Freddy vs. Jason

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Freddy vs. Jason

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

After years of development purgatory, finally, we get to see these two 80's horror bohemoths battle it out. And battle it out they do. There is more blood in here that the opening 20 minutes in Saving Private Ryan. And that is exactly what we all wanted. Freddy vs. Jason was the best film of the summer and based on it's opening of 36 million dollars and a final tally of more than 80 mill, it is safe to say that it delivered the goods.

For anyone who doesn't know by now, the basic premise of the film is that Freddy Krueger can no longer invade the minds of Elm Street kids. They have been taking a new anti dream pill and this prevents them from dreaming about anything, including Freddy. Without their dreams, Freddy is powerless to live. So he has to scour the depths of Hell to find something that will shake them up, something that will get them having nightmares again. And of course that "something" is Jason Voorhees.

Now there is no explanation as to how Jason comes back to life, only that Freddy brought him back. And he immediately starts to kill. If you are looking for a plot in this film, you have come to the wrong place because they don't even pretend that there is one. What we get instead, is blood, boobs, hysterically absurd characters and lots of fun. In fact, I cannot remember having this much fun in the theater since I don't know when. Characters are introduced so the can die in this film. We see plenty of sex scenes and the ensuing death scenes are violent, bloody and final. This reminds me of an 80's slasher film. Ronny Yu has given us all a subliminal wink wink as he delivers all the goods. You have your standard stupid teens that party, get high and have sex before they die. And this is just the first 45 minutes of the film. The last 30-45 minutes of the film is all Jason and Freddy battling it out, icon vs. icon. And when they meet for the second time, all frikking hell breaks loose and it is one of the most adrenaline induced scenes in any film of recent memory. Freddy vs. Jason is truly a masterful film. This is everything you could want in a movie like this.

One final note and that is the debate about the ending. You would think that because Freddy helped build New Line into the powerhouse that it is today, Freddy would get preferential treatment over Jason. Wrong you are. The very end of this film is perfect. It ends on the note that it should and it just goes to show us once again how much Ronny Yu and New Line wanted to give the fans what we wanted.

9 out of 10

• Like 1

This predates the Avengers by 10 years.  And this is the concept the Avengers kind of went for.  Different concept of course but imo, just as effective.  I love this film.  

• Like 1

This predates the Avengers by 10 years. And this is the concept the Avengers kind of went for. Different concept of course but imo, just as effective. I love this film.

Same here.It really delivers on the title and doesn't beat around the bush. Plus I love the over the top, practical effectsVery fun movie A-

Haven't seen this in a couple of years but loved this movie, and it was overall pretty badass to see Freddy and Jason against each other and had some cool kills and fight scenes but the ending made me wonder what would happen because really Freddy didnt die. So overall an A-

It's fun but I'm not sure how much I like it. I hate Jason's Looney Tunes super strength and the lead is a contender for most annoying final girl ever. Englund's having fun but he's past it by this stage. There's also that nonsense about Jason being afraid of water when he willingly goes into the lake quite a few times in the series. Rock music during their fight made me cringe.