kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

Just now, Liiviig 1998 said:

You do know Apes audience is not really similar to superhero crowd. Even the best  got A-.

Do you suddenly forget quantumania ,flash,marvels . BCS is death knell for any superhero movie.

Nolan movies get Bs and those have had great legs.

CS theory is not really plugging holes. 

Context to which kind of audience and how CS works for different  genres matters..

Apes audience is....rather similar to superhero crowd actually. Mostly male, over 30 at this point. Not as big.  Doesn't change the fact that B CINEMASCORE IS DOOM was very much the Apes narrative when it actually released here.

My gut feeling is that this is gonna be another Guardians 3 situation where the audience is much more favorable than the critics, but on a slightly smaller scale. I would love to see the Blake Lively movie dethrone Deadpool the weekend it comes out, that'd be funny.

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

OH NO NOT THE BIG OUTLETS that also panned Mario and accomplished nothing.

Yeah, but kids cartoons are not affected by reviews in many cases, very different audience.

Just now, Skim Beeble said:

My gut feeling is that this is gonna be another Guardians 3 situation where the audience is much more favorable than the critics, but on a slightly smaller scale. I would love to see the Blake Lively movie dethrone Deadpool the weekend it comes out, that'd be funny.

Yeah, people kinda forget that GOTG 3's reviews (82 RT, 64 MC) while not bad are kinda mid. It was audience WOM which was amazing and carried it.

And also if this is bad, don't forget we're talking about the same franchise which is so strong that they managed to bring a rotten/B CinemaScore movie about an F-list character to over $100M OW so this movie can still have a great OW even with poor legs. 

Maybe I’m remembering it wrong but after Doctor Strange MoM reviews came out looking rough, many people claimed that it wouldn’t matter much since the cameos and fan service that the critics disliked would be embraced by audiences. But it turned out that there was more to it than just that, the movie just wasn’t that good, and audiences realized that too and the movie’s legs were rough.

I just can’t easily dismiss these critical responses with “it’s okay the audiences will like it anyway” 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Apes audience is....rather similar to superhero crowd actually. Mostly male, over 30 at this point. Not as big.  Doesn't change the fact that B CINEMASCORE IS DOOM was very much the Apes narrative when it actually released here.

Since when is A BCS an automatic doom narrative.

Ahh  Yes lots of horror movies here have gotten the all doom reaction!!!

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Yeah, people kinda forget that GOTG 3's reviews (82 RT, 64 MC) while not bad are kinda mid. It was audience WOM which was amazing and carried it.

GOTG 3 is certified fresh on RT, so not mid at all.

• Like 2

Just now, abracadabra1998 said:

Maybe I’m remembering it wrong but after Doctor Strange MoM reviews came out looking rough, many people claimed that it wouldn’t matter much since the cameos and fan service that the critics disliked would be embraced by audiences. But it turned out that there was more to it than just that, the movie just wasn’t that good, and audiences realized that too and the movie’s legs were rough.

I just can’t easily dismiss these critical responses with “it’s okay the audiences will like it anyway” 

Dr Strange wasn't crowd pleasing, at all. 

And i haven't seen a worse use of cameos.

I don't get the issue? Were people expecting a masterpiece? 6 years ago there was already a resigned sigh around Deadpool. Like, it's still funny in its OTT nature, but hardly great. Add to that...everything, and this was never going to be the type of breath of fresh air that would facilitate amazing reviews. 

All it needs to be is entertaining, to make money, and Marvel will be happy.

Last couple of live action CBM sequel drops

Aquaman 2: -63% on Aquaman

The Marvels: -81% on Captain Marvel

Guardians 3: -8% on Guardians 2

Shazam 2: -59% on Shazam

Ant-Man 3: -1% on Ant-Man 2

Black Panther 2: -35% on Black Panther

So even if Deadpool 3 has bad legs it's basically guaranteed to outgross its predecessor (Deadpool 2 at $312M) domestically which is impressive considering how  the last 7 CBMs have all dropped from their predecessor, even GOTG 3 which had great reception dropped from GOTG 2. When GOTG 3 dropped around $30M from GOTG 2 it was still praised as a great run, but if Deadpool 3 increases $70M+ from Deadpool 2 people will still be like "nooo this run is bad because of XYZ"

Edited by HummingLemon496

4 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Since when is A BCS an automatic doom narrative.

Ahh  Yes lots of horror movies here have gotten the all doom reaction!!!

To put this in perspective, even on here people conside B Cinemascores for horror "normal" most of the time. There was an attitude that Apes would do like a 65 percent collapse after its opening weekend because B Cinemascore is unthinkable for "normal" scifi action movies though. It was a horrendous overreaction even by this board's standards.

The original Deadpool's OW adjusts to around $170M if I recall correctly. I have a hard time believing this would go much under that considering all the buzz. I expect considerably higher than $170M regardless of reviews but maybe I'm just talking out my ass.

Edited by Skim Beeble

2 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Sure, but maybe it’ll be the same with Deadpool? We don’t really know is my point 

One of biggest problem of MoM was turning a fan favorite character into a genocide maniac and other favorite character an incompetent loser.

I don't think Deadpool and Wolverine is going to do that to Deadpool and Wolverine.