kayumanggi

SNOW WHITE | 03.21.2025 | Disney

11 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

marketing not going well when you click on snow white trending on twitter and top account endwokeness with 1.5m followers are talking about it, and Rachel is tweeting out today about being kind

That's just Twitter now. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it opened low in Japan and legged out to 23M which is low. People here look at legs in a vacuum but it's the total that matters. For such a big market, that's low. AWOW didn't do well there either but it didn't need to cause it made billions everywhere else. Elemental legged it out to 48M and counting in SK so twice as much as TLM in Japan. Point being, it didn't have any significant market where it blew up, it was doing mediocre business due to low opening everywhere. I personally don't think that stunt casting could have shaved off more than 50M WW so there was never that much interest in TLM compared to BatB, Aladdin, TLK. Disney overestimated the deamnd for this IP. But because of stunt casting, people now think it lost 500M which is mathematically impossible yet perception persists. So it backfired. 

I would consider Emma Watson in BatB stunt casting, not so much Halle Bailey in TLM. Even if Disney’s mindset was that they would get “woke points” by making Ariel black, they could’ve easily cast someone like Zendaya. 

I think the big problem with TLM is that it may have come out a bit too late. The hype for Disney’s live action remakes peaked in 2019, and the original is over 30 years old at this point. As we’ve seen from Indiana Jones and Flash, 80s/early 90s nostalgia doesn’t seem to be as big as it was in the late 2010s. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it opened low in Japan and legged out to 23M which is low. People here look at legs in a vacuum but it's the total that matters. For such a big market, that's low. AWOW didn't do well there either but it didn't need to cause it made billions everywhere else. Elemental legged it out to 48M and counting in SK so twice as much as TLM in Japan. Point being, it didn't have any significant market where it blew up, it was doing mediocre business due to low opening everywhere. I personally don't think that stunt casting could have shaved off more than 50M WW so there was never that much interest in TLM compared to BatB, Aladdin, TLK. Disney overestimated the deamnd for this IP. But because of stunt casting, people now think it lost 500M which is mathematically impossible yet perception persists. So it backfired. 

so you are saying LM is as popular as Cinderella when on youtube LM is second to only Lion King among hand drawn animation? L - logic

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I would consider Emma Watson in BatB stunt casting, not so much Halle Bailey in TLM. Even if Disney’s mindset was that they would get “some points” by making Ariel black, they could’ve easily cast someone like Zendaya. 

I think the big problem with TLM is that it may have come out a bit too late. The hype for Disney’s live action remakes peaked in 2019, and the original is over 30 years old at this point. As we’ve seen from Indiana Jones and Flash, 80s/early 90s nostalgia doesn’t seem to be as big as it was in the late 2010s. 

I don't think that Zendaya would improve the boxoffice. She never headlined a movie save that Netflix flop with Denzel Jr. Never opened one. The Challengers will be her test. So very doubtful she'd have Emma Watson effect. Watson was fancast as Belle since Goblet of Fire. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't think that Zendaya would improve the boxoffice. She never headlined a movie save that Netflix flop with Denzel Jr. Never opened one. The Challengers will be her test. So very doubtful she'd have Emma Watson effect. Watson was fancast as Belle since Goblet of Fire. 

Zendaya is big among the Gen Z crowd, and has headlined a very popular show on HBO, on top of being known as Spider-Man’s girlfriend. We have no way of knowing how the box office would’ve fared if they got someone like her, but if their goal was stunt casting, she would’ve made more sense than Halle Bailey. 

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Sexism just jumping out of you

No. Actors are supposed to be promoting their movies. If you’re cringe and annoying as fuck to listen to, you’re not exactly doing that are you?

Go listen to Zegler roll her eyes and sarcastically quip that it’s not 1937 anymore and tell me ‘it’s just sexism preventing the masses from appreciating  her charisma’.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I love that the interview that’s been circulating on the internet and has everyone whining about is nearly a year old. People are just desperate to find things to be mad about.

Various clips are gaining a lot of traction on social media, especially TikTok right now, with mostly women chipping in. They feel that different types of ‘feminism’ are being pitted against each other, that choosing or wanting love is an entirely legitimate desire alongside being a ‘boss’. 

My personal opinion (yes, as a woman) is that the love presented in Snow White isn’t exactly that empowering or agentive. But I still stand by the fact that Zegler is a poor communicator and the conversationshouldn’t be so divisive  (or maybe as @Valonqar noted it’s done that way on purpose)

45 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Zendaya is big among the Gen Z crowd, and has headlined a very popular show on HBO, on top of being known as Spider-Man’s girlfriend. We have no way of knowing how the box office would’ve fared if they got someone like her, but if their goal was stunt casting, she would’ve made more sense than Halle Bailey. 

Again, being big on social media (a click away) and on a TV show (also no effort save subscription) is different from putting butts in seats. So until she puts them, it's just an assumption that following = drawing power. Awareness doesn't always mean interest. 

Not to mention that fans were fancasting Watson. No one was fancasting ZendAriel. 

@Redolent

They feel that different types of ‘feminism’ are being pitted against each other, that choosing or wanting love is an entirely legitimate desire alongside being a ‘boss’.

Yes this. The war on romance is ridiculous. Not every movie needs to have it but enough with narrative that it's some kind of regress while rebuke of romance is progress. It's what human beings do and therefore will never go out of fashion. 

Edited by Valonqar

31 minutes ago, Redolent said:

No. Actors are supposed to be promoting their movies. If you’re cringe and annoying as fuck to listen to, you’re not exactly doing that are you?

Go listen to Zegler roll her eyes and sarcastically quip that it’s not 1937 anymore and tell me ‘it’s just sexism preventing the masses from appreciating  her charisma’.

It's you being sexist that's sexism

• Sad 2
  • ...wtf 2

And yet no one cared about what Rachel Ziegler had to say for nearly a year because…?

People just like to be mad and get attention, and social media just feeds into it. And I’m sorry but @Valonqar’s “theory” is dumb as hell. These studios have more than enough money to promote and market their movies. They don’t need to rely on YouTube grifters to drum up awareness and support for their movies. That’s ridiculous.

5 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I'm not sure why we can reasonably say anything about the film. Marketing for TLM started 8-9 months prior to release (kicked off by that Disney's "D23 expo").  We're currently 7 months away from release and 30 days into the SAG strike. the strikes alone could explain why marketing has been delayed. 

Until we even know something as basic as "what is the affirmative marketing case they're making for the film as something special you should see in theaters" or "how are they going to respond to perceived weaknesses" I'm not sure what people can figure out about the film's prospects. 

You're right but I don't think that the strike is the reason for the lack of promotion on this one.

Despite what many try to claim, nobody expected TLM total gross to be as low as it turned out to be. Disney's heads themeslves were expecting something close to 1 Billion and hoping that it might somoehow even outgross Aladdin WW, so they went full-on with their PR machine on that one, had collabs with literally every big brand out there (from jewels, to make up, to clothing, they even sponsored the Gay Pride here in Rome with a branded float, and character actors for meet and greets), sent out bts specials on every channel, etc...

There is just no way they didn't learn from that huge mistake.

They've alwys known that they don't have a billion dollar maker in their hands with Snow White,  but now they can be sure that they don't even have a 500M dollar maker.

They simply can't afford to waste 200+ M dollars on P&A like they did for The little mermaid on this Snow White, they need to keep the costs under 100M in hopes of achieving a breakeven. They will have this play out more like Hunted Mansion marketing wise, or get even less promotion than that.  

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

And yet no one cared about what Rachel Ziegler had to say for nearly a year because…?

People just like to be mad and get attention, and social media just feeds into it. And I’m sorry but @Valonqar’s “theory” is dumb as hell. These studios have more than enough money to promote and market their movies. They don’t need to rely on YouTube grifters to drum up awareness and support for their movies. That’s ridiculous.

funny because studios absolutely love free marketing including YT grifters. Heck, Barbenheimer started thanks to organic rivalry between these movies due to release date. It got a marketing name later but the competition was months and months old before the name was given.

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Again, being big on social media (a click away) and on a TV show (also no effort save subscription) is different from putting butts in seats. So until she puts them, it's just an assumption that following = drawing power. Awareness doesn't always mean interest. 

Not to mention that fans were fancasting Watson. No one was fancasting ZendAriel. 

Again, I didn’t say the movie would’ve suddenly become a billion dollar hit with Zendaya. I’m just saying that if stunt casting was their goal, they could’ve easily picked a bigger name than Halle Bailey. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

There has been an unreliable narrative on the gross of TLM even from the main outlets, especially regarding the OS markets. For instance, people were praising the gross of the movie here in Italy, and yet its result is on par with Dumbo (which was universally labeled as a bomb) but with a lower number of tickets sold (due to inflation). In terms of tickets sold, it was actually the worst seller out of all the disney remakes so far. That just tells you how horribly it actually fared here. 

The only good markets for TLM were USA (where it failed to reach 300 M but still came close enough, thanks to the large support from the Afro-american communities) UK- AUS (it didn't do great there but good enouh, all things considered) Brazil and the Philippines. Everywhwere else it has basically been a flop or a mild disappointment. 

Now, for Snow White they really can't go all in on these markets alone, though USA+UK+Australia are certainly VERY important, they can't carry a movie as expensive as SW to success. And I honestly don't see the anglo-world going out their way for SW the same way they did with TLM. 

I guess we will have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Zendaya would've reduced negativity around the movie significantly and therefore it would've improved box office.

Edited by TomThomas

49 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

You're right but I don't think that the strike is the reason for the lack of promotion on this one.

Despite what many try to claim, nobody expected TLM total gross to be as low as it turned out to be. Disney's heads themeslves were expecting something close to 1 Billion and hoping that it might somoehow even outgross Aladdin WW, so they went full-on with their PR machine on that one, had collabs with literally every big brand out there (from jewels, to make up, to clothing, they even sponsored the Gay Pride here in Rome with a branded float, and character actors for meet and greets), sent out bts specials on every channel, etc...

There is just no way they didn't learn from that huge mistake.

They've alwys known that they don't have a billion dollar maker in their hands with Snow White,  but now they can be sure that they don't even have a 500M dollar maker.

They simply can't afford to waste 200+ M dollars on P&A like they did for The little mermaid on this Snow White, they need to keep the costs under 100M in hopes of achieving a breakeven. They will have this play out more like Hunted Mansion marketing wise, or get even less promotion than that.  

It's not easy for Disney to make a profit from box office alone now, even if their movies break even, and the reason is Disney+. The loss of their revenue from theater division is a gain of D+. Because of D+, their home entertainment revenue has been down by $1B compared to 2019, their TV/SVOD revenue is also down by 500–700m, and the production cost of their movies has also increased by almost $1b because of inflation. Disney had $2.8B in operating income from movies in 2019, but this year they are already in 500m+ loss. So this rhetoric that Disney is losing money will continue until they make the same profit from D+ as they were making from their theatrical division before the launch of D+.

Edited by Willowra