I don't know the budget (beyond a vague guess). My producer sometimes isn't even given the budget for his department, because it's managed at a higher level. These sorts of numbers are not given out lightly. No one would "leak" a number to an actor, let alone a supporting actor.

I understand all of that. I'm not saying that Ike can't be wrong or a liar. I'm saying making blanket statements about actors in general isn't proof that he is wrong.

9 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

It's a "fact" that according to Batman News, Barinholtz disclosed that the budget for the film was estimated to amount upwards of $250 million. It's a "rumor" that the budget was $250 million.

True and I'm corrobating that with the THR article that said the movie needed between $750 and $800 million to break even. For the movie to need that much to break even, the budget most likely had to be $250 million.

1 hour ago, Haley Ross said:

That doesn't make Ike wrong or a liar. In fact, he doesn't even need a clue about budgets if he was informed of the budget by someone who does. Beyond that, how would you know to make such a blanket statement?

Really? I.....I.....There's just so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin.

Isn't that what you're doing? Insisting on using whatever source helps paint your narrative? First you guys try dismissing the rumors of $800 million to break even saying that it was fanboys who made it up when it actually came from THR and Ike on Howard Stern last year. Then you guys try saying what Ike said was a rumor when it was a fact, then I say it's possible that it may need $800 million to break even and then you bring up Mark Hughes as an absolute when he is no more a WB executive than I am. Please don't tell me to use common sense when you can get behind such a ridiculous general statement as "actors don't have a clue about budgets." As if that would be the only possible reason he could know that. I'll keep saying it until you start paying attention, I think that if the budget is $175 million, then it is easily a financial success. You keep missing that. However if the budget is $250 million and does need $800 million to break even, then it is a disaster. I don't know how much more simple I can make it.

And I'll make this as simple as possible.

You have no idea what you are talking about. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

I understand all of that. I'm not saying that Ike can't be wrong or a liar. I'm saying making blanket statements about actors in general isn't proof that he is wrong.

So at the time he revealed this information, his part was "so secret" he couldn't even reveal who he was playing (which ended up being a minor character at best), yet he was given information and allowed to publicly announce on a national SiriusXM show that the budget was "north of 250m"? The industry doesn't operate like this. I don't know why you're holding on to this specific piece of information as being likely when everything else points to it being a pile of bullshit.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

So at the time he revealed this information, his part was "so secret" he couldn't even reveal who he was playing (which ended up being a minor character at best), yet he was given information and allowed to publicly announce on a national SiriusXM show that the budget was "north of 250m"? The industry doesn't operate like this. I don't know why you're holding on to this specific piece of information as being likely when everything else points to it being a pile of bullshit.

So Ike's telling the truth about the makeshift tattoo parlor, Leto's behavior on set as the Joker, even Will Smith says he never met Leto just the persona of the character that he was playing and then  casually bullshits about the budget for kicks? And everything else doesn't point to it being bullshit when months later, the Hollywood Reporter reports the movie needs to make $750 million, $800 just to break even and that the studio will take it as win if it gets anywhere near that. Yes, he's given a directive not to disclose his role but it's already in the trailer as a SWAT team officer so technically they already knew. 

• Community Manager
Just now, Haley Ross said:

So Ike's telling the truth about the makeshift tattoo parlor, Leto's behavior on set as the Joker, even Will Smith says he never met Leto just the persona of the character that he was playing and then  casually bullshits about the budget for kicks? And everything else doesn't point to it being bullshit when months later, the Hollywood Reporter reports the movie needs to make $750 million, $800 just to break even and that the studio will take it as win if it gets anywhere near that. Yes, he's given a directive not to disclose his role but it's already in the trailer as a SWAT team officer so technically they already knew. 

I wouldn't say he casually bullshitted the budget for kicks. He probably said that because that's what he thought the budget was (without actually knowing) and because he didn't want to seem like he doesn't know things like that. People hate admitting they don't know shit.

Isn't that what you're doing? Insisting on using whatever source helps paint your narrative? First you guys try dismissing the rumors of $800 million to break even saying that it was fanboys who made it up when it actually came from THR and Ike on Howard Stern last year. Then you guys try saying what Ike said was a rumor when it was a fact, then I say it's possible that it may need $800 million to break even and then you bring up Mark Hughes as an absolute when he is no more a WB executive than I am. Please don't tell me to use common sense when you can get behind such a ridiculous general statement as "actors don't have a clue about budgets." As if that would be the only possible reason he could know that. I'll keep saying it until you start paying attention, I think that if the budget is $175 million, then it is easily a financial success. You keep missing that. However if the budget is $250 million and does need $800 million to break even, then it is a disaster. I don't know how much more simple I can make it.

Look, you are against the DC movies. Just come out and say it. You don't need reason to fuel your agenda. You don't seem to follow any other movie, otherwise you would understand this "common sense" I keep telling you about. There are a bunch of things such as "he said" and "she said", but what it boils down to is this, tentpole movies have high budgets. They always have. They keep getting made. Why? There's a lot to figure into all this that you don't even see. Mark Hughes is privileged to see some of those numbers and hence the conclusion that having to make over 700 million is false. Part of it is "Hollywood accounting" which is basically just fudging the books and paying oneself when it comes to making some of these movies. Whatever the case, the bottom line is this, if a studio keeps making more of these movies and throwing money at it, maybe they're on to something. Going by your train of thought, every studio, including Disney should be out of business. Just accept that you do not know everything, and neither does Ike. I don't know anything either, other than the fact that more DC movies will be continued to be made, and if you're still here next year, you're already armed with Wonder Woman having a 300m budget according to Said Taghmauoi. Then, next year, you'll be scratching your head as another failed DCEU gets promoted, and yet another one is green lit. Apparently, this exceptional studio is being funded by DC fanatics with very deep pockets. Like I said, you can't trust my information, or Mark Hughes, or Ike, or THR. What you can trust is your own eyes when yet another movie is produced and promoted from this line.  It's really just that simple. However, if you're right, then you can just relax and rest assured that what you detest cannot last, and all the people who dared think it is a success will eventually be proven wrong. hopefully when that happens, you will have a sense of joy in your accomplishment. I hope you find peace.

• Like 6

If people want to look at a box office "disaster", they don't need to look further than Star Trek Beyond. Now that's a disaster where the movie is underperforming so badly it will probably lead to no sequel being made. Shame, too, it was the best of the reboot films for me.

Just now, Kathemy said:

If people want to look at a box office "disaster", they don't need to look further than Star Trek Beyond. Now that's a disaster where the movie is underperforming so badly it will probably lead to no sequel being made. Shame, too, it was the best of the reboot films for me.

Eh, I still think another one can happen; budget's going to be heavily reduced though.

• Like 1

Rule of thumb: consider every studio fudges, so relatively, whatever numbers we see in terms of budget and money made at the box office, just accept it as truth, because at least relatively...IT IS!

For a forum based on the mindset of comparing numbers from one move to the next, this should be the least foreign of concepts! This is what the forum is predicated on!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Eh, I still think another one can happen; budget's going to be heavily reduced though.

Maybe not important but the actors have already negotiated significant raises to their salaries for any fourth movie.

Sure, it could happen, but that was sort of my point - Star Trek Beyond is what a franchise-threatening movie looks like. Suicide Squad is a franchise-creating movie.

• Like 1