Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Are you saying there was no quality control from Disney or LucasFilm for RO?

That doesn't make any sense from a business stand point.

Disney has a 4 billion dollar investment and LucasFilm has alot to prove.

I'm saying all the "Anthology" films were greenlit as cash grabs, nothing more nothing less. Whether or not they actually turn out worthwhile is entirely dependent on the people involved. Disney head honchos really don't care, these exist to make the money they know they will no matter what. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It needs at least 101m in pre-sales to be an event. 

Btw, if these pre-sales are exploding to 75m+ numbers, where's all the official announcement and gloating about it like we got last year with TFA's 100m+ figure? 

I believe Fandango always does their presales report Thursday every time, and the 100+ for TFA was the day of previews I believe.  

Just now, AABATTERY said:

Over for both. I'm in for a shitshow.

If this was a Marvel or DC (or even Potter :ph34r:) OW, I would have set the thread ban number higher (say 2.5).  But there just aren't THAT many people with a hate-on for this movie.  

So that first question really is:  Will ANYONE get a thread ban because they throw a tantrum in THIS thread.

(NOTE:  It has to be from this thread.  Someone gets an R1 ban handed to them because of a different thread, it totes doesn't count.  I'm sneaky that way ;):P)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

Yup, Rth said AMC represents 7% of theaters and about 20% of dollar grosses.

So if it's at $15m tomorrow night that means there is probably 70+ million in total presales nationwide.

But does it also represent a greater % of available pre-order seating?    CW had almost $10m in pre-sales from his chain.  I don't think it had $50m in pre-sales though.  Ditto BVS which was at almost $9m in pre-sales at his chain having $45m.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, IMojammer said:

I believe Fandango always does their presales report Thursday every time, and the 100+ for TFA was the day of previews I believe.  

You sure? I could've sworn we were all freaking out about the 100m+pre-sale announcement as early as like the Monday  before release. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You sure? I could've sworn we were all freaking out about the 100m+pre-sale announcement as early as like the Monday  before release. 

It was announced on the 16th, a Wed

Edit on Tues the 15th

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-force-awakens-advance-849156

Year-end holiday advance ticket sales for J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: The Force Awakens have crossed $100 million in North America, an unheard-of number, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter

That includes $50 million to $60 million in advance ticket sales for the film's opening weekend. Force Awakens, which held its world premiere Monday night in Los Angeles, begins rolling out Thursday night before playing everywhere Friday morning.

Disney continued to decline comment on advance tickets sales. In recent days, theater owners have been adding screenings of the film to accommodate demand, with studio insiders stressing there are still plenty of seats available over opening weekend. In order to play the movie, theaters have to commit to carrying Force Awakens for four to five weeks.

The previous record-holder for advance ticket sales was The Dark Knight Rises in 2012 with $25 million. Sources say Force Awakens sales could even be north of $120 million.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm saying all the "Anthology" films were greenlit as cash grabs, nothing more nothing less. Whether or not they actually turn out worthwhile is entirely dependent on the people involved. Disney head honchos really don't care, these exist to make the money they know they will no matter what. 

Anthology movies opens the door to tons of possibilities.

Why would any Star Wars fan want to limit the possibilities for SW films?

They're covering familiar ground now but they're just getting warmed up.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

But does it also represent a greater % of available pre-order seating?    CW had almost $10m in pre-sales from his chain.  I don't think it had $50m in pre-sales though.  Ditto BVS which was at almost $9m in pre-sales at his chain having $45m.

Honestly who cares? It doesn't matter at all to the argument. In an apples to apples comparison Rogue One is blowing away both BVS and CW, movies that opened over $165M. Period.

2 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

So after the death of my ex-fiance a few months ago, I finally accepted a date...

It may or may not have been due to her having 2 IMAX tickets to Rogue One at UA Denver IMAX Saturday afternoon...:ph34r:

I like the person already.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It needs at least 101m in pre-sales to be an event. 

Btw, if these pre-sales are exploding to 75m+ numbers, where's all the official announcement and gloating about it like we got last year with TFA's 100m+ figure? 

:apocalypse:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Did we have more extensive data then? Because I'm 99% certain the 100m+ presale stat had been brought up here much sooner than day of release. 

I just did a search for the week before and the earliest date I could find was December 15th.   I dammed my post.  I know we got the crossing $50m far earlier than that though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Honestly who cares? It doesn't matter at all to the argument. In an apples to apples comparison Rogue One is blowing away both BVS and CW, movies that opened over $165M. Period.

I wonder what you will say then when it opens below 165m hmm? 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I wonder what you will say then when it opens below 165m hmm? 

giphy.gif

I wonder what you'll say when it opens above $150M? That you really didn't have an informed opinion and hadn't done the research or paid attention and that your weird bias got in the way of the facts?

4 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

:blink:   Because it was brought up and we're discussing numbers and projections from a source of data and this is a box office site? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I wonder what you'll say when it opens above $150M? That you really didn't have an informed opinion and hadn't done the research or paid attention and that your weird bias got in the way of the facts?

My opinion has always been based on Star Wars having a huge fanbase that will inflate the pre-sales, the casual interest not being super strong, and December openings. Nothing else.

Edited by MovieMan89