cannastop

Zootopia 2 | November 26, 2025

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/02/zootopia-disney-sequel

Zootopia directors talk sequel, TV potential

“So much of the time spent on Zootopia was inventing it,” says Moore. “What does it look like? How does it work? And it would be great to go back to it and explore farther, more of it, rather than being theoretical and having to invent it [again].”

Howard offers a specific example: “There’s a part in the film where the train goes by Sahara Square and Hopps looks up at this huge palm tree hotel, and that palm tree hotel, we really designed to the nines,” he says. “We designed the lobby, the interior, and [Shakira’s character] Gazelle at one point had a suite at the top. It was this super luxury Dubai-esque place, which would be an awesome setting in the future.”

Also:

Q3 FY16 Earnings Conference Call, page 29:

Bob Iger: And then of course we have recently with Zootopia had some real success at Disney Animation, which gives us a new franchise to mine.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

Just now, Arlborn said:

When do you think they'll schedule this for?

Well, it's not confirmed yet, of course.

My best guess is that Zootopia's sequel will be released in November 2021, mainly because Disney's schedule up to 2020 is quite full. Also, it gives everyone involved plenty of time to think about the script.

2 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

A sequel NEEDS to happen, and so many unanswered questions, I'm mostly interested in the reason why Reptilians aren't in the first movie.

Or birds & primates.

You think since Zootopia has lot's of mammals in the movie.....and they didn't put monkey/apes in the first one.

2 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

A sequel NEEDS to happen, and so many unanswered questions, I'm mostly interested in the reason why Reptilians aren't in the first movie.

7 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Or birds & primates.

You think since Zootopia has lot's of mammals in the movie.....and they didn't put monkey/apes in the first one.

From http://www.zootopianewsnetwork.com/2016/06/more-q-from-byron-howard-and-rich-moore.html

Why are mammals the only animals left in Zootopia?

In this movie, we only show mammals but we are thinking that somewhere else in the world there are other reptiles and amphibians and birds. But since the movie was about predator and prey, we wanted to make sure that the audience understood very clearly who was predator and who was prey. And when you get into reptiles and birds and fish and stuff like that, it gets very confusing. So for this movie, we just showed mammals, but that isn’t to say that there aren’t other cities in the world or other places in the world that are full of reptiles and birds and amphibians

From http://thedisneyblog.com/2016/03/02/how-zootopia-was-made-talking-with-disneys-animation-team/

“Apes are too much like us, so as soon as we put them in the story, everyone goes, oh the ape is the smart one. And we wanted all these mammals to seem like more or less equal intelligence, more or less,” said Byron Howard.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Yeah, trying to put reptiles and birds into the sequel would veer too far into science fiction, in my opinion.

Anyways, Zootopia isn't actually about animals or zoology. It's about allegory, and it helps if you keep things relatively simple.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, cannastop said:

Well, it's not confirmed yet, of course.

My best guess is that Zootopia's sequel will be released in November 2021, mainly because Disney's schedule up to 2020 is quite full. Also, it gives everyone involved plenty of time to think about the script.

They bumped the whole schedule back with the Wreck-it-Ralph 2 announcement. They could very well do it again and cram Zootopia 2 into 2019/2020.

2 hours ago, cookie said:

They bumped the whole schedule back with the Wreck-it-Ralph 2 announcement. They could very well do it again and cram Zootopia 2 into 2019/2020.

I think that would only happen if Gigantic is cancelled. Frozen 2 and Stephen Anderson's WDAS project are presumptively in those spots. Keep in mind that Rich Moore might not be part of Zootopia's sequel if it comes out that soon.

Also, consider typical 5-and-a-half year gaps in Disney and Pixar. It's the space between Cars and Cars 2 and Wreck-It Ralph and its sequel.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

A mystery book series could be nice, especially if it veers slightly older than the Frozen "Sisterhood" series. (Which I've been collecting, but haven't read beyond the first. It's mostly because a friend of mine does the art.) It's a nice way to do "filler" stories that don't set any story or world precedent while still in keeping with the tone of the movie.

Something Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew-esque. "Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde in the Mystery of the ____"

Edited by DamienRoc

On 8/20/2016 at 9:51 PM, Morieris said:

Oh cool - & yeah I hope that's not the official art, it looks like Judy is far too chummy with this random car while she tickets it.

If you're concerned about the art, you can check out an early look on tumblr:

http://antonellodalena.tumblr.com/search/zootopia

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2016 at 0:16 PM, cookie said:

Now that I think about it, maybe they'll delay production on Stephen Anderson's movie and go with 2020 for Zootopia 2.

43 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Now that I think about it, maybe they'll delay production on Stephen Anderson's movie and go with 2020 for Zootopia 2.

I guess it's possible, but I don't think it's just a matter of resources or scheduling that means Zootopia 2 won't be until at least 2021. It seems WDAS likes to spend time developing their films, considering both the gaps between sequels and what we know about when development first started on a number of recent Disney releases. (Frozen in 2008, excluding prior attempts, Wreck-It Ralph in 2008, Zootopia in 2011. The exception seems to Big Hero 6, which was proposed in 2011, and development may not have started until 2012.)